Who's streak is more impressive Ripken, Jr. or Favre?

Who streak is more impressive?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Who streak is more impressive?

Favre got hit a lot even when he threw the ball away to avoid a sack. He also hung in the pocket and got drilled right after waiting for a play to develop and then making an amazing throw. He also didn't get moved to punter to keep his career going... :D

Did you read the part where I said his streak was more impressive or did you just assume that I'd vote for the baseball guy? :p

It's crazy he never broke a bone that's kept him out or sprained a ligament, muscle...etc. There are more game missing injuries in the church softball league than Favre has had.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There are too many games to count games, you have to look at it in terms of years IMO. 16 years for Cal and 18 years for Brett. Brett, IMO, is the more impressive. Nothing at all vs. Cal but it's Brett.

This is a nice fact.

I just think the brutality of football make this an easy choice. I do think Cal's record is impressive.

I think both are awesome achievements but I don't know how any NFL player can lace them up for 297 straight games. I know how horrible I felt after being hit my slow HS defenders, I couldn't imagine or want to think of how bad Favres' body has felt for the past 19 seasons. Ripken's work deserves credit but I can't remember saying Favre needs to sit this week, while Ripken probably should have taken a game or two off due to struggles on the diamond.

I do have a question about Ripken's streak. I noticed on the link to his career that he didn't actually play 162 games a few times during his career, did the O's not play 162 games due to weather that weren't made up later in the year?

Ripken played in about 98% of the innings during the streak. Also, if you get hurt or sick in baseball, you only have one day to get better. You have a week in football and sometimes two.

Did Favre take 98% of the snaps during his streak. I'm guessing that the numbers are comparable.

I'm more of a football guy, but to play 6 games a week for 16 years for 6 months a year; and to have played in twice as many consecutive games as the guy in third place makes Cal's streak more impressive to me. I know these are apples to oranges, but to have doubled the guy in third place, here are some "comps":

Career home runs: 1,428 (Ruth had 714; all-time record is 762)

Career TDs thrown: 162 (Rauf had 81; all-time record is 97)

Consecutive MLB games with base-hit: 88 (Rose had 44; all-time record is 56)

Edited by mcpapa

Ripken is catching a lot of flack for the possibility that he only played a half-inning to keep the streak alive, while Favre started all his games. My question is this: how many games should Favre have removed himself after the first series because he was hurt and ultimately cost his team a game because he wasn't playing well due to injury? Not a knock on the guy; I seriously want to know. The guy is a true competitor and wants to win... a virtue that, taken to excess, has often been to his detriment.

It's hard to say which is the most impressive. Both are streaks that will never be broken. Farve took hits that would hospitalize most of us. Ripken played almost daily for 16 years.

If pushed, I would probably vote for Farve due to the physical violence he endured over 18yrs.