Powell Co drops Harlan Co

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know enough about this one to elaborate on this specific situation but I can speak from experience on how this has helped a program. When I played at Lawrence Co they had been to the playoffs one time in school history. They dropped out of confrence so they could get a more winable schedule put together. My soph year we went 11-0 and beat some good teams back then like Paintsville and Raceland. The buzz around town after going 11-0 was unreal. We couldn't go to the playoffs that year and it was a bummer because we had a great team. Those Sr's still enjoyed their last year because they laid the foundation for one of the best programs in the state in the 90's. The next year we lost in the final 4 by three points to Mayfield. 3 points from playing in the state championship where they only lost by 3 to Danville. The next year we swept the District and lost in the Regional Championship going 12-2. The rest of the 90's we made it too two more final 4's, put tons of kids in college and enjoyed a tremendous amount of success all which started by dropping out of confrence to create a buzz around our program.

Another thing people don't think about is that when you have a school without a bunch of players out it can be devestating on your season if you are playing a lot bigger school that can wear you down physically. Injuries occur more often when kids are worn down. I don't know if that plays into it but I can see the logic there with their program.

I'm not close enough to judge but I have seen great things come out of what is happening. If it happens to those Sr's then they have a choice. Stay bummed or go make the best of a tough situation and be remembered forever!

I see your point..But every team across the state play for that chance to play for a State Championship...Thats why they bust there tails out in 95 degree heat...I could be wrong,but thats why i played...

No doubt about it! Sometimes you have to be realistic about your program is all that I'm saying. We sacrificed a year and took a program with one playoff win ever too a team with 107 wins in the 90's and 3 final 4's. We now have multiple guys coaching college ball, kids that have played at Tenn, UK, Marshall, Miami of Ohio and smaller schools. We also have guys coaching at Tenn, UK, Marshall and a lot of other schools. Most of that is due to sacrificing that one year. How many winning seasons has Powell Co had? How many playoff wins? That's all I'm pointing out. I too hate it for the SR's and I hated it for ours but after it was all said and done those guys kept the right attitude and laid the foundation.

I don't know enough about this one to elaborate on this specific situation but I can speak from experience on how this has helped a program. When I played at Lawrence Co they had been to the playoffs one time in school history. They dropped out of confrence so they could get a more winable schedule put together. My soph year we went 11-0 and beat some good teams back then like Paintsville and Raceland. The buzz around town after going 11-0 was unreal. We couldn't go to the playoffs that year and it was a bummer because we had a great team. Those Sr's still enjoyed their last year because they laid the foundation for one of the best programs in the state in the 90's. The next year we lost in the final 4 by three points to Mayfield. 3 points from playing in the state championship where they only lost by 3 to Danville. The next year we swept the District and lost in the Regional Championship going 12-2. The rest of the 90's we made it too two more final 4's, put tons of kids in college and enjoyed a tremendous amount of success all which started by dropping out of confrence to create a buzz around our program.

Another thing people don't think about is that when you have a school without a bunch of players out it can be devestating on your season if you are playing a lot bigger school that can wear you down physically. Injuries occur more often when kids are worn down. I don't know if that plays into it but I can see the logic there with their program.

I'm not close enough to judge but I have seen great things come out of what is happening. If it happens to those Sr's then they have a choice. Stay bummed or go make the best of a tough situation and be remembered forever!

How would staying in the district have changed that? If you could go 11-0, you would probably have been good enough to win games against district competition and make the playoffs.

How would staying in the district have changed that? If you could go 11-0, you would probably have been good enough to win games against district competition and make the playoffs.

NOT NECESSARILY...

I am a member of Betsy Layne Bobcats, please don't take the playoffs for granted. I am at a school, where Betsy Layne High School has never made the playoffs in school history. That one year sitting out could be that one year you wanted to play in the playoffs more than ever. Just don't take anything for granted.

Bobcat pride.

I wouldn't give all the credit to laying out a year. Best I remember Lawrence Co went through a lot of great athletes in the 90's, especially in 1999. What seemed to have happened after that. You would think after getting to the final four all those times would create enough excitement in the school and community to keep a program going a few more years.

Stick1 - I could somewhat see your point, however, Powell County isn't just dropping their entire district, they are just opting out of that one game, which elimnates them totally. If they were going to do what Lawrence County did then they would have:

1. Done this months ago

2. Dropped all of the district teams

This is doing nothing except allowing them to play Walton Verona instead of Harlan County.

By the way Lawrence County had a string of I'd say around 20 or more college players in the 90's. Not sure if sitting out a year had anything to do with the talent that was there.

While I can empathize with reasons for the decision, it is difficult to rationalize dropping only one district game to build your program as opposed to the entire district. It would appear it is more a statement against a soon to be 5A school put in a 3A district. Harlan Co. should be good, but if Powell is willing and able to compete with Breathitt, Estill, etc., they should be able to take the field against Harlan Co. without ruining their season, program and athletes.

While I can empathize with reasons for the decision, it is difficult to rationalize dropping only one district game to build your program as opposed to the entire district. It would appear it is more a statement against a soon to be 5A school put in a 3A district. Harlan Co. should be good, but if Powell is willing and able to compete with Breathitt, Estill, etc., they should be able to take the field against Harlan Co. without ruining their season, program and athletes.

I agree 100%.

This is simply a stand being made by an AD. If my information is correct, this was talked up last year. However, it is interesting that it has just recently came to a head. Its sad for the players and I feel for the seniors on this team. Nothing surprises me anymore but I must admit this comes close!

Youthcoach, I agree with you 100%. This is simply a statement a bad one at that but a statement by the school because of Harlan Co. classification this year. I just can't understand though why they would drop Harlan Co. and lose a chance to make the playoffs and still keep Breathitt and Estill which in my opinion are the teams to beat in that district until Harlan Co. can prove something. It is just so sad for the players especially the seniors. I just can't imagine what it would feel like knowing I am playing for nothing. If I were the players I would go to the coaches, principal, AD, superintendent, board, judges, congress, president, the UN or someone and have them change it back.:fight: