Concessions at The Fieldhouse?

I knew at least one Clark County fan would have something to say! I will quote a friend:

I ask (because I was not there), where did Montgomery County fans sit when their team played at their home gym in 2008 10th Region Tournament? I'm sure they probably sat in the seats that they had all season long. No administration in their right mind, at any school, would try to move their patrons...those that make the program possible. And let me guess, Clark County would:ohbrother:. Where the fans sit doesn't make a difference anyway. I will repeat: Mason County has 3-peated in 3 different venues. So you say that Mason Co's student section shouldn't be behind Clark Co's bench...tell your coach, although I'm sure he is well aware, that he can elect to sit at the other bench. Then you say that the coach shouldn't have to worry about it, the host school administration should take care of it...that puts Clark's student section behind their bench...wouldn't that give the advantage to Clark County? Oh is that what you wanted though??? There is no fair way to do it...life isn't fair all the time and neither is basketball. What host school wouldn't try to give their team the best chance to win? :idunno: Let me guess again, Clark County wouldn't :ohbrother::ohbrother:.

I suggest you start worrying about what's on the court rather than what's off the court...because what's on the court is what matters! One coach always told his players, "Excuses are a sign of weakness." I don't think Clark County needs anymore of those, especially from their fans. BOO-YAH!!! :scared:

Learn the gyms... Clark County fans sit on the opposite side of the gym from the benches. And if I am not mistaken, the first year in the Arena Montgomery County fans sat behind the benches, but have since moved and in the 2008 Regional final Montgomery County was opposite the benches with the Montgomery County student section in the end zone and the Mason County student section behind the Mason County bench.

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Place one student section in one end zone and one in the other and neither is behind a bench. Cheerleaders would not block the students who are probably standing anyhow, so place them in front of their students. The cheerleaders are in front of the fans at Rupp and people seem to survive.

I knew at least one Clark County fan would have something to say! I will quote a friend:

I ask (because I was not there), where did Montgomery County fans sit when their team played at their home gym in 2008 10th Region Tournament? I'm sure they probably sat in the seats that they had all season long. No administration in their right mind, at any school, would try to move their patrons...those that make the program possible. And let me guess, Clark County would:ohbrother:. Where the fans sit doesn't make a difference anyway. I will repeat: Mason County has 3-peated in 3 different venues. So you say that Mason Co's student section shouldn't be behind Clark Co's bench...tell your coach, although I'm sure he is well aware, that he can elect to sit at the other bench. Then you say that the coach shouldn't have to worry about it, the host school administration should take care of it...that puts Clark's student section behind their bench...wouldn't that give the advantage to Clark County? Oh is that what you wanted though??? There is no fair way to do it...life isn't fair all the time and neither is basketball. What host school wouldn't try to give their team the best chance to win? :idunno: Let me guess again, Clark County wouldn't :ohbrother::ohbrother:.

I suggest you start worrying about what's on the court rather than what's off the court...because what's on the court is what matters! One coach always told his players, "Excuses are a sign of weakness." I don't think Clark County needs anymore of those, especially from their fans. BOO-YAH!!! :scared:

Learn the gyms... Clark County fans sit on the opposite side of the gym from the benches. And if I am not mistaken, the first year in the Arena Montgomery County fans sat behind the benches, but have since moved and in the 2008 Regional final Montgomery County was opposite the benches with the Montgomery County student section in the end zone and the Mason County student section behind the Mason County bench.

I don't know the gyms and that's why I asked! And I was making a point to Gold Sunrise about her Clark County Cardinals. But thanks for the input.

Isn't that weird though...playing in the 10th Region for four years and not knowing the gyms??? I would assume that's because the gyms, the benches, the fans, and whatever else outside the lines don't have a real impact on the outcome of the game. I'm getting tired of repeating of myself, but the game is about the players on the court and how their coaches lead them. Once that KHSAA ball is tipped, the players aren't worried about anything else. 'Nuff said!!! :madman:

To me while there is some home court advantage, it is not the major issue with the Fieldhouse. Granted it has a great tradition, but so did Memorial and before it Alumni Hall, but Rupp was a different facility and it seems to have worked. I am sure U of L will survive giving up Freedom for their new downtown arena. By some of the Mason fans logic UK would still be in Alumni and UL in Freedom. There would have been 5000 10th region fans at BOK, at least the Clark contingent would have been the same. We've been traveling for years and the distance is about the same.

The issues I have with the Fieldhouse are parking, arriving hours before the game for a seat, the oppressive heat, the restrooms in the cellar and the uncomfortable seats. It's time has come and gone. Give the BOK time and people might have memories of the great games and its traditions and us old timers can smile and remember the times before.

Let's be honest Mason has proven they can win at all the locations and they can probably manage to win some more wherever the games are played.

Place one student section in one end zone and one in the other and neither is behind a bench. Cheerleaders would not block the students who are probably standing anyhow, so place them in front of their students. The cheerleaders are in front of the fans at Rupp and people seem to survive.

I should quote mcraycraft and say "learn the gyms!" haha. One of the endzones at The Fieldhouse is a stage, and that seating is only used for the 10th Region finals to accomodate the crowd size. Trust me, if a team's student section were put on the stage they would start complaining about how far away from the game they are. Not everyone is going to be happy all of the time.

And please don't try to compare the set-up at Rupp Arena with that at The Fieldhouse...

I should quote mcraycraft and say "learn the gyms!" haha. One of the endzones at The Fieldhouse is a stage, and that seating is only used for the 10th Region finals to accomodate the crowd size. Trust me, if a team's student section were put on the stage they would start complaining about how far away from the game they are. Not everyone is going to be happy all of the time.

And please don't try to compare the set-up at Rupp Arena with that at The Fieldhouse...

I don't claim to know all the gyms but I have seen quite a few and I know the one end zone is a stage and has only been used for finals, is there a reason it can't be used for all the games, or is this dictated by "tradition". As to the distance from the floor, I am sure that the students have good enough eyesight to see the court. I'm betting Cousins could make out the floor and the players on Monday night. At Clark the cheerleaders stand in the end zone in front of the students and it seems to work.

To me while there is some home court advantage, it is not the major issue with the Fieldhouse. Granted it has a great tradition, but so did Memorial and before it Alumni Hall, but Rupp was a different facility and it seems to have worked. I am sure U of L will survive giving up Freedom for their new downtown arena. By some of the Mason fans logic UK would still be in Alumni and UL in Freedom. There would have been 5000 10th region fans at BOK, at least the Clark contingent would have been the same. We've been traveling for years and the distance is about the same.

The issues I have with the Fieldhouse are parking, arriving hours before the game for a seat, the oppressive heat, the restrooms in the cellar and the uncomfortable seats. It's time has come and gone. Give the BOK time and people might have memories of the great games and its traditions and us old timers can smile and remember the times before.

Let's be honest Mason has proven they can win at all the locations and they can probably manage to win some more wherever the games are played.

Thank you for giving credit where credit is due.

And yes I am going to defend my opinion once again. If you did not read my entire first post (#191), I did state that tradition must be given the opportunity to grow and BoK has not had that yet. Sure there might have been the same number of fans at the BoK this year, but it still would not have had the same atmosphere. I think the capacity there is around 10,000...that means that it would only be half full. Nobody, most importantly the players, wants that!

The issues you have are legit issues and should be looked at by the Mason County officials. If they were to improve on these, then Mason County would go back to hosting the 10 Region Tournament every year!!! haha

Well, in my opinion, the overall better team did not win the game Monday night. The better team won that night though. Is that due to home court advantage? Well... :idunno:

I will admit maybe there is a little HCA...how can there not be when the Mason County players practice in that gym and play all of their home games there? However, usually when the overall better team which means better talent (as you say Clark County) does not win on a given night, it can attributed to strategy as in coaching strategy. When two Mason Co guards that are everything short of 6' are guarding two Clark Co "guards" that are both taller than 6'4" and Clark Co never goes in the post, when Clark Co players are jacking up 3's in the 4th quarter with the lead, what or who is to blame? The Home Court Advantage??? I don't think so!!! The coaches need to take control. Here I go repeating myself...games are won by a team players UNDER THE DIRECTION OF THEIR COACHES.

Thank you for giving credit where credit is due.

And yes I am going to defend my opinion once again. If you did not read my entire first post (#191), I did state that tradition must be given the opportunity to grow and BoK has not had that yet. Sure there might have been the same number of fans at the BoK this year, but it still would not have had the same atmosphere. I think the capacity there is around 10,000...that means that it would only be half full. Nobody, most importantly the players, wants that!

The issues you have are legit issues and should be looked at by the Mason County officials. If they were to improve on these, then Mason County would go back to hosting the 10 Region Tournament every year!!! haha

I will admit maybe there is a little HCA...how can there not be when the Mason County players practice in that gym and play all of their home games there? However, usually when the overall better team which means better talent (as you say Clark County) does not win on a given night, it can attributed to strategy as in coaching strategy. When two Mason Co guards that are everything short of 6' are guarding two Clark Co "guards" that are both taller than 6'4" and Clark Co never goes in the post, when Clark Co players are jacking up 3's in the 4th quarter with the lead, what or who is to blame? The Home Court Advantage??? I don't think so!!! The coaches need to take control. Here I go repeating myself...games are won by a team players UNDER THE DIRECTION OF THEIR COACHES.

DING DING DING we have a winner!

Well, in my opinion, the overall better team did not win the game Monday night. The better team won that night though. Is that due to home court advantage? Well... :idunno:

I don't claim to know all the gyms but I have seen quite a few and I know the one end zone is a stage and has only been used for finals, is there a reason it can't be used for all the games, or is this dictated by "tradition". As to the distance from the floor, I am sure that the students have good enough eyesight to see the court. I'm betting Cousins could make out the floor and the players on Monday night. At Clark the cheerleaders stand in the end zone in front of the students and it seems to work.

Not dictated by "tradition", but is not used for all games because the space is not needed. And I'm sure you don't care about any other games at The Fieldhouse than the one Clark County continues to lose in a.k.a the 10th Region finals!

I dont know about Cousins though, he obviously need some glasses!!! :cool:

I will go back to what I have said all season. Regional tournaments need to be held on neutral courts. This is not a 10th region statement, this is for all regionals. And I stand by this statement knowing that I have just built an 8 mil. facility here in Montgomery County.

I will go back to what I have said all season. Regional tournaments need to be held on neutral courts. This is not a 10th region statement, this is for all regionals. And I stand by this statement knowing that I have just built an 8 mil. facility here in Montgomery County.

I totally agree.

First of all, I would like to say that this is ridiculous...all of these opinions are just that, opinions, and everyone is entitled to their own. With that being said, I will continue the ridiculousness! haha

To start, no thread should have ever been started to discuss the concessions at The Fieldhouse...these amenities are fairly insignificant in the whole scheme of a basketball tournament. Yeah people travel from different distances, some far (Clark County) and some not so far (Mason County), but everyone has the opportunity to eat before, during, or after the game. If you feel the concessions are that bad, you don't need to complain; just don't eat them. Mason Co shouldn't serve concesisons and then The Fieldhouse would be able to seat more people...if you catch my drift!

On to the next one: where the 10th Region Tournament should be held. Apparently, numerous people feel that Mason County has HCA with the tourney being held at The Fieldhouse...wouldn't that mean that Montgomery County had HCA when the tourney was there 2 years ago? If I am correct, Mason Co went on to win that year despite Montgomery's "HCA". The year before that (2007), Clark County beat Mason Co at The Fieldhouse. So where is this Home Court Advantage??? Let me remind you that Mason Co has won the 10th Region the past 3 years, all being at different venues. A team of players with the direction of their coaches wins championships, nothing else. The place of play is voted on and that vote has been exercised the past 3 years; nevertheless, the tourney has had the same outcome as previously stated.

Now on to the way the 10 Region Tournament was ran this year at The Fieldhouse. There are several issues that go with the main discussion (home vs. away) even though they have no real effect on the outcome of the game: locker rooms, benches, fan & student sections, cheerleaders, etc.. Any game at The Fieldhouse that involves Mason County should have Mason Co in their own locker room. I don't think anybody can argue that. However, I do agree that the benches and f&s sections should be decided by the brackets...that is only fair. I'd like to see opposing fans try to move the Mason Co faithful out of their season long seats though! About the cheerleaders, the reason that both teams' are on the same side (in front of the stage) is this: any group of cheerleaders on the other side of the court would obstruct the view of half of those endzone seats, no matter who is sitting there.

Finally, atmosphere...the previous topics are all elements of atmosphere. I was not able to make the game Monday night, but I wished I could have just to experience my first 10th Region finals at The Fieldhouse as a fan! I don't know how you could beat it! The atmosphere at that place is amazing. Yeah the concessions might not offer that much, the temperature might approach the boiling point, and you might not be able to move, but the game isn't about you the fans....it's about the players. As a former player, there were three things that I wanted for the ideal playing conditions: playing a rival, playing in front of a packed house, and playing in a place where there is tradition. A Mason County vs. Clark County finals at The Fieldhouse has all three of these things! So I ask why are there so many complaints??? For all those who want the BoK to host, it might only have one of those things...and that's if Mason plays Clark in the finals. You say who wouldn't want to play in NKU's BoK and then go to play in UK's Rupp as if to compare the two...when no comparison can be made at all. Yes BoK is a very nice, new facility but it in no way, shape, or form has the tradition that Rupp Arena has...it doesn't even have the tradition that The Fieldhouse has, especially when it comes to the 10th Region Tournament. You can argue that tradition has to be given a chance to be started like making the 10th Region Tourney a staple at BoK, but good luck getting 10,000 to come to a high school basketball game...you don't need that many seats. The Fieldhouse or Montgomery County's gym doesn't have that many seats. There's the answer. Throw the biggest high school gym in NKY into the rotation with The Fieldhouse and Montgomery Co., but I don't think any place can match the atmosphere that the Mason County Fieldhouse has.

Obviously, my Mason County bias is seen throughout this post...but IMO it is also impartial logic that any true fan can agree with. So go ahead...the Royals are #1, we wear the crown, :notworthy:!!!

I don't think there is anything wrong with the discussion of concessions in the Fieldhouse - it is probably wrong to bring in the outcome of the games in this thread. I am not reading this thread because I am interested in who won the game.

Your opinion that the game is for the players has some merit, but there is no reason the tournament hosts shouldn't be concerned with those that paid admission to enter the games.

After this year's tournament, it seems obvious the logistics of the tournament need to be addressed by a committee, and not by those at the drawing. Coaches are coaches, not event planners, they shouldn't have to worry about the details. There should be a tournament committee comprised of people in the 10th region who have an interest in putting on a nice event. It can be held at the Fieldhouse every year if that is the decision. Just because you have a facilities doesn't mean you can put together the event.

And that is what I thought this tread was about.

Not dictated by "tradition", but is not used for all games because the space is not needed. And I'm sure you don't care about any other games at The Fieldhouse than the one Clark County continues to lose in a.k.a the 10th Region finals!

I dont know about Cousins though, he obviously need some glasses!!! :cool:

Good point about Cousins glasses.:laugh: I actually have attended other games during the regionals at the Fieldhouse that GRC did not play in. I no longer do so for the many reasons I listed several posts ago. My family and myself did attend other games during the regional at the BOK last year because it was a nice experience for the most part. Notice I said for the most part, it wasn't perfect, nowhere can suit everyone.

I understand that the stage end zone is not used every game because the space is not needed. But if that is the only reason, it does not preclude the use in every game even when the space is not needed. It could be one of the dedicated student sections. Now if there are other reasons, safety issues (hopefully not since it is used for the final), costs in preparing, than that is understandable and maybe a legit arguement against the use.

As I stated home court is not my biggest issue, but it is to a lot of people. Mason can not build a facility with the school that is compareable to the BOK and they shouldn't be able to. But if Maysville and Mason had a local facility of the same type and size as the BOK arena, I would not mind playing there on a rotation with other similar facilities.

The issues in this discussion are so far apart that we will not find mutual ground. We can hash it out until you are blue in the face and I am red in the face without any progress. So this is my last post on this thread. I have my opinions and you have yours, as we should. :isurrender:

I totally agree.

I don't think there is anything wrong with the discussion of concessions in the Fieldhouse - it is probably wrong to bring in the outcome of the games in this thread. I am not reading this thread because I am interested in who won the game.

Your opinion that the game is for the players has some merit, but there is no reason the tournament hosts shouldn't be concerned with those that paid admission to enter the games.

After this year's tournament, it seems obvious the logistics of the tournament need to be addressed by a committee, and not by those at the drawing. Coaches are coaches, not event planners, they shouldn't have to worry about the details. There should be a tournament committee comprised of people in the 10th region who have an interest in putting on a nice event. It can be held at the Fieldhouse every year if that is the decision. Just because you have a facilities doesn't mean you can put together the event.

And that is what I thought this tread was about.

Good point about Cousins glasses.:laugh: I actually have attended other games during the regionals at the Fieldhouse that GRC did not play in. I no longer do so for the many reasons I listed several posts ago. My family and myself did attend other games during the regional at the BOK last year because it was a nice experience for the most part. Notice I said for the most part, it wasn't perfect, nowhere can suit everyone.

I understand that the stage end zone is not used every game because the space is not needed. But if that is the only reason, it does not preclude the use in every game even when the space is not needed. It could be one of the dedicated student sections. Now if there are other reasons, safety issues (hopefully not since it is used for the final), costs in preparing, than that is understandable and maybe a legit arguement against the use.

As I stated home court is not my biggest issue, but it is to a lot of people. Mason can not build a facility with the school that is compareable to the BOK and they shouldn't be able to. But if Maysville and Mason had a local facility of the same type and size as the BOK arena, I would not mind playing there on a rotation with other similar facilities.

The issues in this discussion are so far apart that we will not find mutual ground. We can hash it out until you are blue in the face and I am red in the face without any progress. So this is my last post on this thread. I have my opinions and you have yours, as we should. :isurrender:

I agree with all of the above bolded statements and am glad that some of us BGPers from the 10th Region (especially from Mason County, Montgomery County, and Clark County) could find some common ground. :thumb:

boonesp, no need to surrender! I can and will respect others' opinions as I would expect the same...but that doesn't mean I won't try make mine the best haha :D

What do you say we start a petition to improve the 10th Region Tournament from the fans' perspective, however small of a part we play? :clap: