Mount Rushmore of College coaches?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not necessarily, we don't have Christopher Columbus or Amerigo Vespucci on Mount Rushmore....they "discovered" America. Naismith invented basketball but this is for great college coaches.

Absolutely correct, but to expand on your point a little. Washington, Jeffeson, Lincoln and Roosevelt are on Mt. Rushmore. Washington and Lincoln were founding fathers they belong, of course. Phog Allen (whom no one on here as mentioned) HAS to go on as a founding father of College Basketball, he was the original Superstar Coach. Rupp IMO would be the other founding father along side of Allen as the second Superstar Coach.

Lincoln was Presdent during the darkest days in this countrys history, he was the right man, in the right place at the right time. My Lincoln on Basketball Rushmore would be Wooden. He was the right coach, at the right place at the right time to set records that will never be surpassed.

Hard to imagine today how Roosevelt made it to Mt. Rushmore, for my Basketball Mt. Rushmore I would include Knight. Hard to imagine today, but at the time he was as good as it got coaching basketball.

Smith and Coach K get the tough luck of being Kennedy and Reagan on my Mt. Rushmore. Beloved and deserving as they may be there is just room for four and those other guys got there first.

FWIW Pat Summit gets her own mountain, like Crazy Horse!!!!!

Smith and Coach K get the tough luck of being Kennedy and Reagan on my Mt. Rushmore. Beloved and deserving as they may be there is just room for four and those other guys got there first.

FWIW Pat Summit gets her own mountain, like Crazy Horse!!!!!

I can feel that. But in regards to the real Mt. Rushmore, it was built representing the first 150 years of our country, therefore Kennedy and Reagan weren't an option...since this "supposed" Rushmore were to be built today, IMO, newer coaches qualify.

I can feel that. But in regards to the real Mt. Rushmore, it was built representing the first 150 years of our country, therefore Kennedy and Reagan weren't an option...since this "supposed" Rushmore were to be built today, IMO, newer coaches qualify.

Good point.

Not necessarily, we don't have Christopher Columbus or Amerigo Vespucci on Mount Rushmore....they "discovered" America. Naismith invented basketball but this is for great college coaches.

Actually Columbus never discovered America, only Cuba. Vespuchi explored South America and in honor of his name was all new land named the Americas. The Vikings and Native Americans were here long before.

The thing about Naismith is he invented basketball not necessarily college basketball. And I heard he didn't have a very good record as a coach. So I was more less looking at success of college coaches.

Candy Cummings invented the curveball, but he wasn't all that great a pitcher. Naismith doesn't have to be on a College Coaches Mount Rushmore.

I'll go along with dolamite's choices.

Okay, I'll ask.

Why Summit?

I know it wasn't specified that it had to be Men's coaches but do you guys truly believe she is better than Wooden, Rupp, Krzyzewski, Knight, Smith, Ole Roy, Phog Allen, etc or are you guys playing politically correct and adding her because she has more wins than any college coach at a major school?

Me personally, I think she belongs on a Mt Rushmore with Geno, Judy Conradt and Vivian Stringer maybe. Call me old fashioned or whatever but I think the women's coaches get their own Rushmore. I don't think she could do what the top 10 men's coaches of all time have done if she coached men. Just an opinion.