6 Classes in football

Pride

What does everyone think about the idea of having 6 classes in football starting in '07?

Personally i think anything that crowns a few more champions and that involves more teams in the playoffs is good. IF we want to promote the growth of football in our state. I think this is a 'no-brainer'. :ylsuper:

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just curious as to why it is "ridiculous". Right now there are no 'cutoff' numbers. The KHSAA just divides the schools from the bottom up into 4 sections or classes. Adding two classes will give the small 4A and small A more of a chance to compete for a title as opposed to small 4A (Bryan Station for example) competing with schools that might have 4 to 6 hundred more kids to choose from.

According to this pdf file from the KHSAA, there are 217 football-playing schools in the 4 classes (54 in each class). 6 classes would be 36 or so in each class if they are broken down the same way.

I don't know any of the details of this 6-class proposal, this is the first I've heard of it. But we already have 32 out of 54 teams in each class making the playoffs (16 per semi-state, 2 semi-states per class...right?). If we spread the classes thinner & keep the same semi-state setups, it will be like the NHL where everyone makes the playoffs & marginalizes the regular season.

Personally, I think 5 classes would be pushing it. I'm with westsider's opinion that 6 would be ridiculous.

4 is too many.

32 teams of 54 make the playoffs in each class; that is absurd.

IN is worse letting everybody in; OH has 32 of 100+; that teaches kids the value of hard work that really means something.

Don't forget also, that sometimes after very hard work, we still don't get what we desire; that is a life lesson that seems to get lost or forgotten.