Top 10 teams next year?

I like your list except for Boone Co because they will not be top ten team in the state this year. Replace Boone with Highlands and then it looks good. :thumb:

I think Boone has a good shot to be top 10 again. (They made it to #6 last year.) I'm not convinced Boone won't be as good or better than last year. They lost McFarland, Spaulding, and Andrew Brown but have 4 good, seasoned senior starters back, plus 5 more seniors, as well as good juniors Trevan Brown and Montgomery coming up. While nobody will directly replace everything McFarland did, I think Boone will end up being a more balanced team and replacing him "by committee." The two mentioned juniors will be very capable replacements for Spaulding and Andrew Brown. Boone will still have very good guards too, which is a big part of any team's success. The team won't have quite as much height this year and will be a bit undersized compared to some teams, but if they don't play half-court ball all of the time and they get out and run/press/push the ball, they will be able to utilize their quick guards better IMO. Nobody was even putting Boone in the top 20 in last year's preseason, and they exceeded most expectations. Any team with good guards can be dangerous.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Boone has a good shot to be top 10 again. (They made it to #6 last year.) I'm not convinced Boone won't be as good or better than last year. They lost McFarland, Spaulding, and Andrew Brown but have 4 good, seasoned senior starters back, plus 5 more seniors, as well as good juniors Trevan Brown and Montgomery coming up. While nobody will directly replace everything McFarland did, I think Boone will end up being a more balanced team and replacing him "by committee." The two mentioned juniors will be very capable replacements for Spaulding and Andrew Brown. Boone will still have very good guards too, which is a big part of any team's success. The team won't have quite as much height this year and will be a bit undersized compared to some teams, but if they don't play half-court ball all of the time and they get out and run/press/push the ball, they will be able to utilize their quick guards better IMO. Nobody was even putting Boone in the top 20 in last year's preseason, and they exceeded most expectations. Any team with good guards can be dangerous.

Boone will have descent team this year, but they won't be ranked as one of the top ten teams in the state. Heck, they probably will be only be the #3 best team in their own region. IMO: they will not be better than last year's team.

He will be playing 2 guard, I'm told from a friend of one of the assistant coaches he will be there and will fit in , in the 2 guard position. Starting 5 would probably be Justice, Whitaker, Hatfield, Taylor and Tyler Newsome. With Cody Varney (excellent player) coming off the bench and another player who was on team last year (name slips my mind right now) and contributing. They say he has been impressive in summer and can help the team out this year. Having a 7 man rotation.

Trinity may have the best team in Louisville. I would have them in the top 10.

I have to agree with Trinity being a top 15 caliber team with Josh Sewell being one of the top, if not the best player, in the region at the 2, 6'5" Taylor Epley, getting low D1 and D2 looks, at the 3, two 6'5" players to rotate at the 5, 6' 2" Charles Foster, one of the top players in 2012 at the 2, and 5' 11" Daniel Corbett, very savvy point guard to run the show with several quality guys, including incoming freshman James Quick, coming off the bench.

They should be better than last year but with Ballard and (everybody in Louisville's darkhorse) Seneca in their district, it will be a tough road!

I too disagree with Bowling Green. Replace them with Christian Co or J-Town.
J-Town will be good but I was not overly impressed with them this summer. The "weak sister" of the 11th region Franklin Co. went 1-1 against them this summer. I don't believe them to be top 10.

J-Town will be good but I was not overly impressed with them this summer. The "weak sister" of the 11th region Franklin Co. went 1-1 against them this summer. I don't believe them to be top 10.

What does that even mean? Franklin Co. is probably a top 6 or 7 team (maybe higher) in the 11th region.

Boone will have descent team this year, but they won't be ranked as one of the top ten teams in the state. Heck, they probably will be only be the #3 best team in their own region. IMO: they will not be better than last year's team.

That's what everybody said last year (about top 10). We'll see...

The only difference maker they lost that may be hard to replace is McFarland. A. Brown provided solid senior leadership, but T. Brown and T. Montgomery are apt replacements in both scoring and rebounding and are a few inches taller. Spaulding had a couple good games but really didn't even start until the end of the season.

The 9th will be one of the stronger regions in the state, along with the 7th and 11th. I don't think its impossible to have 3 top 10 teams from one region.

That's what everybody said last year (about top 10). We'll see...

The only difference maker they lost that may be hard to replace is McFarland. A. Brown provided solid senior leadership, but T. Brown and T. Montgomery are apt replacements in both scoring and rebounding and are a few inches taller. Spaulding had a couple good games but really didn't even start until the end of the season.

The 9th will be one of the stronger regions in the state, along with the 7th and 11th. I don't think its impossible to have 3 top 10 teams from one region.

You make some valid points, but really the truth is Holmes is the only squad from the 9th region that is a unanimous top ten team in the state.

Only reason Spaulding did not play as much is because of the politics surrounding Boone County Basketballs program. Here is a young man that was a spectator at the Senior East/West allstar game the West was short players ask Spaulding to play in which he ends up scoring 20+ points and being named the MVP for the West. This was not by luck he has always been more then capable of putting up these type of number but never really was giving the chance.So he was more than capable of being a difference maker.

Only reason Spaulding did not play as much is because of the politics surrounding Boone County Basketballs program. Here is a young man that was a spectator at the Senior East/West allstar game the West was short players ask Spaulding to play in which he ends up scoring 20+ points and being named the MVP for the West. This was not by luck he has always been more then capable of putting up these type of number but never really was giving the chance.So he was more than capable of being a difference maker.

Corey is a great kid and improved a lot in his senior season, especially with his decision making. Although he had a lot of difficulty from the 2 position hitting 3's and didn't have a lot of assists or steals, he was able to get a lot of mid-range jumpers and drive and proved he can be a scorer. Corey has never been one to shy from shooting, and his mid-range shots fell much better this year than in the past, although his shooting percentage was not better than several other players on Boone. The scoring capability can be said about several players on Boone's team. Politics are always involved. Certain players have the green light from the coaches, and others are on a short leash. This is true on a lot of teams.

You make some valid points, but really the truth is Holmes is the only squad from the 9th region that is a unanimous top ten team in the state.

I'll give you that. Holmes is the team to beat, and they deserve their accolades. Boone will be in the mix again and could get into the top 10 again.

Henry Clay could open some people's eyes this year. Probably not a top ten team but definitely could be a legitimate top 20 team. They took Lexington Catholic to the wire last year without their best player for basically the whole game. If they they rebound and gel together as a team then people might be in for a little surprise.

Henry Clay could open some people's eyes this year. Probably not a top ten team but definitely could be a legitimate top 20 team. They took Lexington Catholic to the wire last year without their best player for basically the whole game. If they they rebound and gel together as a team then people might be in for a little surprise.

Yes I agree with you. They definitly finished last year on a high note.

• 2 weeks later...