Obama's outreach to Christian voters

Emotional? How about right vs wrong?

There are other, far more effective ways of addressing the abortion crisis than having the POTUS worrying about it. I simply think the POTUS has bigger fish to fry.

Let it be addressed on the local, grass-roots level by helping churches, schools and local public health agencies coordinate to tackle it.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why does abortion only REALLY matter to less than one-fifth of Americans? That is, less than 1 in 5 say there is NEVER a good reason to abort. More than 4 in 5 say it is acceptable if the reason is good enough. And nearly 3 in 10 say ANY excuse is good enough to abort. In short, most Americans don't passionately give a rat's tail. They would rather you tell them how you are gonna put money in their pockets and gas in their cars. You show 83% of Americans the money and they won't care when, where, or how many you abort. Just the truth, folks.
It likely is the truth, and that is just sad.

There are other, far more effective ways of addressing the abortion crisis than having the POTUS worrying about it. I simply think the POTUS has bigger fish to fry.

Let it be addressed on the local, grass-roots level by helping churches, schools and local public health agencies coordinate to tackle it.

We'll agree to disagree on this issue, Jim.

We'll agree to disagree on this issue, Jim.

Then answer the question: Why does the Prez need to be worrying about something that can be capably handled through education, prevention and adoption services at the local level? Shouldn't he be more concerned about running the country?

Then answer the question: Why does the Prez need to be worrying about something that can be capably handled through education, prevention and adoption services at the local level? Shouldn't he be more concerned about running the country?
How is it going to get taken care of at a local level when the Supreme Court says it's OK to kill unborn babies?

I cannot understand how people who are opposed to abortion can support a candidate who once facilitated infanticide by allowing medical facilities to withhold medical treatment to babies who survived abortions and were born alive. If a man would go to that extreme based on the flimsy argument that prohibiting such a practice might help eventually reverse Roe v. Wade, there is almost zero chance that he will not act proactively to make abortion more affordable, more available, and with less restrictions.

Correct me if I am wrong but I've read several studys that say countrys who have legalized abortions have more deaths that are abortion realated (meaning both the child and the mother) than countries who have made abortion illeagel! I personally think our country is better off if we allow te government to conduct abortion than some woman with a coat hanger in a back ally!

Why does abortion only REALLY matter to less than one-fifth of Americans? That is, less than 1 in 5 say there is NEVER a good reason to abort. More than 4 in 5 say it is acceptable if the reason is good enough. And nearly 3 in 10 say ANY excuse is good enough to abort. In short, most Americans don't passionately give a rat's tail. They would rather you tell them how you are gonna put money in their pockets and gas in their cars. You show 83% of Americans the money and they won't care when, where, or how many you abort. Just the truth, folks.

First of all, I do find one (and only one) reason acceptable to abort, so I guess that knocks me out of a category. Secondly, I don't believe your numbers, but I could be wrong. Finally, even if your numbers are correct, should I abandon what I believe because I am in the minority?

You are right that people want to see the money; I just don't know what it has to do with my post.

Correct me if I am wrong but I've read several studys that say countrys who have legalized abortions have more deaths that are abortion realated (meaning both the child and the mother) than countries who have made abortion illeagel! I personally think our country is better off if we allow te government to conduct abortion than some woman with a coat hanger in a back ally!
I assume you have legalized and illegalized mixed up there? And if you could find it, I'd be very interested for another thread, or a link to those studies (I actually want to read it).

American's always seem to be hoodwinked. They elected Dubya for two terms.

That was more because of the two horrible Democrat candidates that were presented to the American public and the Gay Marriage amendments across the country than it was because of Dubya.

Not knocking it, not being controversial, just curious. Acemona, what type of Baptist church has women deacons?

Come to Virginia and you will see plenty. I've pastored two here.

BTW, one of those was founded in 1774 so it's been doing the Baptist thing before it was legal in VA.

Come to Virginia and you will see plenty. I've pastored two here.

BTW, one of those was founded in 1774 so it's been doing the Baptist thing before it was legal in VA.

That's one of the cool things about Baptists, we're all different. As I said, I have no problem with it, just never seen one in a Baptist Church although I have seen women who do more than the Deacons but without the title. I also noticed that even in churches who frown on women in leadership positions, when no man can be found to lead the choir or a committee they seem to have no problem allowing a woman to do it until a man can be persuaded. But I'm not knocking that either. Some of our rules are amusing and steeped more in tradition than in teaching but it's still a wonderful church with great people. If they get a bit hypocritical or set in their ways at times, well, God love 'em anyway. I wish the people who preach tolerance of other viewpoints would extend that same tolerance to these people to practice what they believe. Did that make sense?

I didn't say it was a reason. You glossed over my very first point.

And while mine is a very cold way of looking at it, you can't deny that those extra people would put extreme stress on an already overpopulated world. We're already short on oil. Water has historically been a justification for people to go to war; we have our own shortages here, let alone the Middle Eastern desert. Wars happen all the time over resources as well as religious and idealogical differences; it's just an unfortunate fact of life.

I just try to avoid looking at abortion from an emotional standpoint when assessing the big picture.

Just a hunch; most of those "extra people" would become Democrats...

Sorry RM, it has nothing to do with thinking I know you better than you do yourself. It has more to do with the vast, vast majority of your posts that makes me doubt that you were really ever on the fence. Toyed with the idea, maybe, but on the fence? I just have my doubts.

Sorry, RTS and oldrambler...but again, you are both making assumptions, and think you know me better than myself. As I said before, that doesn't surprise me, and that has to do with the vast majority of your posts. There are several others I'd throw in there too. But, as you both made sure to have a chuckle at my expense, then you are the two I'll mention.

Sorry, RTS and oldrambler...but again, you are both making assumptions, and think you know me better than myself. As I said before, that doesn't surprise me, and that has to do with the vast majority of your posts. There are several others I'd throw in there too. But, as you both made sure to have a chuckle at my expense, then you are the two I'll mention.

Just having some fun RM :p, don't get all upset . The only way that I can post at all in this forum is to not take anything too seriously, sorry if that offended you.:thumb: