A Proud YES Vote for Public Schools

Sports Authority

I am proud to say that I am a public school graduate and just as proud that they stood up for what is right and voted in favor of Proposal 20. As a life long supporter of my schools athletic teams I think it only fair that the playing field be equal for all schools who compete for State Championships. Everyone has known for many years about the unlimited player resources enjoyed by Trinity and St. X in football and nothing much was really said. However, once that little old private school in Lexington at 2250 Clays Mill Road went from mediocre at best in athletics to state contenders in all sports, they are the ones that Proposal 20 should have been named after. For all you haters who have poured the big bucks into the school at 2250 Clays Mill Road and other private schools throughout the state, I personally want to say good bye and don't let the door hit you on the backside. My only wish is that it would have happened year's ago. Everyone knows that playing with unlimited boundaries does not constitute an even playing field. And just as your "Little Brother" LCA was following in your footsteps it was surely going to happen. When you try to point the blame finger at anyone, it should quickly turn right back on you for you are the reason for Proposal 20. Call it what you want, but I think it is a proud and glorius day for the KHSAA. :dancingpa

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will say again, I do not know exactly where I stand on this. BUT I have talked with many people over the last 5 years about sports in general, and I want to say that the majority of the people that I have talked to are in favor of this proposal, which showed in the vote. This has much more approval statewide than I think some of you realize.

So now they're NOT going to have unlimited resources? Now they CAN recruit, and give out scholarships (if they create thier own association)? Now they can play the best of the best year in and year out and leave the rest of us in the cold, and laugh at what's already referred to as the Shampion?

Plus, there's always going to be someone on top. They're the best for many reasons, and other programs have been right up there. Heck, Male is still the number 1 football program in my book... you'd have to give X and Trinity a few more decades to catch up, IMO.

And I just LIKE them, despite the bitter football rivalries. It's a community thing.

I will say again, I do not know exactly where I stand on this. BUT I have talked with many people over the last 5 years about sports in general, and I want to say that the majority of the people that I have talked to are in favor of this proposal, which showed in the vote. This has much more approval statewide than I think some of you realize.

I think that is obvious from the vote. Now what are all those people going to do when it never comes about? Pout? Come up with more proposals? Refuse to play certain schools? Do nothing? File countersuits?

Why would it not come about? I mean I know that the lawsuits are gonna fly, but why would the privates even want to play with the publics now? Could you tell me why they would want to?

Because 48 private schools voted NO on the proposal.

It is much to the benefit of the collective 48 to remain members of the KHSAA and continue to play for district, regional, and state championships against public schools and private schools.

Lawsuits would be the last resort and would dissolve the KHSAA for all schools.

This will not get past the boards and legislators because they do not want to see the KHSAA dissolved.

I think by not passing any of the other proposals that "would level the playing field" and passing Proposal 20 was the absolute worst move the public schools could have made.

When people think that the playing field is not level and the controlling body chooses to ignore the problems, then they will vote for something even if its not the exact right thing to do. Happens in politics everyday. Thats what happened today. What all those public schools were saying is that we dont want you with the current rules we are forced to play with.

What do I think needs to be done? I think the KHSAA needs to enforce the current rules in place and make a few examples, stick by it. Then you would see a different picture. Is this gonna happen? No. Thats why we are here today talking about this very topic.

When people think that the playing field is not level and the controlling body chooses to ignore the problems, then they will vote for something even if its not the exact right thing to do. Happens in politics everyday. Thats what happened today. What all those public schools were saying is that we dont want you with the current rules we are forced to play with.

What do I think needs to be done? I think the KHSAA needs to enforce the current rules in place and make a few examples, stick by it. Then you would see a different picture. Is this gonna happen? No. Thats why we are here today talking about this very topic.

Then nothing will ever be solved.

Every year new proposals will be introduced. They will be defeated or if passed will be defeated along the line somewhere.

The best the public schools can hope for out of this situation ( and what I think will happen) is that they now can negotiate some sort of compromise on territory limits.

The compromise will be some sort of set mile radius with exceptions made for feeder schools students that exceed the set mile radius.

That will prevent "the out of county public school students" from attending St. X, Trinity, LexCath, LCA, and the Louisville girls schools and thats what this is all about.

I agree, I really think that most Public schools do not want this but are tired of the rules not being enforced. I don't see this proposal passing all the way through but it should be a wake up call to the KHSAA that they need to enforce their rules and better serve its member schools.

I am proud to say that I am a public school graduate and just as proud that they stood up for what is right and voted in favor of Proposal 20. As a life long supporter of my schools athletic teams I think it only fair that the playing field be equal for all schools who compete for State Championships. Everyone has known for many years about the unlimited player resources enjoyed by Trinity and St. X in football and nothing much was really said. However, once that little old private school in Lexington at 2250 Clays Mill Road went from mediocre at best in athletics to state contenders in all sports, they are the ones that Proposal 20 should have been named after. For all you haters who have poured the big bucks into the school at 2250 Clays Mill Road and other private schools throughout the state, I personally want to say good bye and don't let the door hit you on the backside. My only wish is that it would have happened year's ago. Everyone knows that playing with unlimited boundaries does not constitute an even playing field. And just as your "Little Brother" LCA was following in your footsteps it was surely going to happen. When you try to point the blame finger at anyone, it should quickly turn right back on you for you are the reason for Proposal 20. Call it what you want, but I think it is a proud and glorius day for the KHSAA. :dancingpa

Let me guess--When the Louisville "Publics" kick your school's behinds in the coming years; you'll be looking for separate divisions for the 'Ville and the rest of the state?? Then along will come ______County, and they'll have some perceived advantage, and then what??

It wasn't that long ago when "consolidation" was the gremlin. All the little schools in a county would merge into a single big "consolodated" school that enhanced their ability to compete with the city schools. I'm sure some people thought that was unfair at the time, but we still competed with them.

If Prop 20 is ultimately ratified, then the only fair way to “level the playing field” is for the Kentucky State Legislature to simultaneously pass tax reform permitting parents of kids in private schools to forego paying the taxes they currently pay that fund the public schools that won’t let their kids participate in Kentucky high school post-season sporting events.

There is nothing “fair” or “equitable” about any of this as it stands. There is also the very real truth that we "reap what we sow."

In order to survive, private schools will be pushed to greater levels of excellence. For those committed to excellence, this is probably the best thing in the long run.

For those devoted to watering things down in the name of fairness, you should be very happy, you have achieved a tremendous victory for the cause of mediocrity.

Congratulations all around. :thumb:

It wasn't that long ago when "consolidation" was the gremlin. All the little schools in a county would merge into a single big "consolodated" school that enhanced their ability to compete with the city schools. I'm sure some people thought that was unfair at the time, but we still competed with them.

If Prop 20 is ultimately ratified, then the only fair way to “level the playing field” is for the Kentucky State Legislature to simultaneously pass tax reform permitting parents of kids in private schools to forego paying the taxes they currently pay that fund the public schools that won’t let their kids participate in Kentucky high school post-season sporting events.

There is nothing “fair” or “equitable” about any of this as it stands. There is also the very real truth that we "reap what we sow."

In order to survive, private schools will be pushed to greater levels of excellence. For those committed to excellence, this is probably the best thing in the long run.

For those devoted to watering things down in the name of fairness, you should be very happy, you have achieved a tremendous victory for the cause of mediocrity.

Congratulations all around. :thumb:

Amen!! Well said, I'm going to bed!!