WalMart Check-Out Nightmare--What Would You Have Done?

The other evening, I went to WalMart to pick up a couple of food items. I wanted to hurry home so that I could cook supper before it became too late. I got my items and headed straight to the check-out lane with the least amount of traffic. There was only one or two folks in front of me, and the guy immediately in front of me was a young fellow(maybe 20), who apparently was an acquaintance with the female cashier.

As he was checking-out, the cashier,who appeared to be about 19, began chatting away with the boy, and engaging in some very obvious flirtation. I overheard her telling him how much she hated her job, hated dealing with people, and how she was upset at getting paid only $7.20 an hour. The young man only purchased one item, some gum or candy, yet it took her a good 5 minutes to check him out(in more than one way).

Now the best part.... When it finally came my turn(she doesn't even acknowledge me), she scans my two items , takes my money, PLACES IT ON THE CHECKOUT, turns and grabs her cell phone and begins feverishly text messaging someone(probably concerning the boy she had been enamored by). She literally stands there with her back to her cash register, my money still laying there on her check out, and texts for the next three minutes, at least. My girlfriend, who was with me, had not observed the cell phone. She asked me what the hold up was, thinking that the girl was having trouble getting the correct change.

Finally, after a good three or four minutes sending text messages, she takes my two dollars off the check -out, hands me twenty-one cents in change, and sends me on my way. Not a "thank you," "I'm sorry for your wait," "Forgive me-I'm an idiot"... NOTHING.

As we were leaving, I began letting my girlfriend know what all went on. She wanted to go back into the store and complain to management and confront the girl in front of her boss. I felt the girl had been most disrespectful and rude, but I didn't feel the inclination to go back in and rehash the experience.

Maybe I should have.... What would you have done???

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It was disrespectful and rude. However, if you want to pay the lower prices at Wal-Mart, you gotta put up with some crap. If you want better service, go to your mom'n'pop store where you'll get good, attentive service with a smile. Or, you can save a few nickels and go to Wal-Mart, where disgruntled, low-paid help is par for the course.

Having worked in customer service, I know that phones make people (employees and customers) RUDE. They literally get on them and have a complete disregard for any other human beings. I would have said something at the time it happened. Something to the degree of "Ma'am, excuse me but I'm in a hurry" to let her know "hey I'm right here, pay attention to your job", and I would have done that immediately when she started texting on the phone. If at that point you had received any lip or rude service than I would take that immediately to the manager, without arguing with the girl.

It was disrespectful and rude. However, if you want to pay the lower prices at Wal-Mart, you gotta put up with some crap. If you want better service, go to your mom'n'pop store where you'll get good, attentive service with a smile. Or, you can save a few nickels and go to Wal-Mart, where disgruntled, low-paid help is par for the course.

I hear what you are saying, Jim, but I have had similar experiences at our local establishments. There is now a sense of acceptibility to talk or converse in some way on your cell at the expense of customers. I hate talking on my phone anyways, so it is not much of a problem, but you would be shocked how many people act similar at my job... a place you should definitley not be on a cell. Speak of the devil, I kid you not, someone next to my office just received a call.

I don't think you would have been out of place to have tapped her on the shoulder and when she whirled around asked her point blank in a polite, firm, tone, "please ring me up before you handle your personal affairs."

Flicking spit-balls at her, might've worked, too.

As prevalent as cell phones and text messaging is now, high schools should have as part of their curriculum, a class on the proper usage of these items while in public. Also, employers probably need to adjust their employee orientation materials to cover these issues. Then when brats like this girl get fired, they can't say they didn't know any better.

As prevalent as cell phones and text messaging is now, high schools should have as part of their curriculum, a class on the proper usage of these items while in public. Also, employers probably need to adjust their employee orientation materials to cover these issues. Then when brats like this girl get fired, they can't say they didn't know any better.

I guarantee Wal-Mart has something on the useage of cell phones. Now whether they care or not to enforce it is another thing.

I try to avoid Wally World if at all possible. On this night, I was right in the vicinity of the store and thought what the heck. I had just never seen someone start playing on their phone and leave a customer waiting. It was weird. I tend to be extremely patient, maybe too much so in this case.

Yep. There's a reason she's only making $7.20.

If I was in a bad mood I would have asked to talk with the store manager and went off in a nice way.

I am betting this was one of those young girls that have that good look and most likely one who thinks her looks can get her what she wants.

I love when those girls get older and that look has left them.