Brett "Look At Me" Favre is a Minnesota Viking......Yet Again.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The guy's annual "retirement" game is starting to wear a little thin. He gets enough attention on the football field, why does he need to keep doing this?

I agree with you professor. It's getting old. If your a part of the team you should be there with them going through OTA's and training camp. Doesn't matter if he has been in the NFL for 20 years or not. Ray Lewis been playing since 1996 (I believe), Flozell Adams been playing for quite a bit of time also. Why is Favre different from any of these players that has been playing for a long period of time?

The guy's annual "retirement" game is starting to wear a little thin. He gets enough attention on the football field, why does he need to keep doing this?

You can thank the media IMO. It's not that hard to figure out when you step back and look at it. Just this week a 22 year old retired from the NFL. Brett Favre is a grandfather. My body hurts from my high school football days and I've only in my 30's. I couldn't imagine what it's like to be running from 300lb guys or ILBers weighing 250 running a 4.5 40 when I'm a grandparent!

It's not hard. His body hurts and he's worn out. He loves the game and loves to compete. He knows he can still play at one of the highest levels in the NFL. This year his body isn't quite healing the way you would like going into the year but that happens when you've played QB as many games as he has. The media wears it out. If they never announced anything it wouldn't be that big of a deal. It's not like the Vikings didn't know what they were getting into when they signed him. He's good enough to win it all with the Vikes and they know that. They also know it's year to year and it will be last minute. The Green Bay fiasco got blown up too. Green Bay knew the risk losing him but felt like the Rodgers investment was better for their future than waiting year to year. It's that simple. IMO it was a win for both clubs.

Favre is 40 years old ... he's never known anything but playing football, and he wants to continue to play as long as his body allows him. I can understand that completely.

If that means avoiding some wear and tear in training camp and giving himself a better chance to be healthy for the entire season, I say go for it. The Vikings are clearly OK with it, so more power to him.

I have to disagree with you guys bit...one, he didn't "retire" this year. He just didn't report. As long as Childress and his teamates don't care if he shows up, why should fans? They are the one's that battle with him every Sunday and if they are ok with it, why should it matter to us. One of these years, my guess is this year his body will start to break down and he wont put up the impressive numbers and then and only then will they not allow this to happen every year. Aside from that, Favre lives in as close to a perfect world as an NFL'r can find.

Most sports fans can't wait to watch a Hall of Famer...including myself ! :thumb:

especially since I have Sidney Rice on my fantasy team :D

I have both Brett and Sidney. I too am very glad he's coming back.

I think the Favre front has been relatively quiet and acceptable this off-season. The mysterious text message was pretty much it and I didn't feel like they went overboard on that one.

I think Favre handled it pretty well this time around, and consequently, I'm looking forward to seeing what he does this season in Minnesota, instead of waiting for him to flop.