Mount Rushmore of College coaches?

Who is your Mr. Rushmore of college coaches? The whole John Wooden situation got me thinking about it.

To me there are 3 obvious ones and the 4th is tough. I think John Wooden, Coach K, and Adolph Rupp should all be on there. The other spot for me is a toss up between Dean Smith and Bobby Knight.

Unfortunately if this was a naitonal discussion I don't think Adolph Rupp would be on a lot of people's mountain. But look at his career winning % and National titlles (4 and an NIT title that was different than it is now, much more important). Hes also 3rd on the all time wins list and was made to retire because of a silly rule at UK concerning an age limit. But if you look at what he accomplished then look at how he is without a doubt responsible for the state of Kentucky mostly being basketball crazy I think he should be on there.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think with college basketball you have to have 5. Rupp and Wooden are locks, IMO. Naismith has to go up as well. If it has to be only 4 put Knight up there but as soon as Coach K passes Knight in all time wins Knight has to come down but I think all 5 should be up there together.

If we went by Title IX rules wouldn't the women have to have their own Rushmore?

John Wooden, Adolph Rupp, Dean Smith, Coach K

Pained me to put K on there, I thought about chopping my fingers off so I couldn't type it. But he has made Duke what it is, now has 4 titles, and not to mention an Olympic Gold Medal. Guy knows basketball and is very deserving.

I love Bob Knight, but had to give the edge to Smith. He does have an arena named after him, Knight on the otherhand was ran out of Bloomington.

You have to have the inventor of the game on there which is why I put Naismith in.

Not necessarily, we don't have Christopher Columbus or Amerigo Vespucci on Mount Rushmore....they "discovered" America. Naismith invented basketball but this is for great college coaches.