"Since 1990, 11 schools have won 49 out of the 60 state titles"...

72birdman

Use the figures since Moses had the swimming contest for the Egyptian Army in the Red Sea and it is miniscule.

Then the Publics went before the BOC and said, "O mighty KHSAA, Let those people go, so our people can gather for a festival in the house of He who makes pizza!"

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Then the Publics went before the BOC and said, "O mighty KHSAA, Let those people go, so our people can gather for a festival in the house of He who makes pizza!"

That's funny. I think I might be in trouble, though. I used a Christian reference about schools, surely some sort of rule I violated doing that. :sssh:

Individual teams that won SEPARATE divisions than the Yankees and Red Sox to get into the playoffs. My point also was have any of those individual teams succeeded in a YEAR IN and YEAR OUT fashion as the Yankees/Red Sox have. NO. Best they have done is a good 1-2-3 year run.

So a system that allows a handful of programs to have success every year while looking for other programs to look for that one magical year or two, is a good system?

The Twins, A's, and Marlins are perennial contenders, as is Houston, St. Louis, Annaheim.

When teams make good decisions, they succeed. Just like public schools and the decisions they make.

With all of the problems you present, the last thing they should be worried about is athletics-if they REALLY care about the kids.

They should do what is best for the kids- teach the curriculum, teach school pride, get as many kids involved in extra-curriculars as possible, recruit parents to join PTA groups and booster groups, work hard in the off-season, get good coaches who know the game and motivate players, enforce discipline, assign homework and hold kids accountable that don't do it, punish kids for breaking the rules-as it is in the real world, enforce attendance in school and in athletics, no thriving in the classroom-no playing sports, and others.....

This is what the private schools and the public schools are doing that are succeeding! They are not making excuses.

How is admitting that your students and your schools have better support than public schools an attack on your kids?

Pretty much that is what is occurring with the vote. The ones that wish for a separate division will vote yes, those that don't will vote nay. The reason why you do not have the choice, it was not included in the proposal. If some public schools wish to compete with the privates, we might very well see a proposal next year or soon after that would give the publics an option.

You are attacking our kids because you are punishing them for their success. I know you don't think it's a punishment but we disagree.

If you can't compete with the private schools then you should be the one have reclassification forced upon you.

And before you say anything about majority rules, if that was truly the case think about where you would be? I know majority of people involved in high school athletics wanted nothing whatsoever to do with girl's sports in the 70's and if they are honest they still feel that girl's sports have for the most part been pushed down their throats. If it wasn't the case there would be no need for Title 9. You want to espouse the idea that because a majority of schools feel that the private schools need to be separated it should just be accepted and we should just roll over, and yet if not for Title 9 the majority would most likely downgrade your sport drastically. I call that hypocricy.

You are attacking our kids because you are punishing them for their success. I know you don't think it's a punishment but we disagree.

If you can't compete with the private schools then you should be the one have reclassification forced upon you.

And before you say anything about majority rules, if that was truly the case think about where you would be? I know majority of people involved in high school athletics wanted nothing whatsoever to do with girl's sports in the 70's and if they are honest they still feel that girl's sports have for the most part been pushed down their throats. If it wasn't the case there would be no need for Title 9. You want to espouse the idea that because a majority of schools feel that the private schools need to be separated it should just be accepted and we should just roll over, and yet if not for Title 9 the majority would most likely downgrade your sport drastically. I call that hypocricy.

To create a separate classification for public schools how should that read. Something to the affect that at the end of the regular season, a separate postseason tournament will be held for public schools that do not want to compete agains the private schools? That is pretty much what Prop 20 says.

The Twins, A's, and Marlins are perennial contenders, as is Houston, St. Louis, Annaheim.

When teams make good decisions, they succeed. Just like public schools and the decisions they make.

With all of the problems you present, the last thing they should be worried about is athletics-if they REALLY care about the kids.

They should do what is best for the kids- teach the curriculum, teach school pride, get as many kids involved in extra-curriculars as possible, recruit parents to join PTA groups and booster groups, work hard in the off-season, get good coaches who know the game and motivate players, enforce discipline, assign homework and hold kids accountable that don't do it, punish kids for breaking the rules-as it is in the real world, enforce attendance in school and in athletics, no thriving in the classroom-no playing sports, and others.....

This is what the private schools and the public schools are doing that are succeeding! They are not making excuses.

Totally agree :thumb:

To create a separate classification for public schools how should that read. Something to the affect that at the end of the regular season, a separate postseason tournament will be held for public schools that do not want to compete agains the private schools? That is pretty much what Prop 20 says.

WRONG WRONG WRONG

Prop 20 does not give public schools an option it just excludes all private schools from competing with public school in the post season.

If you can't compete then don't. Why do you feel that it is either right or proper to drag all public schools down with you?

One very good point, that I believe is not being reviewed. :thumb:

There are other programs trying to break in, including Manual in 4-A. The Crimsons have been knocking on the club door for several years, and Glaser said other programs could learn a bit from them.

"If you approach it like Manual, you can get there," Glaser said. "If you start somewhere and are in it for the long haul, get kids to come out, win a few games and then add some numbers, all of a sudden there you are competing."

:lol: And I thought we were supposed to be what is killing public schools... :lol:

And a lot of athletes in smaller public rural schools are working hard too. On the farm, at jobs, earning money to pay for their school expenses, car because their parents cannot afford to provide one for them, etc, etc. Not saying this is true of every situation BUT private and public schools simply operate on 2 different levels. Like the Reds and the Yankees.

Would everyone agree that year in and year out that it will be very difficult for the Reds to compete against the Yankees and Red Sox? That is how the publics look at the situation. If the planets are aligned and they have just the right class and make all the decisions correctly they can compete. If not, they won't. As some have been crying for a salary cap to "level the playing field" in MLB, the publics are asking for something to be done to do the same in HS athletics.

For too long, the privates have taken the stance that they are doing nothing wrong and arrogantly said the publics are simply not working hard enough. Well now the majority is rising up against the minority and it is playing out. I personally don't think Prop 20 will pass. I think there will be 40-some public schools vote against it. I think it's failure will be a GOOD thing, if the privates realize that it is an issue and there are enough public schools upset with the situation that THEY need to contribute to a solution to the problem BESIDES simply telling the publics to work harder.

The Sultan Likes your Style.

The EVIL :fire: empires must be stopped!

Preach on!

I have read this thread and all the others in this forum now for weeks and in the final analysis it still comes down to a weak argument by the publics to "dumb down" the system. Rather than raising the bar, aiming higher, and yes, accepting defeat in some cases, they choose to litigate or legislate a perception of competitive balance. And I truly do mean a PERCEPTION of competitive balance becuase there still will not be anything resembling a level playing field for all schools of all sizes even if this ridiculous proposal were to pass. Ladiesballcoach your passions and convictions are admirable, however misplaced I personally believe them to be. The truth is the public systems have a history of trying to bring the leaders backwards to the pack rather than being creative in finding ways to advance their own situations. It is true in the way we now creatively measure test scores, it is true on the new ans "improved" ACT tests and it is true in the revised grading systems employed throughout most school districts. And don't give me the rhetoric about public school have-nots and inner-city or rural schols, I was one of those kids and I now work in that very same environment every day. I admire my superintendent and his assistants today because they have chosen to become creative in their attempt to solve the economic and family caused barriers to their student's success. That includes the athletic program as well. And they are among the smallest of districts in the state and we must compete with several of the "haves" as well as the private schools. No, it is never the right answer to bring the leaders to the pack. The answer is to find the means to catch the leaders. If any good comes of this mess I will stand and cheer, but I cannot see any benefit at this point.