ESPN's Top 50 College Basketball Programs Since 84-85

GO CATS

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got this article this morning as I came into work...Murray State is ranked #30 on the list...congrats to the Racers!!!

Here is the article from MSU:

ESPN LIST OF ALL-TIME BEST COLLEGE BASKETBALL PROGRAMS

July 24, 2008 -- As ESPN started to unveil their list of the best college basketball programs on Monday, Murray State fans anxiously waited to see where the Racers would be found.

The excitement peaked on Wednesday when MSU was named 30th on ESPN’s list.

To calculate the list, ESPN came up with a numerical points system to rank every college hoops program's success since the start of the 1984-85 season -- the season when the NCAA tournament expanded to 64 teams. Point values were assigned to criteria including, conference regular season titles, conference tournament titles, and winning percentage.

The Racers’ high consideration from ESPN is well deserved.

Murray State earned points for their 24 Ohio Valley Conference titles (13 regular-season and 11 tournament), and 12 20-win seasons. MSU also has 11 appearances in the NCAA Tournament, including a win over North Carolina State in 1988. The Racers won a tiebreaker with Villanova for 30th place by having a better winning percentage,.669-.608.

The Racers were ranked ahead of Villanova (31), Oklahoma State (32), Georgia Tech (33), Penn (34), Alabama (35), St. John’s (36), and Missouri (37), and just behind Purdue (29), Maryland (28), Ohio State (27), Gonzaga (26), and Stanford (25).

“Obviously, it’s very exciting,” MSU Head Coach Billy Kennedy said. “It’s a great credit to the former coaches, the Murray community and the great players that have come through the program. I’m thankful to be part of it and plan on building on that tradition.”

“Being ranked no. 30, the highest true mid-major, is quite a distinction and speaks volumes about the success Murray State basketball has experienced over the past 25 years,” said Director of Athletics Allen Ward. “It’s a testament to the never-ending support of our incredible fans and the outstanding coaches and players responsible for the championship banners hanging from the rafters, this is just another validation that Racer basketball ranks with the very best.”

This isn’t the first time the Racers have been mentioned as one of college basketball’s best programs. In 2005, Street & Smith’s selected MSU 52nd in their list of “100 Greatest College Basketball Programs of All Time.”

The future looks bright for MSU as the 2008-09 season approaches. The Racers return four starters from the 2007-08 team that finished 18-13 and for the second straight season were second in the OVC at 13-7.

Last season the Racers pulled off a rare “grand slam” of stats when they were the only team in the nation (in conference play) to lead their league in field goal percentage, three-point percentage, and in defense of both. The Racers also raised their free throw percentage for a third straight season, and lowered their turnover total and improved their assist total.

The Racers will also be working on completing their 22nd straight winning season in 2008-09. MSU’s 21-year streak is tied with Connecticut for fifth-best in the nation.

The remaining teams:

ACC: Duke, North Carolina

Big 12: Kansas

Big East: Georgetown, Connecticut, Syracuse

Mountain West: UNLV

Pac-10: Arizona, UCLA

SEC: Kentucky

I really did not expect UNLV to make the top 10. That early success really carried them.

UNLV is the biggest surprise being in the top 10. I know they were good for several years, but they have basically been irrelevant since what 1993? Thats a big surprise. I don't believe there was ever any doubt who the top 4 would be.

I'm with you. I thought they'd be pretty high, but not quite in the top 10.