January 2, 200917 yr I thought Clingman's Dome was awesome but I believe it's closed during the winter. We were talking about Gatlinburg this morning, and a friend of mine said the Mountain Lodge had an awesome breakfast menu.
January 2, 200917 yr Might be going in March or April for the first time also, are those two months very busy hotel and chalet-wise? You need to book a couple months in advance. You can get what you want that way.
January 2, 200917 yr Gattlinburg is fun to walk the streets if it isn't too cold. They have a lot of little money makers around there. Go see the fish. Pidgeon Fordge is a fun place in the summer. Lots of race tracks, putt putt, bumper boats etc for kids. Also arcades. Sevierville is loaded with outlet malls. There is an awesome Bass Pro Shop out by the interstate and a minor league baseball club there. The upside down house is supposed to be great but I haven't been. The Apple Barn is the best food there. Lots of overpriced crowded places but lots of fun places too!
January 2, 200917 yr Oh, yea on all of this. I would add the Bass Pro Shop - everything you can imagine and I have to always go to the largest scrapbook store anywhere. BPS woud go w/o saying for me. I haven't been there since they have put one in. I really didn't know they had a bass pro Shops, my wife would probably never see me on vacation if there was one in the area lol. Other things that I did not mention were some of the shows in Pigeon Forge. We loved the "Country Tonite" and "Dixie Stampede" (another great meal and dinner/theatre type). There are several good shows, all are "family friendly". Of course there is Dollywood, several good restaraunts there along with different attractions/shows/music. Have you noticed that I have mentioned "Food" alot? I do that part very well. .
January 2, 200917 yr Gattlinburg is fun to walk the streets if it isn't too cold. They have a lot of little money makers around there. Go see the fish. Pidgeon Fordge is a fun place in the summer. Lots of race tracks, putt putt, bumper boats etc for kids. Also arcades. Sevierville is loaded with outlet malls. There is an awesome Bass Pro Shop out by the interstate and a minor league baseball club there. The upside down house is supposed to be great but I haven't been. The Apple Barn is the best food there. Lots of overpriced crowded places but lots of fun places too! More "food" that I had forgot about, the Apple Barn is great.
January 2, 200917 yr We did Dixie Stampede. It was fun, but I thought it was very expensive. The kids liked it though.
January 2, 200917 yr We stayed at Bear Skin Lodge last summer. You can leave your car parked in the garage and walk everywhere downtown.
January 2, 200917 yr There is a great parking garage right as you enter Gatlinburg. Its right across the street from Hard Rock Cafe. It's very reasonably priced. You can walk every where and if you take the trolley while in the town, its very cheap and gets you where you need to go if you are hot or tired.
January 2, 200917 yr Dollywood, Dixie Stampede, Wonderworks, Richard Petty go cart track, Hillbilly Golf, Ripley's Aquarium.
January 2, 200917 yr Just got back yesterday from 5 days in Gatlinburg with the family. We took a short trip right after X-mas last year also. We rented out a very nice chalet and spent a lot of time inside watching movies, playing pool/ping pong, board games, and in the hot tub. Some great places we've eaten include: Alamo (awesome steakhouse!), Peddler (another awesome steakhouse, but I give the edge to Alamo), Apple Barn (it's in Pigeon Forge), Pancake Pantry (downtown Gatlinburg), and Best Italian Restaurant (also on strip in Gatlinburg, but you'll have to look for it - incredible pizza). Some ideas for entertainment: Really enjoyed the Magic Show with Terry Evanswood (in Pigeon Forge), Ripley's Believe It or Not (good, not great), Comedy Barn, Aquarium (great, but not as overwhelming after you've been to Newport Aquarium), Ober Gatlinburg (take tram up mountain and ice skate/ski/Alpine Slide at top), Go-Karts (Pigeon Forge), lots of little wedding chapels (I surprised my wife with a vows renewal ceremony last year and our teenage kids loved it!), and definitely go to the Knifeworks!! Been down to Gatlinburg many times and have never gone to Dollywood once! Also didn't go into the Park either time the past two years, but our chalet was high up and had an unbelievable view. BTW, I highly recommend Jackson Mountain Realty if you want a chalet. Used another company last year and were equally happy (tried to get same chalet this year, but it was booked), but can't think of the name right now.
January 2, 200917 yr Oldrambler, cooperstown and others have excellent suggestions. My guess is after going you will want to go back, I know I love the place. Here are some websites that may help you out. http://www.gatlinburg.com/ http://www.nps.gov/grsm/ http://www.great.smoky.mountains.national-park.com/ http://www.mysmokymountainvacation.com/
January 2, 200917 yr If not already open it will be soon is Wilderness Lodge. It is like the lodge here at Kings Island....indoor wave pool and the like. Wilderness Lodge is in Seiverville which is a short drive into PT and Gburg.
January 2, 200917 yr If not already open it will be soon is Wilderness Lodge. It is like the lodge here at Kings Island....indoor wave pool and the like. Wilderness Lodge is in Seiverville which is a short drive into PT and Gburg. It is open. We drove past it this past week. Unfortunately, to be able to use their pool you must stay at their place, which looks very nice. We prefer to stay in a chalet, so it didn't work out, but next year we may add a day on to our trip and stay a night there.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.