A Proud YES Vote for Public Schools

Sports Authority

I understand its an advantage. Its an advantage that comes with living in the city. How is it any different than the advantage that a school in a rich neighborhood has over one from a poor or rural area. How about an enrollment advantage? Do you propose that those "rich" schools need to have money taken from them to "level the playing field?" How about everybody in 4A has to have exactly 800 boys in the school. Any more or less would mean an unfair advantage and we cant have that.

Anytime a group of excellent athletes can congregate at one school because that particuliar school has tradition in their chosen sport.....well, whatever that school's sport specialty is (baseball, basketball, soccer, etc), then it places that school in an almost small college atmosphere. That's VERY difficult for an average county school to compete against. Some of these schools are very similar to AAU All Star teams. Few schools can compete with that.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Go to your school board, demand they have open enrollment. Don't punish those who allow it, just do the same.

If your HS near your home isn't doing the job then send your kid(s) to an open enrollment school, and if so they should have the same right to play sports!

Open enrollment....in my county :lol: .

We only have one high school, and the enrollment is 225 students.

“The masses go through each day hoping for success, victory or the fulfillment of their dreams, but are paralyzed by their laziness, insecurities, or fear of stepping away from the crowd. The courageous wake up each day looking forward to whatever obstacle is awaiting them, and relishing every hardship that they must overcome to realize their dreams.”

That doesn't happen when you water things down. It's not being courageous when you take away obstacles so you don't have to endure hardships.

Open enrollment....in my county :lol: .

We only have one high school, and the enrollment is 225 students.

That's just what I was about to say. Some of the folks in northern Kentucky and Louisville have no idea what most of the state is like.

Instead of open enrollment, how about working to make the school where you live the best it can be.

I think part of the idea of open enrollment in some places is getting the haves in one place and the have nots (the ones who can't afford to leave) in another. The concept of being able to "get away" or "escape" a bad school doesn't address the problem. Why not just close the failing school and not make anyone go there?

That's just what I was about to say. Some of the folks in northern Kentucky and Louisville have no idea what most of the state is like.

?

There lies the problem. Louisville has one set of rules, NKY has another, and the rest of the state has another. But no one adresses that they just try to separate public and private schools and stick their heads in the sand.

There lies the problem. Louisville has one set of rules, NKY has another, and the rest of the state has another. But no one adresses that they just try to separate public and private schools and stick their heads in the sand.

:ylsuper: :ylsuper: :ylsuper:

Yeah they USED to be the most dominant. They havent been to the finals in a long while. You act like that little county school can somehow beat "the best" any public school from louisville has to offer. Your own facts point that out. 9 out of the last 12 years a louisville public has been in the final four. I think Ill take a head to head loss and win a state championship any day. ;)

That county school had three state championships during that time. :D

If any mountain region (I'll use this area because it's where I'm from) could gather up all the best athletes in their respective regions, and "magnet" or "traditional" them into one, two, or even three schools, well they'd be a state challenger in most years too. Maybe not win a title, but be right there in the mix.

The 14th region has only 6,667 high school students, an average of 417 in 16 schools. But allow open enrollment across county lines in the region, and a couple of top caliber state teams could emerge in many sports, in most years.

It would be even better in the 13th---they have 10,573 HS students.

But both of these region's enrollment numbers pale in comparsion to what Jefferson County can generate. That's a county with a BIG population....enough to have two regions. If a kid can magnet/traditional to any school in the county, well, WOW!!!....think of the athletic possibilities. And it's usually about four or five of the same public schools in that county that always seem to be the 'best' in specific sports.

It's little wonder.

If any mountain region (I'll use this area because it's where I'm from) could gather up all the best athletes in their respective regions, and "magnet" or "traditional" them into one, two, or even three schools, well they'd be a state challenger in most years too. Maybe not win a title, but be right there in the mix.

The 14th region has only 6,667 high school students, an average of 417 in 16 schools. But allow open enrollment across county lines in the region, and a couple of top caliber state teams could emerge in many sports, in most years.

But both of these region's enrollment numbers pale in comparsion to what Jefferson County can generate. That's a county with a BIG population....enough to have two regions. If a kid can magnet/traditional to any school in the county, well, WOW!!!....think of the athletic possibilities. And it's usually about four or five of the same public schools in that county that always seem to be the 'best' in specific sports.

It's little wonder.

So petition to have open enrollment in the area. :confused:

It's little wonder.

So now all of Louisville should be booted...

So now all of Louisville should be booted...

No.

But my goodness, GAMETIME, can't you see that the Jefferson County public schools have an athletic advantage because of this open enrollment policy? :confused: It's not simply open enrollment...it's an open invitation for corrupt recruitment of middle school athletes.

No.

But my goodness, GAMETIME, can't you see that the Jefferson County public schools have an athletic advantage because of this open enrollment policy? :confused: It's not simply open enrollment...it's an open invitation for corrupt recruitment of middle school athletes.

It's a policy allowed by the KHSAA, and as far as REAL academics go, it seems to be in the best intrest of everyone in the County. As a result, they need to be removed from athletic competition from those outside of a big County. Just flippin say it...

It's a policy allowed by the KHSAA, and as far as REAL academics go, it seems to be of the best intrest of everyone in the County. As a result, they need to be removed from athletic competition from those outside of a big County. Just flippin say it...

Then it should be addressed by the KHSAA. It should not be legal. It's unfair to the rest of the state that isn't fortunate enough to have a million people in their county.

You're feeling sorry for the wrong population.

Then it should be addressed by the KHSAA. It should not be legal. It's unfair to the rest of the state that isn't fortunate enough to have a million people in their county.

You're feeling sorry for the wrong population.

I don't feel sorry for ANYONE. That's on you...