OK I need to vent about this.

All Tell

I just got home from Kroger's after TRYING to buy a box of Clariten D. I have bad seasonal allergies and need it to breathe well.

Now we all know that there is a Meth problem and many people know that pseudo-ephedrine (Sudafed), the decongestant in the aforementioned allergy medication, is the main constituant of Meth. In order to make it more difficult to obtain you now have a process to go through to get Sudafed so that the state can monitor how much you purchase and limit it to a certain amount at any time.

Any how, I TRIED to get this medication today because I am out and was told I had exceeded my gram limitation. No word on when I made the purchase that exceeded my limit or when I could buy more. All I got in way of explanation was a slip with a phone number for the state agency that runs the "Meth Check" program. I tried to call BUT it was after 4:30 so their office was closed. No answer, no medicine no breathing.

Now I'm all for helping eliminate Meth but this program is overkill. The logical answer would be to just make Sudafed a prescription medication again but since the government is involved logic is the last thing to expect.

Has anyone else had trouble getting this LEGAL medication?

OK venting over. I've got to go blow my nose.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My son takes this medication...or used to. You can not get it one day eary either. This has been a problem so he ended up switching medications. He is using the same one I do...it is a over the counter one found at Wal-mart...generic...works great for us.

I just got home from Kroger's after TRYING to buy a box of Clariten D. I have bad seasonal allergies and need it to breathe well.

Now we all know that there is a Meth problem and many people know that pseudo-ephedrine (Sudafed), the decongestant in the aforementioned allergy medication, is the main constituant of Meth. In order to make it more difficult to obtain you now have a process to go through to get Sudafed so that the state can monitor how much you purchase and limit it to a certain amount at any time.

Any how, I TRIED to get this medication today because I am out and was told I had exceeded my gram limitation. No word on when I made the purchase that exceeded my limit or when I could buy more. All I got in way of explanation was a slip with a phone number for the state agency that runs the "Meth Check" program. I tried to call BUT it was after 4:30 so their office was closed. No answer, no medicine no breathing.

Now I'm all for helping eliminate Meth but this program is overkill. The logical answer would be to just make Sudafed a prescription medication again but since the government is involved logic is the last thing to expect.

Has anyone else had trouble getting this LEGAL medication?

OK venting over. I've got to go blow my nose.

I understand your pain and have nasty summer allergies, myself. A month of hacking, coughing and being miserable.

I'm like GS, taking some generic medicine, when my prescription is out. I've also found, that some other medications, even "severe cold" can help relieve some of the allergy problems.

Can anyone else in your house buy it for you? I did this once at Kroger's when we had a coupon for Clariten D and the coupon required 2 boxes be purchased. (this was over the limit for 1 person to purchase and we had to show 2 driver's license). I don't use this medicine, but someone in my house does.

I've tried several different meds, both OTC and prescription, and nothing works as well for me as Clariten D.

IMVHO this is just another example of a well meaning government program having untoward effects. Since there is no alternative if the computer in the store says "NO SUDAFED FOR YOU" the very least the state could do is have a 24/7 line you could call to try to eliminate the issue.

I worked for a week, before my surgery, as a Pharmacy Tech and I loved it, but the thing I hated was the process for people to buy this stuff. They have to show their driver's license and sign a statement and even though I understood why this had to be done I didn't like it. I always felt bad for them because I thought it made them look like drug addicts.

So what does a single parent do when they use Clariten D (or other controlled OTC medicine) and so does a minor child? They've been told they are over the monthly limit by a couple of pills.

Sorry - I didn't work there long enough to have an answer to your question.

I have been working in the pharmacy at Walgreens for some years now. The best thing to do to avoid the problem is get your doctor to write a prescription for claritin-d, zyrtec-d, etc. When gone about that way you can get your full month supply at one time without having to worry about signing the log and sometimes your insurance will even pay for a portion of it. Besides that there is really not much you can do because of the limit of grams of pseudoephedrine that can be purchases in a day/month. You can buy exactly enough to last one person for a month but you would have to come back two times because of the limit per day. Yes it is a very stressful situation for the both of us. :thumb:

Its amazing what you have to show I.D to buy. I go to Walmart looking very very very sick. Runny nose, coughing, the works. I forget my I.D....no Nyquil!
No, you can still get your Nyquil. You just can't get items with sudafedrine. I have worked with the local drug task force on this some. A box of 10 pills can go for anywhere from $25-$50 on the street. I have pulled video of a car load of people going to a store and all 5 going into the store to buy the cheapest box of Sudafed they can get each. They then will sell or trade them to a dealer for finished Meth.

While it is an inconvenience to those that really need it, the limits have dramatically cut the supply locally. Most Meth is having to be imported from other states or countries. While Meth is still a problem, there are many less labs being found since the restrictions have been put in place.

I have been working in the pharmacy at Walgreens for some years now. The best thing to do to avoid the problem is get your doctor to write a prescription for claritin-d, zyrtec-d, etc. When gone about that way you can get your full month supply at one time without having to worry about signing the log and sometimes your insurance will even pay for a portion of it. Besides that there is really not much you can do because of the limit of grams of pseudoephedrine that can be purchases in a day/month. You can buy exactly enough to last one person for a month but you would have to come back two times because of the limit per day. Yes it is a very stressful situation for the both of us. :thumb:

I only did it a few times and one time I couldn't let this man have any and he was less than pleasant. So yes it is a very stressful situation for all concerned.

Yes I have had my fair share of unpatient/unpleasant customers but I'm use to that by now working back in the pharmacy, actually dealt with a handful today but as the poster after me mentioned it is for the best and there is very good reasoning behind it.

Yes I have had my fair share of unpatient/unpleasant customers but I'm use to that by now working back in the pharmacy, actually dealt with a handful today but as the poster after me mentioned it is for the best and .

:thumb::thumb:

I have terrible seasonal allergies and am usually on more than one medication. An allergy pill, nose spray, and eye drops (yeah, they get that bad).

However, I've never had this problem.

I used to use Clariten for two or three years, but just this past spring I switched to Zyrtec. Well Zyrtec wasn't doing crap, so I switched to Benadryl Severe Allergy and I swear it's the best stuff I've ever taken. Clears me up in 30 minutes and I'm good for 24 hours.

How do they monitor this program? I can see how it'd be easy if you were using your credit/debit card all the time, but couldn't you just buy it with cash? How would they track it?