Paul withdraws from show appearance

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Try to discount it all you want. Jump into Rand's World with both feet but the FACT is Paul believes a private business owner has the right to discriminate if he wants to. No one made that up except Rand Paul.

And he's absolutely right. You and other's on the left side are trying to spin his comments to sound as if he thinks discrimination is okay, when that couldn't be further from the truth. If I own a private business, I should be able to operate that business in any manner I see fit. Would I or Dr. Paul discriminate against a certain group of people? Absolutely not. However, if Joe Schmo over there wants to run a restaurant and only serve minorities, that's his right. Will he loss business and get negative pub? You bet, but it's his right to make that decision.

And he's absolutely right. You and other's on the left side are trying to spin his comments to sound as if he thinks discrimination is okay, when that couldn't be further from the truth. If I own a private business, I should be able to operate that business in any manner I see fit. Would I or Dr. Paul discriminate against a certain group of people? Absolutely not. However, if Joe Schmo over there wants to run a restaurant and only serve minorities, that's his right. Will he loss business and get negative pub? You bet, but it's his right to make that decision.

Can that business owner get together with all the other restaurant owners within 20 miles and agree that they will all charge $20 for a hamburger?

First of all, please do not align me with the left. Second, thank you for agreeing with me that this is what Paul believes and that no one made this up except Paul. I was pointing this very fact out in my response to butters

First of all, please do not align me with the left. Second, thank you for agreeing with me that this is what Paul believes and that no one made this up except Paul. I was pointing this very fact out in my response to butters

Who in their right mind wouldn't believe that people can run their private business the way they want? As long as it's in compliance with the law, why shouldn't they be allowed to?

:rolleyes:

Restaurants are allowed to refuse service to anyone they choose, are they not?

If open to the public, no. They cannot discriminate on race, national origin, religion, etc. That's Title II of the Civil Rights Act that we're talking about.

If open to the public, no. They cannot discriminate on race, national origin, religion, etc. That's Title II of the Civil Rights Act that we're talking about.

Which basically means they are allowed to refuse service to anyone they choose. Thanks, I knew I was right.

Well, it doesn't basically mean that but sounds like you don't care anyway.

Yes it does. If they wanted to, a restaurant manager could very easily refuse service to a certain group of people and do so in a way that wouldn't be against any laws. How exactly could you prove the reason a person is refused service? You can't.

Chris Matthews is a buffoon obsessed with Limbaugh. Why would you put any stock in his "abilities'?

He does have a crazy little laugh that's kinda annoying but seems to be pretty good at political analysis. While he does seem to side with the liberal viewpoint a lot, he seems to be a fairly straight shooter. He has people of different viewpoints on his show and appears to respect both the moderate left and right views. He does seem to get a kick out of ripping apart the nutty tea-baggers, Rush, Palin, the birthers, and Dick Cheney, though. I see him as the left-leaning equivalent of Joe Scarborough. Joe leans right but has good political insights and is quite fair to his guests on the left and right.

Which basically means they are allowed to refuse service to anyone they choose. Thanks, I knew I was right.

No, you are absolutely wrong. If you refuse service based on race or a number of other criteria you are in violation of the Civil Rights Act of 1964. There is good news in all of this. It is somewhat heartening that some of the younger members on this board don't see allowing a business to discriminate as a problem for the simple reason that they don't believe that the vast majority of businesses would do so. Those of us of a certain age not only believe they would do so, we have witnessed them doing it in our lifetimes. When I was young, we used to drive from Louisville to Nelson County about once a month. I still remember the signs at the gas stations along Bardstown Road that labeled one side "white" and the other side "colored". When I was in high school, a teacher was shown on the front page of the CJ being arrested and drug out of city hall at an open housing demonstration. It is good that to younger people, and I'll include Rand Paul in that group, those days seem like ancient history. For me, those days are memories and I am not willing to go back. Liberal action from both Democrats and Republicans gave us the fix for those un American and immoral actions. I am not willing to risk going back to those days for the sake of Rand Paul's idea of personal freedom. Make no mistake. Rand Paul does have a philosophical objection to the Civil Rights Act, the Americans with Disabilities Act, Social Security, Medicare, zoning and any number of other things that are taken for granted in the modern world. He has three choices between now and election day. He can expose himself to questions and lie in his answers, he can avoid questions from anyone except the prescreened or he can expose himself to questions, give truthful answers and show himself to be the unelectable nutjob that he is.

Yes it does. If they wanted to, a restaurant manager could very easily refuse service to a certain group of people and do so in a way that wouldn't be against any laws. How exactly could you prove the reason a person is refused service? You can't.

Despite the fact that it's illegal, you're saying that if you don't get caught you can still discriminate? How does that basically mean that a restaurant is "allowed" to discriminate as you asked? You're not allowed to rob a bank, but if you don't get caught then you won't suffer any punishment. How would a restaurant manager go about refusing to serve, for example, all Catholics and not run afoul of the Civil Rights Act?

There is no spin. He thinks that business owners have the right to discriminate. He doesn't think that they should, based on race, but he thinks that they should have the right to do so. I agree with Clyde, in that I don't see any reason to think that he is racist (or sexist or against those with disabilities), but I disagree with the idea that businesses should be able to discriminate based on the aforementioned characteristics.