Powell Co drops Harlan Co

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Talked to my cousin today that is the Superintendent down there in powell county today and he said he didnt see why they should play against Harlan because Harlan would be moving up 2 classes next year.

Well you could tell him that Powell Co. isn't the first or the sixth to be in this situation and that the same procedure has been followed for each circumstance like we are seeing with a consolidated school. It has played out the same way every single time and sometimes life can throw you a curve. I am sure ever other team in this situation kind of felt slighted but to my knowledge none of them took the chance to play in the post season away from their kids. JMHO but what do I know?

It is true that Harlan County will be moving up to 5A next year BUT, that is still no excuse to punish the players , Seniors. Harlan County will be in 3A next year and in Powell Co. district so what does next year have to do with it. Maybe I am just making too much of this but I really feel for the seniors.

Youthcoach, I agree with you 100%. This is simply a statement a bad one at that but a statement by the school because of Harlan Co. classification this year. I just can't understand though why they would drop Harlan Co. and lose a chance to make the playoffs and still keep Breathitt and Estill which in my opinion are the teams to beat in that district until Harlan Co. can prove something. It is just so sad for the players especially the seniors. I just can't imagine what it would feel like knowing I am playing for nothing. If I were the players I would go to the coaches, principal, AD, superintendent, board, judges, congress, president, the UN or someone and have them change it back.:fight:

While they are at it maybe they can ask for something to be done with these awful gas prices also.

While they are at it maybe they can ask for something to be done with these awful gas prices also.

Talking about gas prices...I was looking on Map Quest tonight to see where Grayson,Va. was.. its 400 miles one way..:cry: Thats going to be a long ride for Coach Larkey and Da Bears...

Talking about gas prices...I was looking on Map Quest tonight to see where Grayson,Va. was.. its 400 miles one way..:cry: Thats going to be a long ride for Coach Larkey and Da Bears...

I didn't think it was nearly that far. I think you should have looked up Grayson County.

It's actually 181 miles one way & should take around 3 hours & 45 minutes or so to get there.

I didn't think it was nearly that far. I think you should have looked up Grayson County.
You have to play games HDE. I think they have contacted everyone east of the Mississippi. Maybe the Dragons or Hazard will play the Bears.:ylsuper:

I didn't make an exhaustive search, but after some time on the KHSAA scoreboard, I found the following possibilities:

Louisville Central...only 8 games listed and open on October 3.

Johnson Central...only 9 games listed and open on October 10.

Granted, the schedules posted are likely old, but I found another one.

Boyle County...7 games listed and open on October 3.

I do not think Coach Larkey would back down from the challenge. I look for the Bears to have a very strong schedule next season.