Powell Co drops Harlan Co

Leatherneck is right, in a lot of these games that Harlan County will play, they will have nothing to gain except a win because they are a bigger school and should be able to beat everyone on their schedule, that is at least what people's perception will be.
I do not think anyone said much when Mercer Co. was playing down. They will have somthing to gain, which may be a run in the playoffs. They should also be in the hunt for the district title every year in 5A. Lets not try and take the Bears glory before they play a game.:thumb:

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do not think anyone said much when Mercer Co. was playing down. They will have somthing to gain, which may be a run in the playoffs. They should also be in the hunt for the district title every year in 5A. Lets not try and take the Bears glory before they play a game.:thumb:

This whole site was a Mercer County bash and beating, everytime they won or lost they were critisized. It got almost pathetic. No glory being taken away, I didn't mean they didn't have anything to gain literally like a state championship or anything, only that in some average peoples mind, a win is expected from the Bears, nothing less.

I do not think anyone said much when Mercer Co. was playing down. :

That is the biggest understatement of the year, go back and search Mercer County the first year they merged. A new topic and thread was started every hour on them. There are some who still say they cheated the system.

So why is 3A Powell County scheduling 1A Walton-Verona this season? If they aren't comfortable playing in big school/small school games, why inflict the same thing on a smaller opponent?

They think that they have an easy win. The same thoughts that they had last year against Jackson County who came in and beat them. This doesn't send a good message to the kids , community or KHSAA from the administration @ Powell.

They think that they have an easy win. The same thoughts that they had last year against Jackson County who came in and beat them. This doesn't send a good message to the kids , community or KHSAA from the administration @ Powell.

My point, exactly. They think Harlan County in AAA gives an easy win over Powell (terrible, can't happen), but they are more than fine with playing an A-school for the easy win (fine, sounds great).

How would everyone here feel if they were Powell Co? They have a program with problems. (The lost to Jackson Co. is just one that stands out) Then after the season is over (While you are fixing the problems ) you find out you are going to play a 5A school in district, that in no way will help you rebuild your program!( It could even drive in down farther) The Wisdom of KHSAA chose to punish the schools that did not consolidate and reward the school that did. I unstand the problems with getting games for Harlan Co. at the 5A level, But the KHSAA should have help get those games even if they were not in any district for one year. This was not done so Powell reacted (Knee jerk ) by dropping Harlan Co. I don not think what Powell did was right, but KHSAA was also wrong ! lets try too see both sides of the problem and as fans, players and coaches we can come up with a way that KHSAA with input from us can slove this problem and not put other schools in the same spot as Powell Co. & Harlan Co.:confused:

How would everyone here feel if they were Powell Co? They have a program with problems. (The lost to Jackson Co. is just one that stands out) Then after the season is over (While you are fixing the problems ) you find out you are going to play a 5A school in district, that in no way will help you rebuild your program!( It could even drive in down farther)

How will one game drive the Powell County program down further? By my count, a ten game season for Powell would include:

6 Non-District games (Schedule anyone; all 1A if you like; locals, doesn't matter)

3 District games (Breathitt, Estill, Fleming)

1 Game with Harlan County

It looks like Powell could keep the exact same schedule, just adding one tough game. Obviously they are okay with playing Breathitt, considered by most to be the district favorite. They are okay with Estill and Fleming, two solid programs in their district. They have six games scheduled with less than stellar non-district teams. Why not test yourself ONCE against a big school like Harlan County? If you get handled, well, you've still got nine more games in the season. And I'm guessing most schools in Kentucky will get handled at least once this year.

I understand what Powell County is saying, but it doesn't make sense how it can be a good thing. Harlan County is gone from Powell after this season. Play them once, and let that be it.

How will one game drive the Powell County program down further? By my count, a ten game season for Powell would include:

6 Non-District games (Schedule anyone; all 1A if you like; locals, doesn't matter)

3 District games (Breathitt, Estill, Fleming)

1 Game with Harlan County

It looks like Powell could keep the exact same schedule, just adding one tough game. Obviously they are okay with playing Breathitt, considered by most to be the district favorite. They are okay with Estill and Fleming, two solid programs in their district. They have six games scheduled with less than stellar non-district teams. Why not test yourself ONCE against a big school like Harlan County? If you get handled, well, you've still got nine more games in the season. And I'm guessing most schools in Kentucky will get handled at least once this year.

I understand what Powell County is saying, but it doesn't make sense how it can be a good thing. Harlan County is gone from Powell after this season. Play them once, and let that be it.

Good point. You always need 1 game on your schedule that you probably should not be able to win. Everybody in the place knows you should not win it....and everyone once a while your kids rise to the occassion and you have a signature win for your program.

How would everyone here feel if they were Powell Co? They have a program with problems. (The lost to Jackson Co. is just one that stands out) Then after the season is over (While you are fixing the problems ) you find out you are going to play a 5A school in district, that in no way will help you rebuild your program!( It could even drive in down farther) The Wisdom of KHSAA chose to punish the schools that did not consolidate and reward the school that did. I unstand the problems with getting games for Harlan Co. at the 5A level, But the KHSAA should have help get those games even if they were not in any district for one year. This was not done so Powell reacted (Knee jerk ) by dropping Harlan Co. I don not think what Powell did was right, but KHSAA was also wrong ! lets try too see both sides of the problem and as fans, players and coaches we can come up with a way that KHSAA with input from us can slove this problem and not put other schools in the same spot as Powell Co. & Harlan Co.:confused:

No excuse, this was simply a bad choice for not only Harlan Co but all that were involved. However, its over now and we must all do the best with what has been dealt.

So why is 3A Powell County scheduling 1A Walton-Verona this season? If they aren't comfortable playing in big school/small school games, why inflict the same thing on a smaller opponent?

I would not be counting this game as a easy win. WV has some very good players and will surprise some people this year.:flame:

I would not be counting this game as a easy win. WV has some very good players and will surprise some people this year.:flame:

That wasn't my implication at all. I was simply saying if Powell County doesn't think it's fair for 5A to play 3A, then why should they be okay with 3A playing 1A?

I am a member of Betsy Layne Bobcats, please don't take the playoffs for granted. I am at a school, where Betsy Layne High School has never made the playoffs in school history. That one year sitting out could be that one year you wanted to play in the playoffs more than ever. Just don't take anything for granted.

Bobcat pride.

Great post!!! :thumb:

I do not think anyone said much when Mercer Co. was playing down.

Actually, there were more threads and posts about Mercer from the time of their merger until longer after their state title run than any other topic on this board. It was insane on here for months and months.

The fact is that when schools merge (and this Harlan merger has been in the works for years), the KHSAA cannot and will not adjust the entire season schedule for 1 or 2 teams. So, they give them the schedule of the largest school involved in the merger for that 1 season until the new alignments come out. I can't think of a more fair way to do it without impacting tons of teams with scheduling conflicts.

That wasn't my implication at all. I was simply saying if Powell County doesn't think it's fair for 5A to play 3A, then why should they be okay with 3A playing 1A?

Understood. I was just relaying a thought to all that WV will be a surprise this year. They had good sucess at the JV, Freshman, and Middle school level. Thanks for your clarification.:thumb: