ESPN's Top 50 College Basketball Programs Since 84-85

GO CATS

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're not paying attention to what I've been saying. Historically, UK has dominated the SEC. The league got a lot better in the '90s. Since then, UK's dominance has declined.

It's not a weak conference any more, but historically it has been a one-trick pony, with an occasional second banana stepping up and having a good year (think LSU's FF teams in the '80s), but none of them able to sustain it long-term the way UK has.

UK was pretty dominant in the 90's IIRC, and you can't argue that the SEC wasn't tough then.

Since then there's definitely been a decline, but I think thats more coaching related than competition related.

UK was pretty dominant in the 90's IIRC, and you can't argue that the SEC wasn't tough then.

Since then there's definitely been a decline, but I think thats more coaching related than competition related.

What the heck is IIRC?

Are you really trying to tell me that Arkansas' good teams in the '90s didn't upgrade the overall level of play in the conference? I know you want to lay sole blame for the decline on Tubby, and he does bear some of the responsibility, but you guys conveniently overlook the fact that the rest of the conference only began really taking basketball seriously in the '90s. The other SEC dregs finally getting their act together also played a big part in the decline.

Are you really trying to tell me that Arkansas' good teams in the '90s didn't upgrade the overall level of play in the conference? I know you want to lay sole blame for the decline on Tubby, and he does bear some of the responsibility, but you guys conveniently overlook the fact that the rest of the conference only began really taking basketball seriously in the '90s. The other SEC dregs finally getting their act together also played a big part in the decline.

Kentucky has had an undefeated in-conference team this decade and almost had a couple. UK has been pretty dominant in the SEC all and all until these last 3 seasons. Actually last season UK was awfully good in the conference and fell to the SEC champ in overtime.

Kentucky has had an undefeated in-conference team this decade and almost had a couple. UK has been pretty dominant in the SEC all and all until these last 3 seasons. Actually last season UK was awfully good in the conference and fell to the SEC champ in overtime.

Which really goes to show that the rest of the SEC hasn't totally gotten its act together when it comes to basketball, making the correlation between UC and UK that much more similar. Thanks for proving my point! :thumb:

Which really goes to show that the rest of the SEC hasn't totally gotten its act together when it comes to basketball, making the correlation between UC and UK that much more similar. Thanks for proving my point! :thumb:

Surely your not comparing what Cinncinatti did during the 90s to what Kentucky did in the 90s. There is simply no comparison. UK is on the Mr. Rushmore of college basketball teams while Cinncinatti is probably not even a top 20 program for this particular study.

Surely your not comparing what Cinncinatti did during the 90s to what Kentucky did in the 90s. There is simply no comparison. UK is on the Mr. Rushmore of college basketball teams while Cinncinatti is probably not even a top 20 program for this particular study.

You guys need to work on your reading comprehension; or don't look at who wrote it so much as what was written.

I said that UK's dominance over the SEC and current slip is similar to how UC dominated its conferences until recently. Except, as I noted, UK did it for a lot longer.

No, but I'm saying UK dominated the SEC AFTER Arkansas raised the level of play, so you can't say that UK dominated a weak conference. Thanks for proving MY point.