Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

2009 Highlands

Featured Replies

In answer to the Public middle school league that Highlands participated in, Here are some facts:

 

Highlands entered the public Jr. High league after being unable to field more than 2-7th and 8th grade teams for at least 2-3 years. ( played out of league against teams from Boone County youth league.

 

The public jr. high league allowed Highlands to field 2 teams in their League.

 

The public jr. high league was started by Newport and Cov. Holmes and is very well run and may I add was surprisingly to me a very friendly league.

 

The 2 Highlands teams were initially split by talent evenly but in the later years was split mostly by which year they were in making one team predominately 8th grade and the other team predominately 7th grade. ( note: the first year this split was made the predominately 7th grade team was runnerup to the champion 8th grade team both from Highlands)

 

The participation by Highlands in this league was not a miserable failure, especially with the knowledge that the Ft. Thomas Jr. league was only fielding 2 teams anyway. The coaches were absolutely able to handle 2 teams.

 

A Highlands team won the league in both 92 and 93.

 

The future Highlands teams which participated in the Public Jr. High League had a pretty good record in the history of Highlands as follows:

 

1995 - State runnerups to Bowling Green

1996 - State Champions - Nationally rated and undefeated

1997 - Lost in the playoffs ( very good team Lost on muddy field)

1998 - State Champions - Undefeated Nationally ranked ( one of Highlands Best)

1999 - State Champions - 14-1 record only loss to Cincinnati Elder

 

In 1992 the two Highlands Middle School team played each other for the championship.

  • Replies 432
  • Views 40.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I would have to say it had something to do with Dale Mueller. Before Mueller came the interest in Football in Ft Thomas was a little down. I know, there's no way Football was down in Ft Thomas but it was true. Who in there right mind had any interest in playing youth football in Ft Thomas only to be torn apart within at the Varsity level. I can't even imagine what some of those kids went through playing for Tom Duffy. I have heard the stories because I have many close friends who played for him and have told me some of the antics he use to preach. Totally uncalled for and wasn't what Highlands Football stood for. Win or Lose, I would have to guess it wasn't what the powers to be were looking for in a Coach to lead their sons and football program into the future.

 

I don't want to get into the Duffy thing other than to say I agree with some of what you said and disagree with some of what you said. I had a nephew (my older sister's son) that cut the Duffy practice regime and my nephew was not what you would call the svelte, athletic type. If he could cut it, any kid that loved football could have made it if they really wanted to play football. Duffy had the mentality that there were football players that would do anything to play football and there were kids that just wanted to be on the football team (with whom he didn't want to spend time coaching). Totally different philosophy than Mueller's and I agree with Mueller.

 

As Blue Jacket pointed out, the major motivation for joining the public league was numbers. I was the President of the Jr. Football League at the time and remember clearly the rationale for joining the public league and fully supported the move (we really didn't have much choice unless we just wanted to have two teams in the league playing each other every game; not a practical alternative). I do agree with you and Blue Jacket that the participation in the public league was not a total failure; nothing close to it.

 

Having said that, when Mueller replaced Duffy, Mueller felt numbers in the 7/8 grades would improve and that we should move those kids back into the Jr. Football League for all the good reasons the League is such a success. Mueller was, once again, correct and we have seen a huge increase in 7/8 grade participation.

Simon Kenton would take the place of Holmes on the schedule, but prospects for the game aren't real good at this time. Highlands is interested; not sure about Simon Kenton.

 

I'd heard a rumor to the effect that Dale approached Simon Kenton, but it wasn't going to work out. I assume SK has a schedule conflict, which is a shame because playing Highlands would be a great playoff preparation game for SK. I also heard a rumor that Dale approached both Bell and Johnson Central, but hadn't heard back yet. Distance may play a role in them not wanting to agree to play Highlands at Highlands this year.

I don't want to get into the Duffy thing other than to say I agree with some of what you said and disagree with some of what you said. I had a nephew (my older sister's son) that cut the Duffy practice regime and my nephew was not what you would call the svelte, athletic type. If he could cut it, any kid that loved football could have made it if they really wanted to play football. Duffy had the mentality that there were football players that would do anything to play football and there were kids that just wanted to be on the football team (with whom he didn't want to spend time coaching). Totally different philosophy than Mueller's and I agree with Mueller.

 

As Blue Jacket pointed out, the major motivation for joining the public league was numbers. I was the President of the Jr. Football League at the time and remember clearly the rationale for joining the public league and fully supported the move (we really didn't have much choice unless we just wanted to have two teams in the league playing each other every game; not a practical alternative). I do agree with you and Blue Jacket that the participation in the public league was not a total failure; nothing close to it.

 

Having said that, when Mueller replaced Duffy, Mueller felt numbers in the 7/8 grades would improve and that we should move those kids back into the Jr. Football League for all the good reasons the League is such a success. Mueller was, once again, correct and we have seen a huge increase in 7/8 grade participation.

 

:dancingpa:lol:

I don't want to get into the Duffy thing other than to say I agree with some of what you said and disagree with some of what you said. I had a nephew (my older sister's son) that cut the Duffy practice regime and my nephew was not what you would call the svelte, athletic type. If he could cut it, any kid that loved football could have made it if they really wanted to play football. Duffy had the mentality that there were football players that would do anything to play football and there were kids that just wanted to be on the football team (with whom he didn't want to spend time coaching). Totally different philosophy than Mueller's and I agree with Mueller.

 

As Blue Jacket pointed out, the major motivation for joining the public league was numbers. I was the President of the Jr. Football League at the time and remember clearly the rationale for joining the public league and fully supported the move (we really didn't have much choice unless we just wanted to have two teams in the league playing each other every game; not a practical alternative). I do agree with you and Blue Jacket that the participation in the public league was not a total failure; nothing close to it.

 

Having said that, when Mueller replaced Duffy, Mueller felt numbers in the 7/8 grades would improve and that we should move those kids back into the Jr. Football League for all the good reasons the League is such a success. Mueller was, once again, correct and we have seen a huge increase in 7/8 grade participation.

 

:isurrender:

I don't want to get into the Duffy thing other than to say I agree with some of what you said and disagree with some of what you said. I had a nephew (my older sister's son) that cut the Duffy practice regime and my nephew was not what you would call the svelte, athletic type. If he could cut it, any kid that loved football could have made it if they really wanted to play football. Duffy had the mentality that there were football players that would do anything to play football and there were kids that just wanted to be on the football team (with whom he didn't want to spend time coaching). Totally different philosophy than Mueller's and I agree with Mueller.

 

As Blue Jacket pointed out, the major motivation for joining the public league was numbers. I was the President of the Jr. Football League at the time and remember clearly the rationale for joining the public league and fully supported the move (we really didn't have much choice unless we just wanted to have two teams in the league playing each other every game; not a practical alternative). I do agree with you and Blue Jacket that the participation in the public league was not a total failure; nothing close to it.

 

Having said that, when Mueller replaced Duffy, Mueller felt numbers in the 7/8 grades would improve and that we should move those kids back into the Jr. Football League for all the good reasons the League is such a success. Mueller was, once again, correct and we have seen a huge increase in 7/8 grade participation.

 

Yeah that would be a good idea b/c he got into alot of things when he was around......:sssh:

Yeah that would be a good idea b/c he got into alot of things when he was around......:sssh:

 

Now that's funny I don't care who you are...:clap::clap:

Now that's funny I don't care who you are...:clap::clap:

I don't get it. Can someone please explain?

I heard the other day that the boys were working extremely hard in the weight room. Should be a fun spring.

Is everybody healthy right now other than Roller and Schlosser. How are those two progressing?

Is everybody healthy right now other than Roller and Schlosser. How are those two progressing?

 

I did see where Brandon Roller is out of his brace. It sounds like he is coming along just fine.

Is everybody healthy right now other than Roller and Schlosser. How are those two progressing?

 

Both are doing great. Both should be able to begin running in about two weeks.

Both are doing great. Both should be able to begin running in about two weeks.

 

That's great news.....

Those two are going to be a force this season. Can't see anyone stopping the birds this year. This is going to be Dales best team ever!!!!!

Are we going to see Schlosser on the defensive side of the line this year? Dempsey took a step on the D side and rang up a solid performance... who is pegged going both ways?

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.