Religious Knowledge Quiz

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 out of 15. Didn't get the one about Jewish Sabbath right. I knew it had something to do with Saturday though.

Their religious calendar, much like the Catholic Church's officially goes sunset to sunset. Of course they strictly follow it, but a mass at 5:00 on Saturday in the summer for some reason counts. A bit of bending the rules so to speak.

14/15 for me by the way.

What I found interesting is that a larger percentage of protestant Christians correctly responded to the question about prayer not being allowed in schools than did the question about the Ten Commandments. It reminds me of the interview Stephen Colbert did with Georgia congressman Lyn Westmoreland who was a staunch advocate of the Ten Commandments being posted in courthouses and schools but couldn't name all the commandments himself.

I took this quiz when it came out Monday and scored 15/15... but then, I have spent a lot of time reading and trying to understand what I need to believe... and why others believe what they do.

It goes back to the 80-some percent we hear all the time that claim to believe in God... but when we actually see what it is they believe or genuinely understand... that 80+ percent might actually be less than 40%. Not suggesting that anyone needs to be a religious scholar to believe in or have a relationship with God... in fact, I believe that a genuine relationship with God trumps all the book knowledge anyone could attain.

I guess my point is, our relationship with God and our understanding why we believe what we believe is the very most important thing any of us could put our attention to... but for the most part... we don't. God is nowhere near "first place" in most of our lives. He should be. ( I'm preaching at myself first here... )