Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

2009 Highlands

Featured Replies

What positions do the younger Collinsworth and Hoge play. I guess it doesn't have a lot to do with 2009 but since someone brought it up.

  • Replies 432
  • Views 40.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I sort of see where you are coming from with why tinker with the success of the FTJFL. But the 3 years that I coached the 7th & 8th teams we managed to lose in the Semi's in 1989,Won the Championship in 1990 and lost in the Semi's again to a very talented Holmes team that should of ran the table in 95 but didn't.:D So I wouldn't say is was a complete failure at all. The only problem was, you had between 25-30 players per team and everyone wasn't going to play. Period!!! So, do I think the system is better now...Absolutely, but to say some of the coaches(Which one of them is Highlands current defensive Coordinator) pretty much didn't know what they were doing is completely false. I for one can tell you it was some of the best days of my life giving back to the kids of Ft Thomas. Time will pass and I have been asked several times to help coach by the current commish knowing my past coaching experience but I will have to wait a few more years until my 2 year old starts playing in the FTJFL.

 

I will preface this by mentioning that I did not have any youth involved during this period. Heck, I think I was officiating 5th & 6th with Willie Schlarmann Sr. and Mark King. Don't think I said some of the coaches pretty much did not know what they were doing... didn't even imply it. "I think the blame also falls on some of the coaches who took on more than they could handle... "

 

There were two teams, one fared pretty well and the other took quite a beating. The team that took its lumps was comprised mostly of 7th graders. And yes, 25 -30 participants is too many if the expectation is playing time. I will just say it stepped out of the philosphy of the Jr Football League. The mission purpose of instructional football. If it worked for you as a coach, that is great... but my feelings are it was not in the best interest for all the 7th and 8th grade youth of Ft Thomas who wanted to continue to participate in instructional football.

I will preface this by mentioning that I did not have any youth involved during this period. Heck, I think I was officiating 5th & 6th with Willie Schlarmann Sr. and Mark King. Don't think I said some of the coaches pretty much did not know what they were doing... didn't even imply it. "I think the blame also falls on some of the coaches who took on more than they could handle... "

 

There were two teams, one fared pretty well and the other took quite a beating. The team that took its lumps was comprised mostly of 7th graders. And yes, 25 -30 participants is too many if the expectation is playing time. I will just say it stepped out of the philosphy of the Jr Football League. The mission purpose of instructional football. If it worked for you as a coach, that is great... but my feelings are it was not in the best interest for all the 7th and 8th grade youth of Ft Thomas who wanted to continue to participate in instructional football.

 

Fair enough but i don' think it was a complete flop. And by the way, the teams were divided by territory as they are today with just as many 7th & 8th graders on both teams. They were not hand picked teams as some may assume. Just stating the facts

Fair enough but i don' think it was a complete flop. And by the way, the teams were divided by territory as they are today with just as many 7th & 8th graders on both teams. They were not hand picked teams as some may assume. Just stating the facts

 

10-4 on that one... I thought one was far more 8th grade oriented than the other...

 

The main thing... I hope the league is vibrant and healthy for you and your son to enjoy in the years to come! My boys enjoyed it and still talk about numerous experiences to this very day. Also, it sure helped with the number of rings in the household.

What positions do the younger Collinsworth and Hoge play. I guess it doesn't have a lot to do with 2009 but since someone brought it up.

 

Jac played RB I believe and Beu was also a RB but I could be wrong. Both solid athletes and if they work hard and commit themselves to the program they will be fun to watch. There are some very talented kids in the 6-8 classes and I fully expect these classes to carry on the tradition.

Jac played RB I believe and Beu was also a RB but I could be wrong. Both solid athletes and if they work hard and commit themselves to the program they will be fun to watch. There are some very talented kids in the 6-8 classes and I fully expect these classes to carry on the tradition.

 

I totally agree with you on this one. There are some real nice players that will be coming through the program in the next couple of years. The future looks bright in Ft Thomas...:thumb:

Who will be Bardo's backup next season at QB? New saw the most time in relief after Bardo this past season. Is he the guy?

I certainly am no expert, but I hope that New or some other sophomore is the backup. I like to have a two year gap between quarterbacks.

I certainly am no expert, but I hope that New or some other sophomore is the backup. I like to have a two year gap between quarterbacks.
I hope it's the next best at qb no matter a jr or soph.
I hope it's the next best at qb no matter a jr or soph.

 

Obviously that should always be the case. But the best case scenario for me (if feasible), is for a sophomore to be the backup next year.

You know...it must be really scary for other teams to chseck this site out and see our only "discussion" is back-ups!

 

Go Birds...Beat Colonels...all 4 of them!!

I certainly am no expert, but I hope that New or some other sophomore is the backup. I like to have a two year gap between quarterbacks.

 

If that can that work it is by far the best solution. I couldn't agree more with you. It helps a lot to have a younger guy watching and learning fram a senior.

I hope it's the next best at qb no matter a jr or soph.

 

Couldn't agree with you more... put the best behind Bardo at QB regardless of class. If it is a sophomore that is great for the long run. Unfortunately, there haven't been many sophomore QBs at HHS that are mentally / physically able to take the charge... It will be fun Spring Ball. That is for sure!

Who was the last Sophomore that started at QB for the Birds?

Who was the last Sophomore that started at QB for the Birds?

 

That's a question for someone like THUNDERBIRDS... He's the bluebird expert!

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.