Newport 60 Holmes 34

First off, let me congratulate the Newport Wildcats on the W. They absolutely took it to the Dogs, no matter how you try to spin it.

Bottom line, Holmes played their worst game in 3 years at the wrong time and they did it against a VERY GOOD Newport team, which led to a blowout. As someone said earlier....the dynasty is finally over.

Holmes never seemed to get in any rhythm. Shots were flat. Didn't box out. Weren't very physical at either end of the floor. But most importantly, got frustrated when things didn't go their way.

I will say this....that officiating was absolutely horrible both ways. A lot of no calls and kids were getting hammered down low. Despite this, Newport kept their composure and just kept playing ball. That was the difference.

Demarko Foster absolutely took it to Ricardo last night. Definetly not the outcome I pictured when I thought of how this seniors' season would end.

For those of you calling the Holmes TEAM classless for the antics of 1 or 2 players, let's remember these are still KIDS and that while I don't agree with the antics of those 1 or 2 players, emotions run high in 16 and 17 yr old boys. Don't let the post game activities be the final impression that you get of this team because all year everyone has talked about what a respectable group this TEAM was. Just because one or two players act out of line, doesn't mean the "coach and program" lacks class like some of you are saying.

After the game, I saw Holmes players congratulating Newport and especially saw Ricardo Johnson telling the Newport players "good luck at Rupp, win state." There was only one player who didn't shake the hands of the Newport kids and he was at the END OF THE LINE.

You want the stat of the game?

Holmes finished the game 9 for 45 (20%) from the field. I don't care who you are, you shoot that bad from the field and you're going to get blown out of the gym...especially against a team like Newport.

Lastly, it was nice to talk to and see all of the following BGP members at the BOKC:

PaNDA, Theoldguy, Covcathiradio, lovethegame33, buttels, statmanhensley, and qryche11.

Thats why Rico is far and away the best player on the team imo. While Im sure the loss was as tough on him as it was any other Holmes player he took it like a man and was very classy in defeat. Hard for anybody not to like that kid. Wish a couple of his teammates would have followed his lead.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I listened to the game on the radio with my wife and I am extremely impressed with Newport's performance yesterday. When NHS was up 30-13 at the half, I told my wife that the Wildcats could not afford to let Holmes back into the game with a huge run. We were at the semifinals the night before and Holmes went up 17-3, Boone trimmed it to 20-16 and then the Rebels let Holmes build a big lead again. The key to beating teams that are that athletic and talented is not letting big runs beat you. Newport did not let their foot off the gas pedal and kept pouring it on and with no huge runs, Holmes went into panic mode. Congratulations to the Wildcats, good luck at state!!

On another note, without looking at Newport's schedule can someone tell me what their fifth loss was?

2 losses to Holmes

25 point loss to NCC in the District Title game (looks like I picked the wrong Newport team to win the region, by the way)

loss in the All "A" state

5th loss anyone - ?

I listened to the game on the radio with my wife and I am extremely impressed with Newport's performance yesterday. When NHS was up 30-13 at the half, I told my wife that the Wildcats could not afford to let Holmes back into the game with a huge run. We were at the semifinals the night before and Holmes went up 17-3, Boone trimmed it to 20-16 and then the Rebels let Holmes build a big lead again. The key to beating teams that are that athletic and talented is not letting big runs beat you. Newport did not let their foot off the gas pedal and kept pouring it on and with no huge runs, Holmes went into panic mode. Congratulations to the Wildcats, good luck at state!!

On another note, without looking at Newport's schedule can someone tell me what their fifth loss was?

2 losses to Holmes

25 point loss to NCC in the District Title game (looks like I picked the wrong Newport team to win the region, by the way)

5th loss anyone - ?[/QUOTE]

Their fifth loss was to NCC in the regular season.

2 losses to Holmes

5th loss anyone - ?

They lost twice to NCC. Lost by around 8 in the regular season scheduled game then in the district final.

2 losses to Holmes

5th loss anyone - ?

Just found it...should have known it was NewCath...8 point loss at home.

Just saw the score of this game and I must say while I am not surprised at the loss by Holmes I am shocked by the margin. Congrats to Newport and I wish them good luck at state. It won't be easy for a team with a short bench to handle probably Christian Co and then Scott Co to follow but funny things happen on the big stage.

Paint it how ever you want. Leaving the floor and not shaking hands whether it be 1 player or 15 players is a reflection of the team and coach. Over the past 3 years they had the respect of those that they beat, why not give it to the team that beat them? You win with class and lose with class and Holmes hasn't been taught this lesson. That's ashame!

You couldn't be more wrong on this one. Holmes has not gone undefeated over the last 2 years and they have had losses where they didn't exhibit this type behavior. To berate the coaches and administration at Holmes is ludicrous. This group of kids has accomplished a lot both on and off the court and to say they have not been taught how to lose is ridiculous. It is sad but oh so true that some people will always look down on the the inner-city schools in the region and have something negative to say about them.

First off, let me congratulate the Newport Wildcats on the W. They absolutely took it to the Dogs, no matter how you try to spin it.

Bottom line, Holmes played their worst game in 3 years at the wrong time and they did it against a VERY GOOD Newport team, which led to a blowout. As someone said earlier....the dynasty is finally over.

Holmes never seemed to get in any rhythm. Shots were flat. Didn't box out. Weren't very physical at either end of the floor. But most importantly, got frustrated when things didn't go their way.

I will say this....that officiating was absolutely horrible both ways. A lot of no calls and kids were getting hammered down low. Despite this, Newport kept their composure and just kept playing ball. That was the difference.

Demarko Foster absolutely took it to Ricardo last night. Definetly not the outcome I pictured when I thought of how this seniors' season would end.

For those of you calling the Holmes TEAM classless for the antics of 1 or 2 players, let's remember these are still KIDS and that while I don't agree with the antics of those 1 or 2 players, emotions run high in 16 and 17 yr old boys. Don't let the post game activities be the final impression that you get of this team because all year everyone has talked about what a respectable group this TEAM was. Just because one or two players act out of line, doesn't mean the "coach and program" lacks class like some of you are saying.

After the game, I saw Holmes players congratulating Newport and especially saw Ricardo Johnson telling the Newport players "good luck at Rupp, win state." There was only one player who didn't shake the hands of the Newport kids and he was at the END OF THE LINE.

Holmes finished the game 9 for 45 (20%) from the field. I don't care who you are, you shoot that bad from the field and you're going to get blown out of the gym...especially against a team like Newport.

Lastly, it was nice to talk to and see all of the following BGP members at the BOKC:

PaNDA, Theoldguy, Covcathiradio, lovethegame33, buttels, statmanhensley, and qryche11.

At the trophy presentation, none of the members of the TEAM came out to get their trophy...??

Well said Walter but try as you might you can't get past the fact that some people on here relish the opportunity to bash the inner-city school every chance they get. They fail to realize the pressure that has been put on these young men by their community, the region and maybe the state to repeat their feat of last year. This group of young men has been very exciting to watch the last few years and have accomplished many great things. Hopefully the ones who have failed to act responsibly will learn a valuable lesson in life and move on to bigger and better things.

GREAT game by Newport, I had a feeling they had a chance to win, but not by that much! Holmes had an unbelievable press at points, but that didn't stop the Wildcats. Good luck at RUPP!

Now onto the comments about the after game situation. Only 4 Holmes players stayed on the bench after the teams shook hands after the game, but the coaches were able to get all of those who went to the locker room back out on the floor, so what happened cannot be blamed on the coaches or administration of Holmes. Holmes coaches and parents should not be the ones to blame.

As has been stated these are kids, they were upset, they fully expected to get back to Rupp! Hopefully they will learn from this situation. But, hearing a couple of adult fans on the other side of the arena shouting out "You bunch of crybabies" is any better?

Do you think that the Newport players were concerned over this? NO! They were too busy celebrating their win. I would hope people would concentrate on Newport and their fantastic win!

That may have been the biggest dose of Humble Pie ever served.

Wow! What a shock for the Bulldogs! I can't imagine how devastatingly disappointing that is for those seniors! No excuse for bad behavior from a couple of them; one would think they had mastered sportsmanship in elementary b-ball.

But, let's not pile on to the entire school! I've seen lots of bad behavior in basketball - from little kids to seasoned coaches; inner city teams to elite private schools. Fans too!

Congrats to Holmes for a great run! Newport, stay on fire! It is great to see a team and fans that are really excited about playing the big game!

At the trophy presentation, none of the members of the TEAM came out to get their trophy...??

Any neither did the losing team of the girls game but no one is harping on that. The girls didn't even hold thier trophy up and left the floor immediately after.

Just stop picking already and lets focus on Newport and their bid for bringing the state title back to Northern Kentucky.

GREAT game by Newport, I had a feeling they had a chance to win, but not by that much! Holmes had an unbelievable press at points, but that didn't stop the Wildcats. Good luck at RUPP!

Now onto the comments about the after game situation. Only 4 Holmes players stayed on the bench after the teams shook hands after the game, but the coaches were able to get all of those who went to the locker room back out on the floor, so what happened cannot be blamed on the coaches or administration of Holmes. Holmes coaches and parents should not be the ones to blame.

As has been stated these are kids, they were upset, they fully expected to get back to Rupp! Hopefully they will learn from this situation. But, hearing a couple of adult fans on the other side of the arena shouting out "You bunch of crybabies" is any better?

Do you think that the Newport players were concerned over this? NO! They were too busy celebrating their win. I would hope people would concentrate on Newport and their fantastic win!

This is more dissapointing to me than anything some of these KIDS did on the court.

No way, I dont consider it that big of an upset. Sure, Holmes was the favorite, but I don't think a lot of people are too surprised about Newport winning. Winning by 26, maybe...

:laugh: Funny how in the poll from 2/28, only 5 out of 140 bgp posters predicted Newport's win . . .

Not what I expected at all, but that is why they play the game. Congratulations to the Newport team and those associated with it. Good luck at state! I am looking forward to watching them represent the 9th region. Foster played like a beast this entire tournament and it was very impressive. He deserved the MVP reward and a scholarship at the next level! It has been fun watching the Bulldogs the last few years and I hope those players continue to develop both personally and as basketball players as they move on.