A Proud YES Vote for Public Schools

Sports Authority

It wasn't that long ago when "consolidation" was the gremlin. All the little schools in a county would merge into a single big "consolodated" school that enhanced their ability to compete with the city schools. I'm sure some people thought that was unfair at the time, but we still competed with them.

If Prop 20 is ultimately ratified, then the only fair way to “level the playing field” is for the Kentucky State Legislature to simultaneously pass tax reform permitting parents of kids in private schools to forego paying the taxes they currently pay that fund the public schools that won’t let their kids participate in Kentucky high school post-season sporting events.

There is nothing “fair” or “equitable” about any of this as it stands. There is also the very real truth that we "reap what we sow."

In order to survive, private schools will be pushed to greater levels of excellence. For those committed to excellence, this is probably the best thing in the long run.

For those devoted to watering things down in the name of fairness, you should be very happy, you have achieved a tremendous victory for the cause of mediocrity.

Congratulations all around. :thumb:

:ylsuper: :ylsuper: :ylsuper: :ylsuper: :ylsuper:

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me guess--When the Louisville "Publics" kick your school's behinds in the coming years; you'll be looking for separate divisions for the 'Ville and the rest of the state?? Then along will come ______County, and they'll have some perceived advantage, and then what??

I am a baseball fan and I know for a fact that we have played the Louisville "Publics" best and beat them 9 out of 10 times! HCHS owns PRP in head to head competition. So chew on that a while.

I am going to tell you guys that the public schools have tons of support from the people in their respective counties, including the children. If they bend on this , then when their respective terms are up they will be replaced with someone who wont bend. That has been the general consensus of all the people that I have talked to in my area( that covers about 5-6 counties in Southern Kentucky). Again I am not saying I support what has happened, just saying that this is what the privates are going to face. The same thing came up last year so to speak and was defeated. The public schools worked harder this year and got their votes. Why do you think that they worked harder? Because of the AD's and school officials wanted that? NO. The people are putting the pressure on them to do something about the problem and that is the facts regardless of who agrees or disagrees with me.

I will say again, I do not know exactly where I stand on this. BUT I have talked with many people over the last 5 years about sports in general, and I want to say that the majority of the people that I have talked to are in favor of this proposal, which showed in the vote. This has much more approval statewide than I think some of you realize.

Private schools make up 16% of the vote and they barely got 85% which tells me all do not want it.

I am a baseball fan and I know for a fact that we have played the Louisville "Publics" best and beat them 9 out of 10 times! HCHS owns PRP in head to head competition. So chew on that a while.

You obviously don't get it. You just want your school to win and that is not what this is about. If you win a championship that doesn't include the best teams what have you done? Not much. If you publics want to be the Div. III of high school sports while the private schools compete at the Div. I level, so be it. How long will it be before these "field levelers" decide to handicap games to make things fairer. You guys will end up with leagues that resemble kiddie T-ball leagues.

FYI, I would question your .900 winning percentage over PRP or anyone for that matter.

Because 48 private schools voted NO on the proposal.

It is much to the benefit of the collective 48 to remain members of the KHSAA and continue to play for district, regional, and state championships against public schools and private schools.

Lawsuits would be the last resort and would dissolve the KHSAA for all schools.

This will not get past the boards and legislators because they do not want to see the KHSAA dissolved.

I think by not passing any of the other proposals that "would level the playing field" and passing Proposal 20 was the absolute worst move the public schools could have made.

First, I am surprised it passed. I did not think it was going to. WOW! As I had mentioned before, I felt that if the other proposals were defeated, Prop 20 would have a good chance to pass but I still thought it would fall a few votes short. Wow!

As far as the state assembly, I am not sure they will not pass it. As someone posted, I believe there will be more support from the general public than most on here believe. If they let their reps know they support this, the politicians will sway to whichever wind is blowing the hardest.

On the comments on recruiting that another poster made, if private schools retain KHSAA membership all the other rules on recruiting and transfers, etc, I assume, will remain in effect.

For those who think that moving the private schools to another division, so that smooth roads to a title are in front of them now, think about who will fill the void left by private schools. Thanks to this proposal Highlands biggest, toughest competition for a football title, LexCath and CovCath, are now moot points. Now Male must no longer worry about district or regional opponents from Trinity or X. In fact, in football, Trinity and St. X, as the only 4A privates, will meet for the state title every year. How ridiculous is that? And more will pay to watch that than the public title games combined.

This proposition was so narrowly focused on a few schools that passing it will have many negative consequences. First and foremost, the private schools no longer can compete for a true state title since there are so few private schools. You must figure in your plans that some are girls only and some boys only, and not all compete in all sports. They are also spread across 4 classes which remain intact after the split. The number of championships in each sport will now double as the number of classes in public and private divisions remains the same.

This proposition will do more harm than good if it passes all the way through the process. Here's hoping it does not.

FYI, I would question your .900 winning percentage over PRP or anyone for that matter.

You can question it all you want, but I know that they have played 10 times during the regular season and play-offs and the only time PRP won they rallied form a 5-3 deficit with 2 outs in the 7th innning to win in 12 or 13 innings. And who was it, Gerry Faust that was a super high school coach in Cincinnati football as long as he was the only one recruiting and then he took the job at Notre Dame where all the teams he competed against could recruit and he failed miserably. The public school championships will not be tarnished and for your information we have won 3 with the private schools included.

I see Ballard and Male in the finals more in the past 10 years than PRP? :confused:

Its like a School of Dreams, "If You Build It They Will Come". The kids going to a Private School is because they want Tradition, Better Education etc. and they are not finding it in their local Public High Schools (on a whole). IF YOU BUILD IT THEY WILL COME!!

Then nothing will ever be solved.

Every year new proposals will be introduced. They will be defeated or if passed will be defeated along the line somewhere.

The best the public schools can hope for out of this situation ( and what I think will happen) is that they now can negotiate some sort of compromise on territory limits.

The compromise will be some sort of set mile radius with exceptions made for feeder schools students that exceed the set mile radius.

That will prevent "the out of county public school students" from attending St. X, Trinity, LexCath, LCA, and the Louisville girls schools and thats what this is all about.

People will still want to send their kids to those schools so they will just move.

This all comes down to competition and leveling the playing field? I have to wonder who is supporting this? Especially from the NKY? No private school has dominated in any sport up here, maybe other than CovCath in baseball and possibly a little bit in basketball. I think it is all the smaller schools getting together and saying to themselves 1.) we get rid of a lot of cometition 2.) our road to winning regional championships becomes a lot easier. I just think in this day in age it is not something to be teaching our younger teenagers in the state. If this passes, basiclly this teaches them "that if I'm not good enough at one sport I shouldn't try to get better, I should just move to a more level playing field." Why don't we just pull all the competition and throw it all away so that we can give every single Kentucky school a state championship so nobody's feelings are hurt.