OK I need to vent about this.

All Tell

I've tried several different meds, both OTC and prescription, and nothing works as well for me as Clariten D.

IMVHO this is just another example of a well meaning government program having untoward effects. Since there is no alternative if the computer in the store says "NO SUDAFED FOR YOU" the very least the state could do is have a 24/7 line you could call to try to eliminate the issue.

Have you tried Benadryl Severe Allergy?

In the past I have used Clariten, Zyrtec, and Singulair (prescription), but nothing has worked as good as this Benadryl Severe Allergy.

If you do try it, make sure you get the "severe" allergy type...they have a "regular" allergy kind but it's not as good. Plus, I don't think Benadryl Sev. Allergy containes any pseudo-ephedrine.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So what does a single parent do when they use Clariten D (or other controlled OTC medicine) and so does a minor child? They've been told they are over the monthly limit by a couple of pills.

If they won't let you buy it, just put it in your pocket and walk out:fire:

I have terrible seasonal allergies and am usually on more than one medication. An allergy pill, nose spray, and eye drops (yeah, they get that bad).

However, I've never had this problem.

I used to use Clariten for two or three years, but just this past spring I switched to Zyrtec. Well Zyrtec wasn't doing crap, so I switched to Benadryl Severe Allergy and I swear it's the best stuff I've ever taken. Clears me up in 30 minutes and I'm good for 24 hours.

How do they monitor this program? I can see how it'd be easy if you were using your credit/debit card all the time, but couldn't you just buy it with cash? How would they track it?

I don't know about other pharmacies, but at Walgreens we have a log in the cash register where we type in their drivers license number and it keeps track of each customer that way.

Have you tried Benadryl Severe Allergy?

In the past I have used Clariten, Zyrtec, and Singulair (prescription), but nothing has worked as good as this Benadryl Severe Allergy.

If you do try it, make sure you get the "severe" allergy type...they have a "regular" allergy kind but it's not as good. Plus, I don't think Benadryl Sev. Allergy containes any pseudo-ephedrine.

The only problem with benadryl is that it causes drowsiness to many people, fortunately I can take it without a problem like you and it clears me up just fine, but for a good majority of people it will knock them out quick.

I haven't had the problem you are having with cold medicine, but I did have a similar issue when my twins were babies. They were on 2 different formulas that had to be ordered in bulk at Wal-Mart. Each time we went to order it or to pick it up, we had to show proof that we had babies to get it. Apparently it was being used as a cutting agent for Meth, and they were monitering how much formula people were buying. I couldn't believe it.

Sudafed is in many RX meds only. It's just like Motrin or Ibuprofen, smaller strengths are OTC and if you get the larger strenghts there RX. There have been many mobile meth labs found in KY over the past 5 years, particulary eastern KY. It's a good law, almost all states adopt it. There are a few western states that sell it RX only which is really inconvienent. You shouldnt be taking a lot of Sudafed per day anyway, it really inflates your blood pressure.

I have terrible seasonal allergies and am usually on more than one medication. An allergy pill, nose spray, and eye drops (yeah, they get that bad).

However, I've never had this problem.

I used to use Clariten for two or three years, but just this past spring I switched to Zyrtec. Well Zyrtec wasn't doing crap, so I switched to Benadryl Severe Allergy and I swear it's the best stuff I've ever taken. Clears me up in 30 minutes and I'm good for 24 hours.

How do they monitor this program? I can see how it'd be easy if you were using your credit/debit card all the time, but couldn't you just buy it with cash? How would they track it?

Every time you purchase it you have to give them your ID and they enter the information into a computer. That data base is then what's used to determine if you can have the medicine you need.

The bottom line is that I shouldn't have to change a medication that works for me, nor should I have to be inconvenienced for even a day. As I type this I sit sniffing because my nose is stopped up and my eyes are watering. It is still a legal product and I am legally using it. Those of you that work in pharmacies answer this for me. Since the program has gone into effect how often is Clariten D offered on sale? It used to be quite often but I don't remember it so much now. To the person that was on the task force. Was the fact that it is still a legal product and that there are many people that legally use it even discussed? Were the potential downsides even considered or was this just another example of BIG BROTHER doing what he felt was best without considering the effects it would have on people who use this product legally?

Final question, how many new jobs did this program create on the state payrolls?

If they won't let you buy it, just put it in your pocket and walk out:fire:

Good plan except for two things.

1) The meds are kept behind the counter in a controlled area with no customer access.

2) I put people that do this in jail every day :D

Every time you purchase it you have to give them your ID and they enter the information into a computer. That data base is then what's used to determine if you can have the medicine you need.

The bottom line is that I shouldn't have to change a medication that works for me, nor should I have to be inconvenienced for even a day. As I type this I sit sniffing because my nose is stopped up and my eyes are watering. It is still a legal product and I am legally using it. Those of you that work in pharmacies answer this for me. Since the program has gone into effect how often is Clariten D offered on sale? It used to be quite often but I don't remember it so much now. To the person that was on the task force. Was the fact that it is still a legal product and that there are many people that legally use it even discussed? Were the potential downsides even considered or was this just another example of BIG BROTHER doing what he felt was best without considering the effects it would have on people who use this product legally?

Final question, how many new jobs did this program create on the state payrolls?

Don't blame the Pharmacies for this ,blame the lowlifes who cook and use meth . So what if the program created new jobs Meth has to be taken off the streets and if this makes it harder to buy products with psuedo-ephedrine so be it . Go buy more Kleenex .

I've tried several different meds, both OTC and prescription, and nothing works as well for me as Clariten D.

IMVHO this is just another example of a well meaning government program having untoward effects. Since there is no alternative if the computer in the store says "NO SUDAFED FOR YOU" the very least the state could do is have a 24/7 line you could call to try to eliminate the issue.

And this would create more state jobs .

Don't blame the Pharmacies for this ,blame the lowlifes who cook and use meth . So what if the program created new jobs Meth has to be taken off the streets and if this makes it harder to buy products with psuedo-ephedrine so be it . Go buy more Kleenex .

I don't blame the pharmacies, in fact I'm very sympathetic to them because they are the ones who have to deal with people like me who aren't happy that they can't get the LEAGL OTC medications that they need.

Has Meth been taken off the streets? If there's anyone to blame it's the pencil pushers that got this thing passed in the first place.

I spoke with a woman in the state agency today and she implied that they KNOW that some people will not be able to get enough medication for everyday with the restrictions that are in place. How is that in any way shape or form right?

I have been working in the pharmacy at Walgreens for some years now. The best thing to do to avoid the problem is get your doctor to write a prescription for claritin-d, zyrtec-d, etc. When gone about that way you can get your full month supply at one time without having to worry about signing the log and sometimes your insurance will even pay for a portion of it. Besides that there is really not much you can do because of the limit of grams of pseudoephedrine that can be purchases in a day/month. You can buy exactly enough to last one person for a month but you would have to come back two times because of the limit per day. Yes it is a very stressful situation for the both of us. :thumb:

Only problem with your solution is that I believe the Dr. will have to see you in order to write the prescription. If true, that means an unnecessary doctor visit cost being charged to the health insurance company. Doctor's happy; but when these unnecessary health costs cause my health insurance premiums to go up, I'm not.