Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Class 2A Final: Owensboro Catholic/Russell discussion

Who wins the 2A State Title? 200 members have voted

  1. 1. Who wins the 2A State Title?

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Featured Replies

Russell will miss Horn but RB is one position the Devils are deep at. Look for Nick Lewis and Tyler Jones to log some carries this week in the absence of Horn.

  • Replies 336
  • Views 30.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do the ACES have many players that play both ways?

Do the ACES have many players that play both ways?

I think they only have about 3-4, but they are not full time "2 way" players as the just come in for a couple of plays here and there only.. They are mostly lineman as the Aces are pretty deep in several areas. QB, WR's RB's TE all just one way. LB's, DB's all one way I am pretty sure.

From the story in the Owensboro newspaper, Desales Wing T offense moved the ball versus OC. They failed to score on three possessions inside the 15 yard line. Maybe Russell can convert if and when they get into the red zone.

The only advantage I see OC having is they have been here before but that will not be enough.

 

Russell 28

OC 27

This one should be the closest of the four in my mind. I will take O cath in a close fight.

I love how easily each other's fans are offended by comments such as "we're clicking on all cylinders" or "we have the total package" -- as if the other team does not.

 

At this point in the season, it's clearly safe to say that BOTH teams are clicking on all cylinders, BOTH teams have the total package to win the state title, BOTH teams are well coached, BOTH teams have a loyal and vocal fan base, and BOTH teams are hungry to win the title. If you have players on your team that aren't hungry to win a state title, check their pulse and send them home Saturday morning.

 

How anyone can say one team has more than the other in any of the above categories is beyond me. Anyone who claims such is wrong. I'd much rather read about the X's and O's of this game from the knowledgable posters and see the rah-rah guys checked at the door.

That is the best post on this thread.

Does that put more pressure on Clark as the RB as Horn looked like a good RB back gone for the big game?

No. Russell is very deep ing the backfield. Chad Edwards, Nick Lewis, Tyler Jones and the QB Tommy Brown are all capable of a big numbers running the football. I believe all of them have at least 1 100 yard game this year.

I spoke on the phone with Michael Horn yesterday (friend of the family). He said that he dislocated his elbow and chipped the bone in the joint. The doctors also think that he has torn ligaments. He will have an MRI Monday to see if he needs surgery. He told me that he was done for the year.

 

I hate to see him hurt and have to miss the championship game. But, I’m sure that he will get good care and heal nicely.

As for O.C. players playing both ways - i beleive there is 1 player who is almost a full time both ways - but even he is rotated out on a regular basis. The "fatigue factor" has been an issue with just about every team the aces have faced this year, except Desales who had very few playing both ways. Trigg Co. was a very big and a very physical team, many of their players were exhausted before the end of the 1st half. By the 4th qtr - several players were cramping and coming out. Even ft. Campbell- with their talent couldn't avoid the fatigue. The Aces execute a "no huddle" offense almost 2 perfection, plays usually start with 18-19 sec on left on 25 sec clock. look to see up to 80 plays ran by the Aces by the end of the game.

I cant see OC running 80 plays a game against Russell, Russell controls the ball toomuch and I dont care what type of no huddle offense they run I dont see it. Well if you run 3 and out 26 possesions that might give you 80 plays. I can see that happening if we played all day. Really I dont see OC running that many plays.

I love how easily each other's fans are offended by comments such as "we're clicking on all cylinders" or "we have the total package" -- as if the other team does not.

 

At this point in the season, it's clearly safe to say that BOTH teams are clicking on all cylinders, BOTH teams have the total package to win the state title, BOTH teams are well coached, BOTH teams have a loyal and vocal fan base, and BOTH teams are hungry to win the title. If you have players on your team that aren't hungry to win a state title, check their pulse and send them home Saturday morning.

 

How anyone can say one team has more than the other in any of the above categories is beyond me. Anyone who claims such is wrong. I'd much rather read about the X's and O's of this game from the knowledgable posters and see the rah-rah guys checked at the door.

 

I agree, can't say anything without other teams fans getting offended.

How well has the new QB played that replaced the kid who signed with Marshall? Has there been any drop off at all?

 

Woodward has done a great job filling the shoes of Barnard. Like someone said he doesn't have the same touch but he gets the job done. He is VERY quick when he scrambles. We did not have that luxury last year.

 

He also has thrown for around 3,200 yds and 40 td's

Our ground game has also been very good with over 2,500 yds

I spoke on the phone with Michael Horn yesterday (friend of the family). He said that he dislocated his elbow and chipped the bone in the joint. The doctors also think that he has torn ligaments. He will have an MRI Monday to see if he needs surgery. He told me that he was done for the year.

 

I to see him hurt and have to miss the championship game. But, I’m sure that he will get good care and heal nicely.

If you will, wish him well from me. I believe I could take it upon myself to say that the entire "green nation" of the Aces wish him well also. It is a tragedy to have an injury at all, much less at a time like this.

Final Prediction

 

For the Russell faithful that may not know, I post a weekly "Owensboro Area Predictions" thread for the teams in the "Owensboro Area." I am not a Catholic fan per se -- I have been an "Owensboro Area Fan" for longer than many posters were born I'm sure. That being said, here we go:

 

Catholic - 21 -- Russell - 13

 

This will be an exciting game to watch and I am looking forward to the matchup. Russell wil definitely present some challenges for the Catholic Defense. DeSales was able to move the ball on Catholic in spurts and I would expect that Russell will be more proficient in the running game than DeSales. I look for the Red Devils to control the clock and try to keep it out of the hands of the ACES offense. This will be a hard fought game and the score will be close for almost the entire game. According to what I am reading, Russell appears to have several players that go both ways: if this is true, this will definitely be in Catholic's favor. In order for Russell to neutralize the Catholic depth they will have to be successful in keeping the Catholic offense on the bench. Respectfully, Russell has not seen the type of offense that Catholic will bring to Papa John's. I am not saying that they won't be able to make adjustments, but it will definitely be a challenge for them. It is hard for high school scout teams to simulate what Catholic puts on the field. Catholic relys heavily on precision. This is not a gimmick type offense. It is more liberal than the Wing T, but it is not the "let's throw the ball around" style either. They execute the no huddle to perfection and their players are very disciplined in all areas. I predict that Catholic will pull away in the 4th quarter. This game will be similar in some ways to the Belfry game, however, and most importantly, the Catholic defense is much improved. Last year, Catholic was whipped horribly on defense, but now those kids are older and more experienced. I expect Russell to give Catholic all that they have. I am going with Catholic, not because I'm true blue, but because I have seen them win some remarkable games against what I thought would be almost impossible wins (Trigg County and Ft. Campbell). Good luck to both teams.

 

Quick Facts:

 

I read a post/comment on this thread concerning the "private" issue. Russell fans you can be assured that Catholic does not fall into this category. Truthfully, this school's existence is on loose ground. This is not Louisville or Lexington. Owensboro Catholic does not have buckets of money. The kids from OCath play with what they have and it isn't much. For example, until about 5 years ago, Catholic didn't have enough money to purchase home and away uniforms -- they played every game in 1 color (yellow jerseys / green pants). I can elaborate with more examples if you would like, but, I just want everyone from Russell to know that the "recruiting, private, money, etc. issue" is not the case at OCHS.

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.