WalMart Check-Out Nightmare--What Would You Have Done?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Never, never touch the employee, a tap on the shoulder is definitely not OK, EVER. You will be the bad guy. Addressing the employee in a negative way, be it your tone or choice of works will do no good either. You have to remember that you want them to be aware of the employees behavior, not yours.

The best way to handle this is to simply go to the service desk and ask to talk to a supervisor and relate your bad experience to them. The other thing you can do, if time is a problem, call the manager and tell him about your experience.

The worst thing you can do is ask to be compensated or be involved in the discipline of the employee.

You have to remember that how you conduct yourself will have a direct barring on the credibility your complaint.

I deal with this EVERYDAY and consider myself an expert on this very subject.

On a side note, after I've completed my shopping and head to the checkouts, I hate having to wait in line. Now, I don't mean just 2 or 3 people in front of me, I mean 5 or 6 and more registers closed than open. It makes me want to leave my full grocery basket and walk out. Why aren't more lines open when so many customers are waiting to pay? I remember years ago, the walmart in Ashland had a sign that said something regarding no more than a 3 minute wait. I wish they still had that policy.

Never, never touch the employee, a tap on the shoulder is definitely not OK, EVER. You will be the bad guy. Addressing the employee in a negative way, be it your tone or choice of works will do no good either. You have to remember that you want them to be aware of the employees behavior, not yours.

The best way to handle this is to simply go to the service desk and ask to talk to a supervisor and relate your bad experience to them. The other thing you can do, if time is a problem, call the manager and tell him about your experience.

The worst thing you can do is ask to be compensated or be involved in the discipline of the employee.

You have to remember that how you conduct yourself will have a direct barring on the credibility your complaint.

I deal with this EVERYDAY and consider myself an expert on this very subject.

I did five years in retail hell myself, and agree with your sentiment wholeheartedly.

Contrary to popular belief, "giving them a piece of your mind" doesn't have the desired effect. I used to laugh the hardest at the ones who got really mad.

Cell phones are a great invention but sometimes I really hate them. I think young people are addicted to text messaging. They have a problem.

Some of my best days are when I leave my cell phone at home. Nobody buggin ya all day long and it kind of takes you back to the old days.

In this case, the management needs to know what type of employee they have so they can fire her or train her to do a better job. Firing her may send a message, it may not. Training her to take her job seriously and treat each customer with respect and a smile would be the best thing to do here. Unfortunately because many stores have trouble finding good help, they throw them to the wolves with no training and the employees can sometimes get frustrated. IN this case it sounds like an immature teenager with no people skills whatsoever.

I would have asked for the manager and demanded my money back, explained why, and then left with or without my money but without the items. I would have refused to take the items, regardless of what kind of apology was forthcoming.

First let me say that I have spent my fair share in the public eye and I believe that everyone should have to at least work one year in a public format. This is just to see what kind of abuse and crap you deal with from some of the customers at times. The customer ISN"T ALWAYS RIGHT, regardless of what we are taught.

Now having said that , this young self absorbed girl would've been told , in a nice way , from me that she has a job to do and she needs to do it. I cannot believe the lack of service you get anymore. I know several people right now that are not even making what she does an hour and they have families. Amazing is all that can be said. I"ll have to tell you about my daughters experience at K mart a couple weeks ago when she thought she had a job with them. I won't hijack this thread though.

Something similar happened to me at Walmart. I politely explained to the manager that I had been having problems with my experience at Walmart over the past few months, and that the checkout attendant's attitude was the last straw. I then explained that my $500 per month future grocery purchases would be made at a competing retailer. $6k per year may not sound like much, but in 40 years, that will be a quarter million in lost sales.

I'm proud to say that I have spent $0 at Walmart within the past 8 months. Meijer is now my supermarket of choice.