2009 Highlands

Ram

• Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wasn't Cecil (not from 2007 but his older brother) a sophmore starter at QB?

I think you are talking about Chase Cecil in 2003 and I do believe he started as a sophmore. Before that, I am thinking Duffer Duffy in 1993. Those were becoming the trial and error years though. Jared would of been my starting QB as a soph, but as some have stated that until Perry Jason Sauer did something wrong, why fix something that isn't broke.

Perry Jason Sauer beat him out fair and square' date=' plus Frisk didn't care who the qb was he was getting the ball every play. The only thing that would have changed is[b'] Frisk's passing yards would have went down. [/b]

We need football season to start!

Rumor has it that Frisk use to be able to out throw the young gun Lorenzen in practice. I think even on one leg....:laugh: That must of been a sight to see watching Justin teach the young Grasshopper a thing or 2.:popcorn:

Perry Jason Sauer beat him out fair and square, plus Frisk didn't care who the qb was he was getting the ball every play. The only thing that would have changed is Frisk's passing yards would have went down.

We need football season to start!

I think Frisk had more passing yards than Perry. When you have Frisk and Lickert in the backfield anyone could have played qb.

Rumor has it that Frisk use to be able to out throw the young gun Lorenzen in practice. I think even on one leg....:laugh: That must of been a sight to see watching Justin teach the young Grasshopper a thing or 2.:popcorn:

He could out throw Jared left handed.

He had to learn from someone, rumor has it he was right handed before he came to Highlands. After seeing they way #3 and Uncle Gary did things, he felt that it was better to switch over to left handed.:laugh::laugh:

I heard he wanted to make sure he did everything the complete opposite of the way things were. That is true about Justin he had the better arm and the better touch.

In answer to the Public middle school league that Highlands participated in, Here are some facts:

Highlands entered the public Jr. High league after being unable to field more than 2-7th and 8th grade teams for at least 2-3 years. ( played out of league against teams from Boone County youth league.

The public jr. high league allowed Highlands to field 2 teams in their League.

The public jr. high league was started by Newport and Cov. Holmes and is very well run and may I add was surprisingly to me a very friendly league.

The 2 Highlands teams were initially split by talent evenly but in the later years was split mostly by which year they were in making one team predominately 8th grade and the other team predominately 7th grade. ( note: the first year this split was made the predominately 7th grade team was runnerup to the champion 8th grade team both from Highlands)

The participation by Highlands in this league was not a miserable failure, especially with the knowledge that the Ft. Thomas Jr. league was only fielding 2 teams anyway. The coaches were absolutely able to handle 2 teams.

A Highlands team won the league in both 92 and 93.

The future Highlands teams which participated in the Public Jr. High League had a pretty good record in the history of Highlands as follows:

1995 - State runnerups to Bowling Green

1996 - State Champions - Nationally rated and undefeated

1997 - Lost in the playoffs ( very good team Lost on muddy field)

1998 - State Champions - Undefeated Nationally ranked ( one of Highlands Best)

1999 - State Champions - 14-1 record only loss to Cincinnati Elder

In answer to the Public middle school league that Highlands participated in, Here are some facts:

Highlands entered the public Jr. High league after being unable to field more than 2-7th and 8th grade teams for at least 2-3 years. ( played out of league against teams from Boone County youth league.

The public jr. high league was started by Newport and Cov. Holmes and is very well run and may I add was surprisingly to me a very friendly league.

The 2 Highlands teams were initially split by talent evenly but in the later years was split mostly by which year they were in making one team predominately 8th grade and the other team predominately 7th grade. ( note: the first year this split was made the predominately 7th grade team was runnerup to the champion 8th grade team both from Highlands)

The participation by Highlands in this league was not a miserable failure, especially with the knowledge that the Ft. Thomas Jr. league was only fielding 2 teams anyway. The coaches were absolutely able to handle 2 teams.

The future Highlands teams which participated in the Public Jr. High League had a pretty good record in the history of Highlands as follows:

Great details...

With all the sucess in terms of wins, why did the 7th 8th grade team leave the Public Jr High League?

This might of been the case but in 89,90 and 91 the teams were split by territory and had an even number of 7th and 8th graders. As I have said in a previous post that our team respectively finished top 4 all 3 years and winning it in 1990. My last year of coaching was in 91 on the North side where Matthew Mason was the tailback. These were some of the best days of my life coaching future State Champions.

Great details...

With all the sucess in terms of wins, why did the 7th 8th grade team leave the Public Jr High League?

I would have to say it had something to do with Dale Mueller. Before Mueller came the interest in Football in Ft Thomas was a little down. I know, there's no way Football was down in Ft Thomas but it was true. Who in there right mind had any interest in playing youth football in Ft Thomas only to be torn apart within at the Varsity level. I can't even imagine what some of those kids went through playing for Tom Duffy. I have heard the stories because I have many close friends who played for him and have told me some of the antics he use to preach. Totally uncalled for and wasn't what Highlands Football stood for. Win or Lose, I would have to guess it wasn't what the powers to be were looking for in a Coach to lead their sons and football program into the future.