Gunner Gillespie passes away ...

Gunner Gillespie, the 8-year-old son of Marshall County coach Gus Gillespie, died Thursday afternoon after battling an inoperable brain tumor for nearly a year. Gunner was diagnosed with the tumor on Nov. 30 of last year, just as the basketball season was starting.

It's been a rough year for Marshall County, which has opened their arms to the Gillespies. Thousands of dollars have been raised to offset medical costs both in western Kentucky and in southern Illinois, where the Gillespie family is originally from.

It's a very sad day for all of us in western Kentucky ...

Can remember this last season when Rose Hill played there and everyone wore t-shirts in support of the coach and his son. I can't say how sorry I am for that loss. I will definitely hug my boys a bit tighter this evening and offer up a prayer on behalf of this family. May God Bless them in this unbelievably difficult time.

It has been a very hard time for the family. I can't even imagine what they have gone through over the past 11 months.

Gunner became part of everyone's life in WKY and S. ILL through the caring bridge website. I read about Gunner on a daily basis to keep up with his conditions.

He will be greatly missed and prayers go out to Gus, Janna, and Garlynn.

As someone that calls the ballgames here in western Kentucky I have had the chance on several occasions to speak with Coach Gillespie and even though all that he has been through still took the time out to speak with me and all other media on basketball or the condition of Gunner. Our thoughts and prayers go out to Coach Gillespie, his wife Janna and their daughter Garlynn during this difficult time, but they know that Gunner is at peace now and feels no pain in heaven. They have showed so much courage and been such an inspiration to everyone here in western Kentucky.

God Bless the Gillespie family and all the Marshall County extended family.

And in the immortal words of Gunner Gillespie:

"I think I can, I think I can"