Gatlinburg

Big K 61

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We love the aquarium there. Really just experience the strip. Putt Putt is big there and of course the outlet malls. Apple Barn is a good restaurant. We actually stayed at an Econo Lodge that is very cheap but brand new, so its very nice and it has an indoor pool. We loved it. I personally don't like staying in the chalets, but only b/c our kids get car sick and you really have to drive windy roads to get to them.

Take a drive to Cades Cove, it is absolutely beautiful area and worth the extra time. Go to Pigeon Forge and eat at the Old Mill restaraunt, the are several very good places to eat in Gatlinburg/Pigeon Foge. Try the Log Cabin Pancake House in upper Gatlinburg for breakfast, will be one of if not the best breakfast that you have had (hint: Blackberry pancakes:thumb:). I am not onto all the shopping thing but a drive down Glades road thgrough the Smoky Mtn arts and crafts community is good. This is just a rural route that goes past shops, most of which are -peoples homes that do all different kinds of craft work (canes,Chairs, brooms, woodwork, leatherwork, candles, etc..). Very good quality and much cheaper than in the stores in downtown Gatlinburg.

Take a drive to Cades Cove, it is absolutely beautiful area and worth the extra time. Go to Pigeon Forge and eat at the Old Mill restaraunt, the are several very good places to eat in Gatlinburg/Pigeon Foge. Try the Log Cabin Pancake House in upper Gatlinburg for breakfast, will be one of if not the best breakfast that you have had (hint: Blackberry pancakes:thumb:). I am not onto all the shopping thing but a drive down Glades road thgrough the Smoky Mtn arts and crafts community is good. This is just a rural route that goes past shops, most of which are -peoples homes that do all different kinds of craft work (canes,Chairs, brooms, woodwork, leatherwork, candles, etc..). Very good quality and much cheaper than in the stores in downtown Gatlinburg.

Oh, yea on all of this. I would add the Bass Pro Shop - everything you can imagine and I have to always go to the largest scrapbook store anywhere.

Take a drive to Cades Cove, it is absolutely beautiful area and worth the extra time.

I have been there every time I have gone and on numerous visits I have gone 2-3 times. Up untill last year I always thought that there where no bears there. Than a Mama and 2 cubs! :thumb:

Most rental places have maps of various trails to walk. There are a variety of trails, some short and easy and some longer. The one we took led to a really cool waterfall.

I would recommend getting a chalet with a great view of the mountains. For the most part, I would stay out of downtown Gatlinburg....pretty junky.

If you kids like horseback riding, there is a place in the National Park that is nice and very reasonable. The guide takes you on some neat trails.

Lastly, be sure to bring steaks/meat to grill out. We could never find a good local store for grill outs. Havent been to Gatlinburg in a long time. Hope you enjoy it!

I think Oldrambler has given you great advice. Where you stay and sight see depends on the age group of the people going, and also if you are taking children. Check out Gatlinburg.com. Some people like to stay in town and some like a chalet or cabin.