Mount Rushmore of College coaches?

Okay, I'll ask.

Why Summit?

I know it wasn't specified that it had to be Men's coaches but do you guys truly believe she is better than Wooden, Rupp, Krzyzewski, Knight, Smith, Ole Roy, Phog Allen, etc or are you guys playing politically correct and adding her because she has more wins than any college coach at a major school?

Me personally, I think she belongs on a Mt Rushmore with Geno, Judy Conradt and Vivian Stringer maybe. Call me old fashioned or whatever but I think the women's coaches get their own Rushmore. I don't think she could do what the top 10 men's coaches of all time have done if she coached men. Just an opinion.

So by saying that, would you agree that Coach K, Wooden or Smith wouldn't be succesful womens coaches.

I'm not being politically correct, I think Pat Head Summitt would be successful coaching the Green Bay packers if she had been given the chance.

I think the top coaches would have been succesful in whatever they had decided to go into as a career. They are more leaders than just coaches.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm no KU fan at all, but why is Phog Allen not getting any love on here. If there were a Mt. Rushmore, he deserve to be there IMO. He won and won BIG before most of the guys were alive....oh yeah he also coached two of the best coaches ever (Rupp and Smith).

So by saying that, would you agree that Coach K, Wooden or Smith wouldn't be succesful womens coaches.

I'm not being politically correct, I think Pat Head Summitt would be successful coaching the Green Bay packers if she had been given the chance.

I think the top coaches would have been succesful in whatever they had decided to go into as a career. They are more leaders than just coaches.

No. I don't think any of those guys would be as successful in the women's game, especially if they had to coach against Pat and Geno. It's just two different games, IMO. There are too many factors that have to do with more than simply coaching that allows these men and women to be so successful in coaching in the men's and women's games. Again. this is all my opinion. I just think there are many differences in the men's and women's games that doesn't necessarily equal success if they switched genders. Not at that level anyways.

Knight has to be on there.

He was the best coach in the game for a long time, and the game didn't pass him by, the game got dirty and he refused to play.

Yes him choking players and acting like an idiot had nothing to do with not getting players. Lets not paint him out to be a rule-following saint...lol

The one thing I have against Knight going on this list is his teams were irrelevant from about 94 through the rest of his career.

Yes him choking players and acting like an idiot had nothing to do with not getting players. Lets not paint him out to be a rule-following saint...lol

The one thing I have against Knight going on this list is his teams were irrelevant from about 94 through the rest of his career.

And Wooden's teams were irrelevant until Suddden Sam Gilbert came along and Wooden isn't a saint either.

Edited by History
spelling

He still got players, he didn't play the AAU, WWW game though..........

I think the term saint is very appropriate when describing John Wooden. If you know anything about him I would think you'd say the same thing.

I don't mean to insult you as you are an honest man, but don't believe everything you read about people. None of us on this earth are saints. Check out his record before Sam Gilbert. I feel bad saying this due to his recent passing, but many have been portrayed as something that they are not. If he didn't know about Gilbert, then he was an ignoramus, and I don't think you can say that about coach Wooden. I did put him on my Mt. Rushmore of coaches you'll notice, but don't elevate humans above their appropriate level.

I don't mean to insult you as you are an honest man, but don't believe everything you read about people. None of us on this earth are saints. Check out his record before Sam Gilbert. I feel bad saying this due to his recent passing, but many have been portrayed as something that they are not. If he didn't know about Gilbert, then he was an ignoramus, and I don't think you can say that about coach Wooden. I did put him on my Mt. Rushmore of coaches you'll notice, but don't elevate humans above their appropriate level.

You may disagree, but the term honest and christian come to mind when I think of John Wooden, but not perfect either.