Paul withdraws from show appearance

Washington (CNN) - Rand Paul backed out of his Sunday morning talk show appearance, but that didn't stop people from talking about him.

Paul, the Tea Party-backed eye doctor who won Kentucky's Republican Senate primary last week, cited exhaustion as well as a desire to put behind him controversy over his comments on the Civil Rights Act in deciding against a previously scheduled appearance on NBC's "Meet the Press," according to host David Gregory.

Read More

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mistake on Paul's part if he thinks he can avoid it. Better move would be to get on as many shows as he can as soon as he can and address it head on.

He must be counting on the american voters 6 second attention span. He might be right on that.

Like to see Chris Matthews get a shot at the strange little fellow.

Chris Matthews is the liberal equivilant of Rush Limbaugh. I put as much stock in anything he say as the left does in anything Limbaugh says.

Weirdly I mind Matthews much less than Rush, even though I side with the right much more often than the left. Matthews at least makes a half-hearted attempt to see the other side's viewpoint as opposed to Rush or Olbermann.

Mistake on Paul's part if he thinks he can avoid it. Better move would be to get on as many shows as he can as soon as he can and address it head on.

He must be counting on the american voters 6 second attention span. He might be right on that.

Paul can not afford to do that until he does some serious self evaluation and formulates position statements and talking points that he can use on the talk show circuit. The fact is that his Libertarian philosophy is going to continue to lead him into traps like the one on the Civil Rights issue. Despite all the spin and back pedaling, the fact is right now Paul still believes if a private business wants to discriminate, the government should not intrude. Paul does not want the government to intrude on business at all if possible. That is why he thinks the comment by the Obama administration's rep about "boot heel on BP's neck" is out of line. While much of Paul's small government philosophy appeals to all of us, he seems to be over the line for many of us in how small and non-intrusive government needs to be. It is a good, healthy debate and Paul is on the right side of the issue. But is he too far to the right side of the issue to win in the fall? Paull needs to get his house in order and stop looking like an unsure and Palin like spin doctor before he hits the talk show circuit. He has a couple months to get that done before the real election heats up.

Paul can not afford to do that until he does some serious self evaluation and formulates position statements and talking points that he can use on the talk show circuit. The fact is that his Libertarian philosophy is going to continue to lead him into traps like the one on the Civil Rights issue. Despite all the spin and back pedaling, the fact is right now Paul still believes if a private business wants to discriminate, the government should not intrude. Paul does not want the government to intrude on business at all if possible. That is why he thinks the comment by the Obama administration's rep about "boot heel on BP's neck" is out of line. While much of Paul's small government philosophy appeals to all of us, he seems to be over the line for many of us in how small and non-intrusive government needs to be. It is a good, healthy debate and Paul is on the right side of the issue. But is he too far to the right side of the issue to win in the fall? Paull needs to get his house in order and stop looking like an unsure and Palin like spin doctor before he hits the talk show circuit. He has a couple months to get that done before the real election heats up.

I guess he could go the Conway route and say nothing about what he stands for until the fall, if then. As I said, the attention span of the voters probably doesn't even kick in until October.

My guess is this will all blow over and have very little impact on the voters. I don't have a problem with what he truly said. He's against racism but also against govt interference. While we can disagree on the interference issue I have no doubt he's 100% authentic in his attitude towards race. Non-issue for me.

I agree with your assessment. I'm with Paul in keeping the government smaller and out of private lives and businesses as much as possible. But, there is a balance to find there. I certainly can't dispute the Civil Rights Act. There are times when the government needs to do something and that was one example.

I guess he could go the Conway route and say nothing about what he stands for until the fall, if then. As I said, the attention span of the voters probably doesn't even kick in until October.

But won't the liberal media keep this going?