Newport 60 Holmes 34

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cogratulations Newport on your impressive victory! It was a forgone conclusion that Holmes was going to win the 9th region but that is why you play the game. Its March Madness and anything can happen on any given night. All i can say is that Newport had nothing to lose and they played like it. I have one other comment, im tired of seeing all the negative stuff being said on here and thats that! To end on a good note, i saw Ricardo Johnson come out way after most people had left and congratulated the Newport players again. That showed what a class act and fine young man that he is!

Jake Giesler of NCC wasn't on the All Tourney team???? Whazzup wit dat?

I agree! Giesler should have been selected for his performance against Boone. Being the lone big man for NCC he held Brown scoreless and limited Lay also. Jake was also very productive with the ball on the offensive side when they would feed it to him. Not taking anything away from the kid they did select, but Giesler's performance was top notch on both ends of the court!

I agree! Giesler should have been selected for his performance against Boone. Being the lone big man for NCC he held Brown scoreless and limited Lay also. Jake was also very productive with the ball on the offensive side when they would feed it to him. Not taking anything away from the kid they did select, but Giesler's performance was top notch on both ends of the court!

No doubt they both deserved to be on it but Meyer is a Senior, Giesler will have his day next year.

No doubt they both deserved to be on it but Meyer is a Senior, Giesler will have his day next year.

Giesler had a good game. Probably worthy of a pick. But no doubt you go with the senior here. When NCC was down it was Myers play who brought them back. He was flying all around the gym getting steals and taking the ball to the hoop. Myer definetly deserved this award.

You think the Holmes bashing was bad...wait until Highlands loses a FB game in the 9th region. Whatever team is on top, the rest of the region delights to see them fall. Kind of normal. BUT keep it in perspective, they are kids! Every dog, bird, cat, mustang, colonel, etc has their day. It's the Wildcats time right now and congrats to them!!

Doubt it...the only Holmes bashing in this thread is because of the behavior of one of the Holmes players after the game. It has nothing to do with their success over the past few years. Almost everyone admires Holmes' success as everyone admires Highlands' success. That doesn't mean people aren't glads to see the king dethroned but that is completely different than bashing poor sportsmanship.

Doubt it...the only Holmes bashing in this thread is because of the behavior of one of the Holmes players after the game. It has nothing to do with their success over the past few years. Almost everyone admires Holmes' success as everyone admires Highlands' success. That doesn't mean people aren't glads to see the king dethroned but that is completely different than bashing poor sportsmanship.

I believe generally NKY fans like Holmes, like Henley and tend to pull for them when they are playing somebody else besides the team they usually pull for.

Ryan Ernst wrote a blog last year asking the question, if other NKY schools were really pulling for Holmes. I believe they were and were genuinely happy for Holmes.

There is no need to even mention Highlands in this thread. There are far too many threads that go in that direction as it is.

I believe generally NKY fans like Holmes, like Henley and tend to pull for them when they are playing somebody else besides the team they usually pull for.

Ryan Ernst wrote a blog last year asking the question, if other NKY schools were really pulling for Holmes. I believe they were and were genuinely happy for Holmes.

There is no need to even mention Highlands in this thread. There are far too many threads that go in that direction as it is.

:thumb:

I think most Holmes fans will be pulling for Newport when they begin their game at Rupp. I think most fans of the 9th will pull for their region come state tournament time. I know I will!

You think the Holmes bashing was bad...wait until Highlands loses a FB game in the 9th region. Whatever team is on top, the rest of the region delights to see them fall. Kind of normal. BUT keep it in perspective, they are kids! Every dog, bird, cat, mustang, colonel, etc has their day. It's the Wildcats time right now and congrats to them!!

Highlands' football team lost to Cov. Cath. twice in 3 weeks in 06. After the losses (one of which was a last play of the game come from behind Colonel touchdown catch in Ft. Thomas) the Highlands players walked off the field with dignity. There was no suggestion whatsoever that the Bluebird players acted inappropriately or were disrespectful to the Cov. Cath. players or anyone else. I do not think the analogy between how the Bulldogs left the court on Sunday and anything related to the Highlands football program is fair to the Bluebirds.

Just out of curiosity I grabbed our (Brossart) freshmen scorebook from 2006 when the present senior Newport Wildcats were freshmen to see how many of the present-day Cats played on that team, and how we did with them.

The game was played at Brossart High School on December 11, 2006.

The Brossart Mustangs won 47-24. Jordan Armstrong scored 15 and Jacob Rieger added 9 in the win.

For Newport, McDaniel started at guard and scored 6 points.

Tucker started at guard and had 2 points.

Collins started at forward and scored 2 points.

The other starters were Greene and Reynolds.

Sizemore came from off the bench, played in three quarters, had two fouls and didn't score.

Luther came from off the bench, played in three quarters, had two foulsand didn't score.

Reynolds was the leading scorer for Newport with 10 points.

Someone named Greene also started that game.

It's really interesting to see how teams develop, and a good lesson that if you are not a starter at the freshmen level, work hard and it might all pay off for you someday (Sizemore and Luther).

Who was Reynolds??? What happened to him???

And of course, the addition of Demarko Foster didn't hurt a thing.

Good luck to the Wildcats Wednesday night when you take on Christian County. :thumb:

Just out of curiosity I grabbed our (Brossart) freshmen scorebook from 2006 when the present senior Newport Wildcats were freshmen to see how many of the present-day Cats played on that team, and how we did with them.

The game was played at Brossart High School on December 11, 2006.

The Brossart Mustangs won 47-24. Jordan Armstrong scored 15 and Jacob Rieger added 9 in the win.

For Newport, McDaniel started at guard and scored 6 points.

Tucker started at guard and had 2 points.

Collins started at forward and scored 2 points.

The other starters were Greene and Reynolds.

Sizemore came from off the bench, played in three quarters, had two fouls and didn't score.

Luther came from off the bench, played in three quarters, had two foulsand didn't score.

Reynolds was the leading scorer for Newport with 10 points.

Someone named Greene also started that game.

It's really interesting to see how teams develop, and a good lesson that if you are not a starter at the freshmen level, work hard and it might all pay off for you someday (Sizemore and Luther).

Who was Reynolds??? What happened to him???

And of course, the addition of Demarko Foster didn't hurt a thing.

Good luck to the Wildcats Wednesday night when you take on Christian County. :thumb:

Good Stuff Mustang !

Highlands' football team lost to Cov. Cath. twice in 3 weeks in 06. After the losses (one of which was a last play of the game come from behind Colonel touchdown catch in Ft. Thomas) the Highlands players walked off the field with dignity. There was no suggestion whatsoever that the Bluebird players acted inappropriately or were disrespectful to the Cov. Cath. players or anyone else. I do not think the analogy between how the Bulldogs left the court on Sunday and anything related to the Highlands football program is fair to the Bluebirds.

Wrong! Twice in two weeks.

I sat right behind Coach Henley's family using tickets provided by Ron Madrick for the finals and my daughter Annie and I rooted our rear ends off for Holmes last year. I'll be rooting for Newport as well.