Powell Co drops Harlan Co

Talked to my cousin today that is the Superintendent down there in powell county today and he said he didnt see why they should play against Harlan because Harlan would be moving up 2 classes next year.

:cry: Superintendent sitting a good example for the kids of Powell County. If things do not go your way take your ball and run and hide. :cry::walk: :walk:

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Powell Co has decided to drop Harlan Co from the 2008 schedule and forfiet the chance to compete in the district.

Powell is much improved, and Harlan will take 1 year to compete, (Even Larkey needs time to get things on the right track). I think Coach Whitaker's team would have won that game.

Powell is much improved, and Harlan will take 1 year to compete, (Even Larkey needs time to get things on the right track). I think Coach Whitaker's team would have won that game.

So in your opinion, why forfeit the game?

I'm going out on a limb right now and predict the Breathitt County vs. Powell County score as a comparision for what may have been between Harlan County and Powell County.

BC: 54

PC: 12

Talked to my cousin today that is the Superintendent down there in powell county today and he said he didnt see why they should play against Harlan because Harlan would be moving up 2 classes next year.

So why is 3A Powell County scheduling 1A Walton-Verona this season? If they aren't comfortable playing in big school/small school games, why inflict the same thing on a smaller opponent?

• 2 weeks later...
I hope Harlan picks up a highly competitive game that makes them a better team.

Powell should have kept the game.

Picking up A game at this point is almost impossible, competitive or not. I believe their only option is to go out of state and I believe they have trying that for a while now with no luck. The Bears will probably just have 9 games now thanks to Powell County. Because of where Powell County fell on the Bears schedule, this would make them have 2 OPEN weeks back to back,

I don't know enough about this one to elaborate on this specific situation but I can speak from experience on how this has helped a program. When I played at Lawrence Co they had been to the playoffs one time in school history. They dropped out of confrence so they could get a more winable schedule put together. My soph year we went 11-0 and beat some good teams back then like Paintsville and Raceland. The buzz around town after going 11-0 was unreal. We couldn't go to the playoffs that year and it was a bummer because we had a great team. Those Sr's still enjoyed their last year because they laid the foundation for one of the best programs in the state in the 90's. The next year we lost in the final 4 by three points to Mayfield. 3 points from playing in the state championship where they only lost by 3 to Danville. The next year we swept the District and lost in the Regional Championship going 12-2. The rest of the 90's we made it too two more final 4's, put tons of kids in college and enjoyed a tremendous amount of success all which started by dropping out of confrence to create a buzz around our program.

Another thing people don't think about is that when you have a school without a bunch of players out it can be devestating on your season if you are playing a lot bigger school that can wear you down physically. Injuries occur more often when kids are worn down. I don't know if that plays into it but I can see the logic there with their program.

I'm not close enough to judge but I have seen great things come out of what is happening. If it happens to those Sr's then they have a choice. Stay bummed or go make the best of a tough situation and be remembered forever!

Stick1, while I respect your opinions very, very highly, I don't agree with the bolded part of your post as a justification for Powell cancelling the game. I can with a little research rattle of quite a few smaller teams that play bigger teams and don't come out of the games so beat up that it destroys the competitiveness of the team. Looking just at N. Ky: Beechwood plays CovCath and scrimmages Highlands. NewCath plays CovCath and scrimmages Dixie Heights. CovCath plays Cinti X and Cinti Elder. Highlands plays Colerain. I think this year Holy Cross plays CovCath. Those are just a couple of examples that quickly come to mind.

I really don't think the fear of injuries has anything to with cancelling this game. I think this is simply a result of the folks at Powell not agreeing with the KHSAA's decision to put Harlan in 3A and the folks at Powell trying to make a statement. Nothing more, nothing less. I can understand why they don't like the decision, but forfeiting a game is not the way to handle the problem. If anything, in my opinion, its something to get the Powell kids even more fired up for the game. Nothing better than the underdog motivation in my mind to get kids fired up.

Leatherneck is right, in a lot of these games that Harlan County will play, they will have nothing to gain except a win because they are a bigger school and should be able to beat everyone on their schedule, that is at least what people's perception will be.