"Since 1990, 11 schools have won 49 out of the 60 state titles"...

72birdman

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would contend that there is a larger % of students with a major trauma/event in their lives than you would expect. And again my point that private and public schools environment is vastly different.

You're making an assumption, though, that there aren't kids in private schools facing similar, if not exact circumstances. You seem to assume that all the kids in private schools have rosy lives with no challenges whatsoever. There are absent parents, there are divorced parents, there are drugs, there are learning disabilities, there are behavioral disorders, there are kids that are not as well off as others.

You are making assumptions to apply to the general private school population. And although I feel that you may be correct in that the number is more than I know of public school kids with those traumas and events, I feel that this is a statistic that is often used in arguments, yet still applies, when compared to the total number of public school students, to the minority of students, rather than the majority.

So LBC let me see if I finally have a grasp on your position.

There are some public schools that are so far behind (in terms of community support, parental support and academics in general) that they will never be able to compete with the private schools or the public schools that do enjoy those "benefits".

Because there are schools that will never have the "benefits" of good community support, parental involvement and academic excellence there need to be a separation.

The separation is not a punishment rather just another classification to put everyone on "a level field".

If all of those are true then please tell me why those schools that feel that can't compete with those that have the aforementioned "benefits" shouldn't just start their own classification and play against schools that are in the same struggles they are?

I for one don't believe for one second that if this proposal passes that the powers that be, particularly in smaller rural districts, will be satisfied. Maybe for a few years that will act happy but after a while when they realize that the same schools are winning titles at a disproportinate rate there will be a move to once again "level the field".

You're making an assumption, though, that there aren't kids in private schools facing similar, if not exact circumstances. You seem to assume that all the kids in private schools have rosy lives with no challenges whatsoever. There are absent parents, there are divorced parents, there are drugs, there are learning disabilities, there are behavioral disorders, there are kids that are not as well off as others.

You are making assumptions to apply to the general private school population. And although I feel that you may be correct in that the number is more than I know of public school kids with those traumas and events, I feel that this is a statistic that is often used in arguments, yet still applies, when compared to the total number of public school students, to the minority of students, rather than the majority.

I am sure that all is not rosy for private school children. And it is the minority, not the majority. But like most things, the vocal minority or the squeaky wheel gets most of the grease.

A student of mine was suspended at one time. After he blew up and threw books at me, and he calmed down, we began to talk. He had a fight with one of his parents that morning and took it out on me. He saw that was wrong and hopefully learned from it. Of course, it took the first 2 hours of my morning and away from the other students. Hopefully, it will turn out to be worth it.

Hmmm. Less than 22% of the state championships have been won by privates over the last 15 years. The public schools have won 78 percent of the titles.

Stats are great. You can say whatever you want with them. Look at the 10 years that the sponsors used and that number is much higher. Look at last year only and that number is astronomical. Use the figures for the past 20 years and that number drops. Use the figures for the past 50 and little lower. Use the figures since Moses had the swimming contest for the Egyptian Army in the Red Sea and it is miniscule.

The proposal and those making the argument is the trend over the last 10 years and the expectation that the trend will not be reversing itself.

Stats are great. You can say whatever you want with them. Look at the 10 years that the sponsors used and that number is much higher. Look at last year only and that number is astronomical. Use the figures for the past 20 years and that number drops. Use the figures for the past 50 and little lower. Use the figures since Moses had the swimming contest for the Egyptian Army in the Red Sea and it is miniscule.

The proposal and those making the argument is the trend over the last 10 years and the expectation that the trend will not be reversing itself.

Listen LBBC I know the adversity that you personally speak of and I respect where you are coming from :thumb:

FYI...Our "cloning sytem" got a little screwed up these last couple years so we may have some down time for another year or two LBBC if if makes you feel any better :lol: :lol:

Listen LBBC I know the adversity that you personally speak of and I respect where you are coming from :thumb:

I think private schools are taking this too personal. I understand how they could and understand where they are coming from, but I think this is more about the public schools admitting that they cannot do the things that private schools are capable of doing. We are two different much-needed creatures that have been forced together. Like Julia Roberts and Lyle Lovett. Everyone knew that was heading for a split when it began.

FYI...Our "cloning sytem" got a little screwed up these last couple years so we may have some down time for another year or two LBBC if if makes you feel any better :lol: :lol:

I had to reread that. Thought it said "clowning" system at first and thought T was trying to corner the rodeo clown market. :D

I think private schools are taking this too personal. I understand how they could and understand where they are coming from, but I think this is more about the public schools admitting that they cannot do the things that private schools are capable of doing. We are two different much-needed creatures that have been forced together. Like Julia Roberts and Lyle Lovett. Everyone knew that was heading for a split when it began.

How are the private schools not supposed to take it personally? One of the things that you have stated ad naseum is that the private schools enjoy better support from outside the school then do publics. MAny of us see this proposal as an attack on our kids. How are we not supposed to take that personally?

Then if as you claim the proposed separation is not a punishment why not let the public schools that feel they can not compete start their own classification and let all of those like minded schools compete in that division?

How are the private schools not supposed to take it personally? One of the things that you have stated ad naseum is that the private schools enjoy better support from outside the school then do publics. MAny of us see this proposal as an attack on our kids. How are we not supposed to take that personally?

Then if as you claim the proposed separation is not a punishment why not let the public schools that feel they can not compete start their own classification and let all of those like minded schools compete in that division?

How is admitting that your students and your schools have better support than public schools an attack on your kids?

Pretty much that is what is occurring with the vote. The ones that wish for a separate division will vote yes, those that don't will vote nay. The reason why you do not have the choice, it was not included in the proposal. If some public schools wish to compete with the privates, we might very well see a proposal next year or soon after that would give the publics an option.