Obama's outreach to Christian voters

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I consider myself a devout Catholic...which is a Christian denomination.

I am pro-life

I am a registered Independent

I know a lot of Catholics planning to vote for Obama

As stated above, I am pro-life, but that will not stop me from voting for a candidate who may or may not have the opportunity to influence RvW.

I believe that American need to stop waiting for RvW to be overturned and get involved in the fight to end abortion, legal or illegal. Make it an unnecessary issue.

I believe that all people, born or unborn, deserve to live.

I believe that the war in Iraq is unjustified.

I believe that many of the people who've lost their lives in Iraq were innocents.

I don't believe in the waste of those lives.

I'm off the fence. I'll be voting for Obama.

I seriously doubt that you were ever on the fence. :lol:

I don't approve of abortion, as it is an issue of irresponsibility that can be prevented. But it's never been a front-burner issue with me. Mostly because I have always looked upon it from the purely pragmatic standpoint of "The world's already overpopulated, putting great stress on our resources. Do we really need all those extra people?"

Until the self-mislabeled pro-lifers answer that question for me -- and I've yet to hear a reasoned, logical explanation for it -- I just think we have more important issues to deal with.

Maybe one of these two gentlemen will convince me late to reconsider my decision to sit this one out. But I doubt I'll darken a polling place in November.

Here is an article that comments on Obama's claims that we should "try to translate some of our concerns in a universal language so that we can have an open and vigorous debate rather than have religion divide us."

From what I gather, Obama's religious perspective is that we should not fight about biblical truth because our disagreements run so true. This sounds good, but look at Obama's personal heroes- Underground Railroad operators, abolitionists, MLK Jr., Rosa Parks, etc. These people chose confrontation rather than acceptance of the perceived evils of their day. The article says it best when it says "Does social peace require the toleration of manifest evil?" Even though Obama would like us to live his "Can't-we-all-get-along Christianity", there are some out there (and likely it is this group that will not be voting for Obama) that prefer to stand up in the face of what they believe is evil.

I don't approve of abortion, as it is an issue of irresponsibility that can be prevented. But it's never been a front-burner issue with me. Mostly because I have always looked upon it from the purely pragmatic standpoint of "The world's already overpopulated, putting great stress on our resources. Do we really need all those extra people?"

Very pragmatic viewpoint. An excellent reason to kill 4,000 a day. I assume you support the genocide in Darfur?

So you're a proponent to as much war as possible? I mean, it's getting rid of a bunch of "those extra people" as you call them.

I seriously doubt that you were ever on the fence. :lol:

As you always seem to think you know more about what I think than I do, that doesn't surprise me.

However, to both you and AllTell, I was definitely on the fence.

Very pragmatic viewpoint. An excellent reason to kill 4,000 a day. I assume you support the genocide in Darfur?

I didn't say it was a reason. You glossed over my very first point.

And while mine is a very cold way of looking at it, you can't deny that those extra people would put extreme stress on an already overpopulated world. We're already short on oil. Water has historically been a justification for people to go to war; we have our own shortages here, let alone the Middle Eastern desert. Wars happen all the time over resources as well as religious and idealogical differences; it's just an unfortunate fact of life.

I just try to avoid looking at abortion from an emotional standpoint when assessing the big picture.

The second part is definately not accurate. Abortion is not a big enough issue for most Americans right now. Right or wrong, their pocket books mean more to them than do fetuses. Besides, most Americans are in agreement with Obama's position. 82% in the latest Gallup poll indicated that were in favor of keeping abortion legal , at least in certain cases. 28% support abortion for whatever reason; 54% are in favor of abortion in cases of rape, incest, and mother's life at risk. Only a paltry 17% said no abortion under any circumstance. So Obama is actually on the right side of the issue as far as voters are concerned. And since most voters consider themselves Christians, is he on the right side of the issue as far as most voters who consider themselves are concerned.

Were the people polled likely voters? Based upon the last election, one of the leading factors that determined(at least of the people I talked to) was the pro life/pro-choice stance of the two candidates.

I personally believe that the economy will determine this race along with the voter's confidence of which is better prepared to handle foreign policy and the appointment of Supreme Court Justices.

As you always seem to think you know more about what I think than I do, that doesn't surprise me.

However, to both you and AllTell, I was definitely on the fence.

Sorry RM, it has nothing to do with thinking I know you better than you do yourself. It has more to do with the vast, vast majority of your posts that makes me doubt that you were really ever on the fence. Toyed with the idea, maybe, but on the fence? I just have my doubts.

I didn't say it was a reason. You glossed over my very first point.

And while mine is a very cold way of looking at it, you can't deny that those extra people would put extreme stress on an already overpopulated world. We're already short on oil. Water has historically been a justification for people to go to war; we have our own shortages here, let alone the Middle Eastern desert. Wars happen all the time over resources as well as religious and idealogical differences; it's just an unfortunate fact of life.

I just try to avoid looking at abortion from an emotional standpoint when assessing the big picture.

Emotional? How about right vs wrong?

Why does abortion only REALLY matter to less than one-fifth of Americans? That is, less than 1 in 5 say there is NEVER a good reason to abort. More than 4 in 5 say it is acceptable if the reason is good enough. And nearly 3 in 10 say ANY excuse is good enough to abort. In short, most Americans don't passionately give a rat's tail. They would rather you tell them how you are gonna put money in their pockets and gas in their cars. You show 83% of Americans the money and they won't care when, where, or how many you abort. Just the truth, folks.