6 Classes in football

Pride

One reason is that you can only play a football game once a week,

and this would expand the tournament to about eight weeks, and nine

if both the district champion and runner up went to regionals.

There are probably other, much better reasons, but I won't be able

to come up with all of them.

Other than changing the number of teams in a district, if you just split up the classes to 6 instead of 4, it's still the same number of teams in the first round, and still takes 5 games to get to state. It would not take longer. It may include everyone though, I haven't done the math yet.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

True, but you have 6 teams proving it instead of 4. Isn't that their true goal?

Yes, but I think you are doing more harm than good by doing that.

Kentucky is trying to reach the level of performance in football as

other states around it, such as Ohio and Virginia. To do this, they

need make sure there is competition compelling teams to win a re-

spectable championship. By puting 36 teams per class, no other state

around here (exception of WVA and IN) would view the tourny as

respectable.

First, it is hard for me to believe that a kid or a coach is going to work any less hard because there are only 36 teams in his class.

Second, this subject has been brought up because of the descrepency in numbers in 1A and 4A. These are the only two classes where a team has to face a school double their size to win a state championship. It makes it very hard for the bottom half of 1A and 4A to compete in their districts year in and year out.

I don't get it.

Other than changing the number of teams in a district, if you just split up the classes to 6 instead of 4, it's still the same number of teams in the first round, and still takes 5 games to get to state. It would not take longer. It may include everyone though, I haven't done the math yet.

I was responding to his idea about 1 class for all the teams.

Yes, but I think you are doing more harm than good by doing that.

Kentucky is trying to reach the level of performance in football as

other states around it, such as Ohio and Virginia. To do this, they

need make sure there is competition compelling teams to win a re-

spectable championship. By puting 36 teams per class, no other state

around here (exception of WVA and IN) would view the tourny as

respectable.

Agreed. :thumb:

First, it is hard for me to believe that a kid or a coach is going to work any less hard because there are only 36 teams in his class.

Second, this subject has been brought up because of the descrepency in numbers in 1A and 4A. These are the only two classes where a team has to face a school double their size to win a state championship. It makes it very hard for the bottom half of 1A and 4A to compete in their districts year in and year out.

I see what you are saying for your first point, but when you play

against diluted competition your natural tendency is to slow progress

of a team and thus the class.

For your second point, I again could see MAYBE doing that, but I don't

know because Russell, the team I follow most closely, does not have

that problem.

It makes it very hard for the bottom half of 1A and 4A to compete in their districts year in and year out.

Good.

We are talking about a state championship. The team I follow is Campbell County who did not make the play-offs. Although that occured I am very happy with their season and view it as successful. A team can set different goals, and be content and proud of accomplishments without a state championship. I don't ever want to hear of a state championship becoming diluted, because it is supposed to be the cream of the crop.

What does everyone think about the idea of having 6 classes in football starting in '07?

Personally i think anything that crowns a few more champions and that involves more teams in the playoffs is good. IF we want to promote the growth of football in our state. I think this is a 'no-brainer'. :ylsuper:

217/6=36.167

So each class would have either 36 or 37 schools. If you have 32 playoff teams in each class, then only three or four teams miss the playoffs. Then it's no better than Indiana's system, in which making the postseason is considered a right rather than a reward for hard work.

I bet all of us will lose a lot of sleep based on how other states view our high school state title format (lol). Football has come a long way in the bluegrass state in the past 15 years. I bet Tennessee respects our high school football much more now than 15 years ago. The idea is to promote high school football. Someone pointed out that coaches or players won't work any less hard due to a change. I also bet the two additional high schools fans won't boycot the state title trophy either. Heck they might also come to all the additional playoff games. :D

Nope. I am looking at the entire state as a whole! I am not trying whine about anything as you seem to imply. I am discussing a legitimate topic that is big in the high shcool football world at this time.

This is ridiculous. How many teams will be in the 6A class? It will be like 10 teams. How many will be in the other classes? It will be around 30 teams. Heres a idea, lets just crown whoever wins their region a state champion!!!!

Good.

We are talking about a state championship. The team I follow is Campbell County who did not make the play-offs. Although that occured I am very happy with their season and view it as successful. A team can set different goals, and be content and proud of accomplishments without a state championship. I don't ever want to hear of a state championship becoming diluted, because it is supposed to be the cream of the crop.

THANK YOU. When a small school finally gets the right combination to win the state championship, it would mean so much more when they knock off the larger schools to do it, a la Clark County in 1991. Only team to beat Trinity and then St. X in back to back weeks.