Who would you vote for Mr. Basketball?

Don't forget Newsome, Varney, Ramey, and Tackett. But this story goes both ways... without Justice none of the other guys have a ring either. It was obvious that Ballard's gameplan was to take the ball out of Justice's hands, and make the other guys try to beat them... Justice is smart enough to understand that and had confidence in his teammates to pick up their games offensively. That is part of what makes Elisha such a good player. He could have tried to force offense to get points, but his understanding of the game is better than that. And that is evidenced by the fact that SV was able to come away with a state title... :thumb:

I couldn't agree with you more.

Congrats once again to Shelby Valley. I enjoy seeing teams do all the right things and still win.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I had to make a list for this award it would look like this:

1. Justice - Valley

2. Sewell - Trinity

3. Johnson - Holmes

4. Polson - W. Jess.

5. Everyone Else

I would definitly put Polson in front of Johnson and Sewell. I'd also put Chad Jackson ahead of Johnson. He had a very good season and looked really good in the Sweet 16.

Jarrod Polson always delivered. Always....regardless of the game plan. To this day the game plan against West Jessamine was pray his teammates didn't deliver because Polson always did. The Valley players, not just Justice, but the whole team is responsible for that state title. As great as Polson is, he can't beat Valley or Ballard by himself. Justice couldn't do it by himself either. Without Newsome and Hatfield he has no ring.

Again, I am not saying Justice isn't deserving. He is definitely more deserving than Sewell, imo, I am just making a case for Polson(the only player all week who got a standing ovation from the entire crowd and not just his home fans when he came out of his last game).

Likewise, I'm not arguing that Polson isn't deserving. He made a fan of me the last two years at Rupp. I was just asking what Polson had accomplished to compare with a Sweet 16 trophy, because you said their accomplishments were a wash.

Don't forget Newsome, Varney, Ramey, and Tackett. But this story goes both ways... without Justice none of the other guys have a ring either. It was obvious that Ballard's gameplan was to take the ball out of Justice's hands, and make the other guys try to beat them... Justice is smart enough to understand that and had confidence in his teammates to pick up their games offensively. That is part of what makes Elisha such a good player. He could have tried to force offense to get points, but his understanding of the game is better than that. And that is evidenced by the fact that SV was able to come away with a state title... :thumb:

I was impressed by that. Considering how good he was and how well he'd played prior to Saturday night, I'd imagine it would be hard to play the way he did and put the trust in your teammates. There were times that he could have easily been frustrated and started trying to do too much by himself, IMO. I couldn't help but wonder if that level of trust was a result of 6 years of playing with these guys.

The bottom line is Shelby Valley showed up ready to play last week and they brought their A game to Lexington. They could have made a deeper run last year, but Justice and Hatfield were ice cold in the loss to Elliott County...they combined to shoot 12-44 in that game. I'm glad those guys bounced back with a great run this season.

I would definitly put Polson in front of Johnson and Sewell. I'd also put Chad Jackson ahead of Johnson. He had a very good season and looked really good in the Sweet 16.

I love Jacksons game but what's up with the complaining about every call in a couple of the games.:confused:

Likewise, I'm not arguing that Polson isn't deserving. He made a fan of me the last two years at Rupp. I was just asking what Polson had accomplished to compare with a Sweet 16 trophy, because you said their accomplishments were a wash.

I say they are a wash because if Polson and Justice switched teams then things would be the same for both teams. Shelby Valley would have the same accomplishments with Polson as their pg(3 state titles) and West Jessamine still would have lost to Shelby Valley on Friday with Justice as their pg, IMO.

I love Jacksons game but what's up with the complaining about every call in a couple of the games.:confused:

It may have something to do with the referee from the 16th region refereeing 2 games in a row. Someone in another thread said that he called almost every foul against Euton and Jackson in the 2 games.

I say they are a wash because if Polson and Justice switched teams then things would be the same for both teams. Shelby Valley would have the same accomplishments with Polson as their pg(3 state titles) and West Jessamine still would have lost to Shelby Valley on Friday with Justice as their pg, IMO.

But we do not live in that world. The bottom line is that team performance effects the individual awards. May not be fair, but it is what it is. If I am going to build a team and I have to pick between the 2 I would take Justice everyday of the week and twice on Sunday.

It may have something to do with the referee from the 16th region refereeing 2 games in a row. Someone in another thread said that he called almost every foul against Euton and Jackson in the 2 games.

The 16th region offical was not a he, so the person you spoke to may have been a bit confused.

Agree! Let me post something I posted elsewhere:

I think Justice will win Mr Bball but let me compare seasons!

Same averages scoring, Sewell >reb, Justice >asssist, steal

Sewell -Justice

Ballard 1-2 1-0 State Both scored about 20/game against

Male 2-1

Jtown 1-0 -1-0

Seneca 3-0

Lex Cath 1-0

Chris Co -- 0-1

Clark Co 1-0

Scott Co 1-0

Eastern 1-0

St X 1-0

Mason Co --1-0 state

Bowling Gr 1-0

Shelby Co 0-1

Top 20 THS 13-4 SV 3-1

Tourney KOB,RBC,LIT All A, State

Tourney strength IMO

1 LIT

2 KOB

3 RBC

4 State

5 All A

This doesn't mean that Justice couldn't have performed just as well but he didn't get the chance; so although I think Justice certainly is deserving, Sewell did as much against a lot better competition this season and I believe that if Trinity had the same road that SV had, they would have played Ballard last night and it's obvious from the fact they beat them once, they would have had a shot to win.,

In conclusion, Justice had a great year and is deserving for his career but his schedule and region and an fortuitous cakewalk to the finals of state certainly helped!

If you look at strength of schedule as the determing factor then no player from the Mountains or Western Kentucky would ever win POY because those schools cannot play as many ranked opponents as a school like Trinity. It is geograpically and financially prohibited because so many of the schools ranked are in Louisville and Lexington. I don't think Shelby Valley refused to host a bunch of schools from Louisville....there probably weren't any intersted in making an 8 hr. round trip to Pike County to play a game. Nor was Shelby Valley interested in making that trek on a regular basis. They would essentially have to travel to Louisville and Lexignton every weekend in order to play as many ranked opponents as Trinity did. You can't use strength of schedule as an argument against Justice...he didn't make the schedule. I could see your argument if you were talking about a kid who put up big numbers at a small school and that school didn't advance out of region. But, you're talking about a kid who led his team to the title.

Sewell had a great year, but in the end he lost twice to a school (Ballard) that was beaten by Shelby Valley, led by Justice. Both are deserving, but Justice has earned it by carrying his team to the title.

The 16th region offical was not a he, so the person you spoke to may have been a bit confused.

You are very mistaken. And since I've known him since we were boys, I hope he reads this so I can really give him the business.

You are obviously referring to Marla, and she ain't a he. However, had you ever seen her play, you might reconsider.:thumb:

If you look at strength of schedule as the determing factor then no player from the Mountains or Western Kentucky would ever win POY because those schools cannot play as many ranked opponents as a school like Trinity. It is geograpically and financially prohibited because so many of the schools ranked are in Louisville and Lexington. I don't think Shelby Valley refused to host a bunch of schools from Louisville....there probably weren't any intersted in making an 8 hr. round trip to Pike County to play a game. Nor was Shelby Valley interested in making that trek on a regular basis. They would essentially have to travel to Louisville and Lexignton every weekend in order to play as many ranked opponents as Trinity did. You can't use strength of schedule as an argument against Justice...he didn't make the schedule. I could see your argument if you were talking about a kid who put up big numbers at a small school and that school didn't advance out of region. But, you're talking about a kid who led his team to the title.

Sewell had a great year, but in the end he lost twice to a school (Ballard) that was beaten by Shelby Valley, led by Justice. Both are deserving, but Justice has earned it by carrying his team to the title.

Can't disagree. I think Justice will probably win and is deserving, I just think it is NOT correct to say that he had a better year or, even more, is a better player because I don't think that's true(although this could really never be proven either way) for the reasons I stated earlier.

But we do not live in that world. The bottom line is that team performance effects the individual awards. May not be fair, but it is what it is. If I am going to build a team and I have to pick between the 2 I would take Justice everyday of the week and twice on Sunday.

Relax. I was asked a question and I answered it. You'd take Justice, I'd take Polson. Based on what I have seen we are two even teams after our first picks.