Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Powell Co drops Harlan Co

Featured Replies

Powell Co has decided to drop Harlan Co from the 2008 schedule and forfiet the chance to compete in the district.

  • Replies 115
  • Views 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's insane. I bet if that's true they end up wishing they hadn't.

After reading the posts in this thread and in the Harlan County thread I have to ask is Powell County doing this because they think Harlan should be in a higher classification?

 

If that's the case then there should be some punitive action taken against them. Districts realign in 2009 and Powell will be in a 4 team district then and guaranteed a playoff spot. If they opt not to compete for the district title this year then they should now be allowed to compete next year when they are assured a playoff spot.

I just wonder how the kids feel about this. I feel the kids are being cheated. I mean my goodness they just about beat Cawood last year, as a matter of fact they should have beat Cawood last year. I think the coaches were putting their feeling first and the kids feelings last in this situation. That is like saying, guys, we don't have a chance so we are going to drop Harlan Co. and we are just going to play for fun this year and not compete.

Is Mike Whitaker still the coach at Powell Co.?

That's a blow to the team especially the seniors who have worked as hard as they have to get ready for thier final season.

Thats pretty bad for the kids. Powell county has always has outstanding sportmenship though.

I heard today that the AD had something to do with the forfiet.. I guess now we are going to see alot of finger pointing...I hate it for the seniors especially the one's that played 4 years...

Edited by Ram
Rule 13

The A.D., Monroe Jones probably just wanted to make a statement and save themselves from being dominated. Hopefully Powell will be able to get there first winning season in school history this year.

:confused:

The A.D., Monroe Jones probably just wanted to make a statement and save themselves from being dominated. Hopefully Powell will be able to get there first winning season in school history this year.
I just do not understand why you would send a message to your kids like this.:confused:
  • Author
:confused: I just do not understand why you would send a message to your kids like this.:confused:

 

What is the purpose in having a winning season and not being able to compete in the district? I feel sorry for the team. Making the playoffs is a big thing for any school. Knowing you are not able to even have a chance to compete for a playoff game even though it is 4th place is a shame. I can't beleive Coach Whitaker would even consider this for his team. There are only 4 district games. Breathitt Co., Estill Co., Fleming Co. and Harlan Co. All you have to do is beat one team and you are in the playoffs. Now you can play all season and say forget it. I believe Powell Co picked up Walton Verona to replace Harlan Co. Guess they think they can win that game.

Go Walton Verona if that is the case!

:confused: I just do not understand why you would send a message to your kids like this.:confused:

 

I agree. Very bad decision on Powell's part!

Are there any prospects for a replacement game?

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.