Powell Co drops Harlan Co

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After reading the posts in this thread and in the Harlan County thread I have to ask is Powell County doing this because they think Harlan should be in a higher classification?

If that's the case then there should be some punitive action taken against them. Districts realign in 2009 and Powell will be in a 4 team district then and guaranteed a playoff spot. If they opt not to compete for the district title this year then they should now be allowed to compete next year when they are assured a playoff spot.

I just wonder how the kids feel about this. I feel the kids are being cheated. I mean my goodness they just about beat Cawood last year, as a matter of fact they should have beat Cawood last year. I think the coaches were putting their feeling first and the kids feelings last in this situation. That is like saying, guys, we don't have a chance so we are going to drop Harlan Co. and we are just going to play for fun this year and not compete.

:confused:

The A.D., Monroe Jones probably just wanted to make a statement and save themselves from being dominated. Hopefully Powell will be able to get there first winning season in school history this year.
I just do not understand why you would send a message to your kids like this.:confused:

:confused: I just do not understand why you would send a message to your kids like this.:confused:

What is the purpose in having a winning season and not being able to compete in the district? I feel sorry for the team. Making the playoffs is a big thing for any school. Knowing you are not able to even have a chance to compete for a playoff game even though it is 4th place is a shame. I can't beleive Coach Whitaker would even consider this for his team. There are only 4 district games. Breathitt Co., Estill Co., Fleming Co. and Harlan Co. All you have to do is beat one team and you are in the playoffs. Now you can play all season and say forget it. I believe Powell Co picked up Walton Verona to replace Harlan Co. Guess they think they can win that game.

Go Walton Verona if that is the case!