6 Classes in football

Pride

I have no problem with 5A. Adding 6A may be a little much. For 5A take any school with an enrollment of a certain number, say 1,600, and above. If thats 8 schools (I don't really know I'm just making a point) so be it. Then 5A may only have two 4 team regions. The rest of the dates would be open to schedule other opponents from within or outside Kentucky. You may even add a twist by letting smaller petition to be in 5A for a minimum of three years. I really don't think anyone would do it, but it would be an interesting concept.

In Jefferson County the 5A teams would be:

St. X

Trinity

Ballard

Manual

Butler

Male

PRP

Seneca

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I never meant to imply that that there wouldn't be a competitive disadvantage. I did mean to imply that there will ALWAYS be competitive disadvantages classes or no classes.

A championship is a lofty goal, if it is to lofty for your school than it shouldn't be your school's goal, and thier is absolutly NOTHING wrong with that.

Are you saying that we should be the only state that doesn't consider the competitive disadvantage from the smaller schools and just have 1 state champ for football? That is kind of like having no weight classes in boxing. Let's just put the 114 pounders in with the 250 pounders and see what happens and only have 1 boxing champion. I think we know what happens and that is the reason to have different classes.

I have no problem with 5A. Adding 6A may be a little much. For 5A take any school with an enrollment of a certain number, say 1,600, and above. If thats 8 schools (I don't really know I'm just making a point) so be it. Then 5A may only have two 4 team regions. The rest of the dates would be open to schedule other opponents from within or outside Kentucky. You may even add a twist by letting smaller petition to be in 5A for a minimum of three years. I really don't think anyone would do it, but it would be an interesting concept.

In Jefferson County the 5A teams would be:

St. X

Trinity

Ballard

Manual

Butler

Male

PRP

Seneca

LSU and TU I think are right on. The only real competitive disadvantages exist at the 4A and 1A levels because they are "open-ended" (4A at the top-end and 1A at the bottom).

To simply say they'll split all the schools into 4 "even" divisions based on the NUMBERS OF TEAMS is not really a split based on what classifications for FOOTBALL are meant to solve (that numbers DO matter in football).

And kudos to them...doing such a thing -- while it makes a lot more common sense when consider why classes exist at all -- puts the school they root for at less of an advantage (fewer of the "little guys" to "rest on" in the early rounds of the playoffs).

Only thing I disagree with some is that I would not make that "over 1600" group an entire "class" in and of itself. I know first-hand that some of those "small 4A's" CAN compete with the big-boys...but not on a 5-weeks-in-a-row basis (plus, I think Ky. is too small to justify any more than 4 champions)...I'd let the "lower part of 4A" (those between schools #54 and #17) play to determine who comes out to play the winner of "The Big 16."

To simply say they'll split all the schools into 4 "even" divisions based on the NUMBERS OF TEAMS is not really a split based on what classifications for FOOTBALL are meant to solve (that numbers DO matter in football).

They are a factor, but certainly not the ONLY factor, and one that CAN and IS overcome.

Wow! I never looked at it that way. I'm sure somebody mentioned it before now. Right? I don't know if you could do that, but it's a good thought.

The biggest problem I see is that some program somewhere would cut kids or run them off in order to be in a smaller class.

You make it so they can't do it, I know it may be difficult to manage this. I just thought I would look outside the box a little.

How about the coach recruiting his own school like every good coach should do????? That is part of the job description.

Some kids just need a little push and a little love(hint: Yeagle's & Mueller's secret).

Holmes's head coach has done everything in his power to get more kids out. Alot of kids in the Covington program only want to put in the work if they are going to play all of the time. Numerous kids will sit out a year or two and then come back when they know they can start. It is tough to draw kids out in this area, the kids would rather work, play video games, party, etc. I am not making excuses, I was just looking outside the box a little.

Holmes's head coach has done everything in his power to get more kids out. Alot of kids in the Covington program only want to put in the work if they are going to play all of the time. Numerous kids will sit out a year or two and then come back when they know they can start. It is tough to draw kids out in this area, the kids would rather work, play video games, party, etc. I am not making excuses, I was just looking outside the box a little.

Why was Kenny Turner so successful then?

They two-platooned, utilized their speed and athleticism, went to Ft. Thomas and beat Highlands; he was able to really get the ball rolling.

Then they let him go, and Holmes has never been the same since.

Personally I don't understand why we have to keep the classes with an even number of schools. I think it should go by size only. If you say you want 5 classes and do cut offs at 350, 650, 950, 1300, 1300+ then just do it. If you end up with 38 schools in 1A and 52 schools in 3A who cares at least they are all the same size, as long as you double the enrollment of the all boy schools.