Are they "classless" or are you soft?????

I don't think there is a single comment in this discussion that doesn't have validity. The conflict is some people try to be old school, zero tolerance while others say that reactions to offensive situations only give them longer life. I would not let my child wear a shirt with a swear word on it. If I was an administrator and I saw or heard something offensive, I would kick that kid out. But as an average adult fan in the stands, I think if I confronted a student in an offensive situation it would only ignite the situation more so because I gave them attention as a spectator.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think there is a single comment in this discussion that doesn't have validity. The conflict is some people try to be old school, zero tolerance while others say that reactions to offensive situations only give them longer life. I would not let my child wear a shirt with a swear word on it. If I was an administrator and I saw or heard something offensive, I would kick that kid out. But as an average adult fan in the stands, I think if I confronted a student in an offensive situation it would only ignite the situation more so because I gave them attention as a spectator.

:thumb: Exactly, there is no right or wrong opinion but people need to understand discretion and that it's not always an easy fix. If you're upset over behavior at a game then report it to an administrator or police officer, that's why they're there.

I have been to a looooooooooot of football games over the years and have seen the best and worst in people. Overall, I think kids will be kids and there is always some "less than classy" behavior on kids at every school.

I am more likely to judge class by the behavior of the adults. I never mind when adults get overheated and yell at what they consider bad plays. That shows heart and passion.

I do draw the line when adults are harrassing students or players. Last week there was a small group of people, including about 3 adults, who were standing outside the Beechwood locker room. When the players came out after half time, they started name calling. The behavior on the part of the kids did not bother me, but the adults....well, that was not only classless, but somewhat pathetic. I certainly would not judge the entire school based on that. Most of Frankfort's group was very nice and accommodating.

With one or two exceptions, I would never brand an entire school "classless". I can say that the schools I would consider classless, have been that way forever, one generation teaching another. That is sad.

Lastly, I do have to agree with Blockbuster. It is usually the losing team that makes the "classless call."

Yeah, we see how that worked out for them!:thumb:

I do have a question for those of you who have played football. Most of this has been devoted to spectators. What about teams? I know my boys have played against teams that spit, sucker punch, grab during pile ups. I am not talking trash talk, I am talking about physical cheap shots. Is this classless or is it football?

I do have a question for those of you who have played football. Most of this has been devoted to spectators. What about teams? I know my boys have played against teams that spit, sucker punch, grab during pile ups. I am not talking trash talk, I am talking about physical cheap shots. Is this classless or is it football?

In my opinion, that's classless. Talk all you want but there's no excuse for dirty tricks to try to win the game. If coaches condone that type of play, they aren't very good coaches.

Every week there is a new thread about someone being unclassy or poor behavior from coaches, fans, and players. I have even been lured into the discussion a few times. But its out of control, I think people are just too sensitive!:scared:

The key to everything is balance. Some people are very classless and some are overly sensitive. You need to stike a balance betweent the two. Personally, I only care about what is happening out on the field and what the final is. Nothing else matters to me.

Overall, I think kids will be kids and there is always some "less than classy" behavior on kids at every school.

I am more likely to judge class by the behavior of the adults. I never mind when adults get overheated and yell at what they consider bad plays. That shows heart and passion.

I do draw the line when adults are harrassing students or players. When the players came out after half time, they started name calling. The behavior on the part of the kids did not bother me, but the adults....well, that was not only classless, but somewhat pathetic.

With one or two exceptions, I would never brand an entire school "classless". I can say that the schools I would consider classless, have been that way forever, one generation teaching another. That is sad.

I agree for the most part with all that you said in your post. I especially agree with the "so called adults/fans" that were yelling at kids. That kind of crap goes way beyond classless, is as you said pathtic at best. People like that not only do not belong at a high school sporting event but I have to wonder if they should even be in public :rolleyes:. Actions like that tell far more about the idiots yelling than it does about the kids/school.

I also agree about schools/fan bases passing classless actions down through generations. I really can only think of one school in our area that has proved that true....past,present and no doubt for the future as well. That has also applied for the most part with their coaches. One exception was a very good coach that was there several years ago and he, imo was railroaded out bc he wouldn't go along with the same good ol' boy stuff they had been doing for years and years. That individual is now at another school and doing well and the school system I speak of is still working in the same ways.

I don't blame the kids, they only go on the examples set for them.

Because I had to explain those shirts to my 7 and 12 year old at the game. Not the experience I was looking for when I took them.

I undestand where you're coming from but some of those high school students are in fact adults by law. Therefore their parents have little say about what they do or wear etc. Unfortunately sporting events are becoming less and less a family atmosphere even at the high school level. Actually I think they haven't been for a long time but people are finally starting to recognize it.

Because I had to explain those shirts to my 7 and 12 year old at the game. Not the experience I was looking for when I took them.

You can't control what 18 year old kids are going to say, do, or wear, but you can control where you take your 7 and 12 year old children. I'm not encouraging the shirts that they wear, but we're in no place to tell them what they can and cannot wear. If they want to wear the shirts that IMPLY a curse word, then they're going to wear them, whether anyone on this board likes them or not. Just look the other way, it's really that simple.

You can't control what 18 year old kids are going to say, do, or wear, but you can control where you take your 7 and 12 year old children. I'm not encouraging the shirts that they wear, but we're in no place to tell them what they can and cannot wear. If they want to wear the shirts that IMPLY a curse word, then they're going to wear them, whether anyone on this board likes them or not. Just look the other way, it's really that simple.

So you are saying that you shouldn't be able to take a young kid to a high school event because students are going to wear vulgar material?:rolleyes:

I would say that it's a part of football...just as there are elements of baseball (e.g. - brushbacks, plunks, runners sliding into second with their spikes in the air when a fielder is trying to turn a double play) that people don't like. However, I would say that, at least in my experience, it's the players that are on the losing side of a play, or block, or pass coverage or what have you that are finding opportunities to spit, sucker punch and take cheap shots. The players who are concentrating on the play at hand, their techniques, their coverage/blocks/routes, etc. that are too preoccupied with making a good play to bother with that junk.