Obama's outreach to Christian voters

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have trouble with a man who has to hire a consultant to tell us how faithful he is.

Matthew 5:16

In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven.

Matthew 5:36

Simply let your 'Yes' be 'Yes,' and your 'No,' 'No'; anything beyond this comes from the evil one.

It would be hard to dispute the label as a generalization. We, as a group, do not abide by the teachings of the Church 100% of the time. Know any Catholics that use condoms? Approve of the death penalty? Eat meat on Fridays during Lent? Receive communion despite being divorced?

I don't know you so I will not be so presumptive as to label you. If I had meant to label you specifically, I would have left the "s" off of "Cafeteria Catholics."

Let me clarify the post above as one Catholic made mention to me that he was bothered by it.

I'm a practicing Catholic. I follow the doctrine fairly closely but not 100%. My post above , and the cited examples, were meant to show that the premise that practicing Catholics would not vote for Obama because some of his thoughts go against Catholic doctrine is, indeed, inaccurate. There is a decent-sized faction of Catholics that do NOT follow the doctrine very closely and do many of the examples I cited. That proves my point. We are not of a singular mind simply because we attend a Catholic church.

He will not carry the Christian vote. If he wins its due to the frustration of the America people due to the way the country is heading and the past leadership or lack of. I've yet to hear a fellow Christian sing his praises, all they do is point out his past church and minister.

This Christian is a very strong Obama supporter.

I consider myself a devout Catholic...which is a Christian denomination.

I am pro-life

I am a registered Independent

I know a lot of Catholics planning to vote for Obama

As stated above, I am pro-life, but that will not stop me from voting for a candidate who may or may not have the opportunity to influence RvW.

I believe that American need to stop waiting for RvW to be overturned and get involved in the fight to end abortion, legal or illegal. Make it an unnecessary issue.

I believe that all people, born or unborn, deserve to live.

I believe that the war in Iraq is unjustified.

I believe that many of the people who've lost their lives in Iraq were innocents.

I don't believe in the waste of those lives.

I'm off the fence. I'll be voting for Obama.

With all due respect I would hardley call this world shattering news. No offense intended but I see you about as much "on the fence" as HB20.

After a lot of reading and research myself, I definately believe he's the candidate to lead the country in a better direction. Glad to have you, along with NWO and others!!!

Please, there's no way you would have voted for a Republican regardless of what your "extensive research" told you.

He doesn't have religious beliefs?

IMO Obama's religious beliefs depend on who he may be talking to at the time, whatever the paticular crowd wants to hear.

I believe that the only church/religion (if you want to call the rev. Wright's that :rolleyes:) is that one (Wrights's) that he has associated himself with for over 20 years and just recently "dumped" in fear of losing votes.

IMO Obama's religious beliefs depend on who he may be talking to at the time, whatever the paticular crowd wants to hear.

I believe that the only church/religion (if you want to call the rev. Wright's that :rolleyes:) is that one (Wrights's) that he has associated himself with for over 20 years and just recently "dumped" in fear of losing votes.

Here's my "observation"....How is that different from many Americans? Obama was danged if he did, and danged if he didn't in renouncing his church. Yet, in this forum, many people stated that he should just "find a new church". Even then, I asked, how is that effective? I questioned how it was that one could just "find a new religion".

But, I do acknowledge the number of people who simply abandon their church when the next big thing comes along. So, maybe Obama should join a mega-church and all will be right with the world. :lol:

I'm Catholic and I sure ain't voting for him. Most devout Catholics won't because of his stance on abortion.

This will be the largest factor that will prevent Obama from receiving the majority of the Christian vote...........and possibly keeping him from winning the election.

This will be the largest factor that will prevent Obama from receiving the majority of the Christian vote...........and possibly keeping him from winning the election.

I don't know, I think if you just listen to him talk, you'll see why he isn't a good candidate, but apparently he has a lot of people hoodwinked.

And, to the poster who implied that Obama doesn't have religious beliefs, I believe that whomever is in the White House does not necessarily have to believe what I believe religiously. I'm not voting for him to lead me in my faith. I'm voting for him to lead my country, which allows it's citizen's of all faiths to worship and have their own religious beliefs.

There's only been one Catholic president. And it was as huge a controversy in his election as religion has become in Obama's.

I don't care if he's Christian, Buddahist, or **gasp**Muslim. I'm looking for a president to lead this country out of it's current messes, foreign and domestic.

You are correct.............many factors need to be considered on both candidates before pulling the lever...............and I'm still on the fence on this one waiting until I can see a clearer picture where each can take this country.

I don't know, I think if you just listen to him talk, you'll see why he isn't a good candidate, but apparently he has a lot of people hoodwinked.

American's always seem to be hoodwinked. They elected Dubya for two terms.

With all due respect I would hardley call this world shattering news. No offense intended but I see you about as much "on the fence" as HB20.

Please, there's no way you would have voted for a Republican regardless of what your "extensive research" told you.

I was open to the possibility. McCain is one of the few linked with the Geriatric Old Party that I would have entertained the thoughts of voting for.

The second part is definately not accurate. Abortion is not a big enough issue for most Americans right now. Right or wrong, their pocket books mean more to them than do fetuses. Besides, most Americans are in agreement with Obama's position. 82% in the latest Gallup poll indicated that were in favor of keeping abortion legal , at least in certain cases. 28% support abortion for whatever reason; 54% are in favor of abortion in cases of rape, incest, and mother's life at risk. Only a paltry 17% said no abortion under any circumstance. So Obama is actually on the right side of the issue as far as voters are concerned. And since most voters consider themselves Christians, is he on the right side of the issue as far as most voters who consider themselves are concerned.

That line says it all, he is as smooth as they get. All talk and no substance :thumb:.