"Since 1990, 11 schools have won 49 out of the 60 state titles"...

72birdman

I thought we had discussed that when it was mentioned that a lot of the issues that are causing publics not to be able to compete against privates are issues that the KHSAA has no control. KHSAA is simply trying to manage the situation that confronts them. They cannot heal the ills of society.

But, isn't that what this is all about? Aren't you saying that once the privates are out, it will be apples to apples competing?

That's simply NOT the case! Every school district in this state has it's own rules, etc. There will NEVER be an apples to apples scenario in sports or any other scenario. Life is NOT an apples to apples scenario.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But, isn't that what this is all about? Aren't you saying that once the privates are out, it will be apples to apples competing?

That's simply NOT the case! Every school district in this state has it's own rules, etc. There will NEVER be an apples to apples scenario in sports or any other scenario. Life is NOT an apples to apples scenario.

Yes I believe it will be apples to apples competing. It may be MacIntosh vs. Granny Smith's but they will both be apples.

This could be a title of a whole new thread but why is school an example of life. We can't talk about religion in school, so that part of life we have to take out. We are forbidden to talk about certain subjects in a public school, abortion would be one, so those aspects of life are taken out. There are many, many aspects of life that we do NOT and are NOT ALLOWED to address in a public school that saying school is teaching you about life is not correct.

Yes I believe it will be apples to apples competing. It may be MacIntosh vs. Granny Smith's but they will both be apples.

This could be a title of a whole new thread but why is school an example of life. We can't talk about religion in school, so that part of life we have to take out. We are forbidden to talk about certain subjects in a public school, abortion would be one, so those aspects of life are taken out. There are many, many aspects of life that we do NOT and are NOT ALLOWED to address in a public school that saying school is teaching you about life is not correct.

Then maybe private schools are more indicative of "real life". :lol:

Ahem.

STUDENTS talk to EACH OTHER about ALL of those things.

In REAL LIFE, it would be innapropriate in a professional setting for your boss to prostletyze, or to tell female employees that abortion is wrong. However, friends socializing do talk about such things, and that sounds a lot like school to me.

Then maybe private schools are more indicative of "real life". :lol:

On some things I would say a definitive yes. On other issues I would say no. I don't think there are many 16 year olds in a private school that test out on a 2nd grade reading level or they left their home where mom and dad are running a meth lab in the basement to go to school. Or where a kid has no hopes of graduating with his class (17 year old with 6 credits and needing 24 to graduate) and does not want to be here but the court system is forcing him to be here and state law says we MUST allow him to continue school till he is 21 because he is a resource student.

Ahem.

STUDENTS talk to EACH OTHER about ALL of those things.

In REAL LIFE, it would be innapropriate in a professional setting for your boss to prostletyze, or to tell female employees that abortion is wrong. However, friends socializing do talk about such things, and that sounds a lot like school to me.

I have searched the Internet and the KY Post website for the article that ran yesterday but cannot find it. It seems some scientists have found out new information about teenagers brain. Previous scientists were WRONG on the view of the human brain. It seems new tests show that teenagers brains DO NOT have all the necessary development to make the proper decisions. Certain areas of the brain that are used by adults for good logical decision making is NOT developed yet in the teenagers brain. So letting those areas be learned through discussing with other teens would be like letting the blind lead the blind.

Imagine something we teach in all science and health classes being wrong. Even though scientists have considered it scientific fact to this point. Wonder if anything else they teach in science classes is wrong also. ;):D

On some things I would say a definitive yes. On other issues I would say no. I don't think there are many 16 year olds in a private school that test out on a 2nd grade reading level or they left their home where mom and dad are running a meth lab in the basement to go to school. Or where a kid has no hopes of graduating with his class (17 year old with 6 credits and needing 24 to graduate) and does not want to be here but the court system is forcing him to be here and state law says we MUST allow him to continue school till he is 21 because he is a resource student.

I'd have to argue that while those thing DO occur, that they are anomolies. If they were the norm, then the rest of the student population would be in the same situations. The fact is, you're speaking of a realtively small segment of students, when compared to the total student population in Kentucky's public schools.

Does that include if the dogs are pitbulls and you were born a beagle? :D;):p:cool:

Your funny :lol: :lol:

This is not a knock on anyone, team, etc....

Life is tough...it comes with MANY challenges...you either step up to the plate and face these challenges or you rollover. Kicking schools out is not the answer...what is the answer??? I am not 100% sure.

This is what I think. If they kick out these selected schools as time goes by there will be teams to replace the T, X, Male, etc. of the state. So then whatcha gonna do start kicking those teams out also???

If it was me I would stay in and fight....why...because I am fighter and I know that nothing will be given to me...if I want something I have to go out and get it.

Someone once gave me a quote that hangs in my office and I read it almost everyday......

"Don't hang out with people who are where you don't really want to be. Your friends and the enviroment reflect what you really feel about yourself. Winners hang out with winners. Losers hang out with losers. When you are on the move, you need people and an enviroment that supports and encourages your dream. You won't find that among people who are helpless and hopeless. You won't find support for your goals among people who whine and complain. You must know and believe that there are people waiting for you in the places you want to be. They will nuture, support and encourage you to keep moving. People you know may not always support your growth. For you to move on means you leave them behind. It also means that you prove what they claim to be impossible is definitely possible."

I'd have to argue that while those thing DO occur, that they are anomolies. If they were the norm, then the rest of the student population would be in the same situations. The fact is, you're speaking of a realtively small segment of students, when compared to the total student population in Kentucky's public schools.

I would contend that there is a larger % of students with a major trauma/event in their lives than you would expect. And again my point that private and public schools environment is vastly different.

I have searched the Internet and the KY Post website for the article that ran yesterday but cannot find it. It seems some scientists have found out new information about teenagers brain. Previous scientists were WRONG on the view of the human brain. It seems new tests show that teenagers brains DO NOT have all the necessary development to make the proper decisions. Certain areas of the brain that are used by adults for good logical decision making is NOT developed yet in the teenagers brain. So letting those areas be learned through discussing with other teens would be like letting the blind lead the blind.

Imagine something we teach in all science and health classes being wrong. Even though scientists have considered it scientific fact to this point. Wonder if anything else they teach in science classes is wrong also. ;):D

Actually, scientists have known for a LONG time that that area of the brain is underdeveloped in teenagers for a long time. I have a great article from the NY Times on the topic. ;)

It doesn't change that its still like real life... I think that area of the brain is underdeveloped in most adults... :D

Your funny :lol: :lol:

This is not a knock on anyone, team, etc....

Life is tough...it comes with MANY challenges...you either step up to the plate and face these challenges or you rollover. Kicking schools out is not the answer...what is the answer??? I am not 100% sure.

This is what I think. If they kick out these selected schools as time goes by there will be teams to replace the T, X, Male, etc. of the state. So then whatcha gonna do start kicking those teams out also???

If it was me I would stay in and fight....why...because I am fighter and I know that nothing will be given to me...if I want something I have to go out and get it.

Someone once gave me a quote that hangs in my office and I read it almost everyday......

"Don't hang out with people who are where you don't really want to be. Your friends and the enviroment reflect what you really feel about yourself. Winners hang out with winners. Losers hang out with losers. When you are on the move, you need people and an enviroment that supports and encourages your dream. You won't find that among people who are helpless and hopeless. You won't find support for your goals among people who whine and complain. You must know and believe that there are people waiting for you in the places you want to be. They will nuture, support and encourage you to keep moving. People you know may not always support your growth. For you to move on means you leave them behind. It also means that you prove what they claim to be impossible is definitely possible."

Great quote and I will use that in my class.