WalMart Check-Out Nightmare--What Would You Have Done?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As prevalent as cell phones and text messaging is now, high schools should have as part of their curriculum, a class on the proper usage of these items while in public. Also, employers probably need to adjust their employee orientation materials to cover these issues. Then when brats like this girl get fired, they can't say they didn't know any better.

Oh great, add something else to the teacher's load. This is something that parents should be teaching or the company should have a policy.

I had enough trouble with attitude laden students and their cell phones.

The other evening, I went to WalMart to pick up a couple of food items. I wanted to hurry home so that I could cook supper before it became too late. I got my items and headed straight to the check-out lane with the least amount of traffic. There was only one or two folks in front of me, and the guy immediately in front of me was a young fellow(maybe 20), who apparently was an acquaintance with the female cashier.

As he was checking-out, the cashier,who appeared to be about 19, began chatting away with the boy, and engaging in some very obvious flirtation. I overheard her telling him how much she hated her job, hated dealing with people, and how she was upset at getting paid only $7.20 an hour. The young man only purchased one item, some gum or candy, yet it took her a good 5 minutes to check him out(in more than one way).

Now the best part.... When it finally came my turn(she doesn't even acknowledge me), she scans my two items , takes my money, PLACES IT ON THE CHECKOUT, turns and grabs her cell phone and begins feverishly text messaging someone(probably concerning the boy she had been enamored by). She literally stands there with her back to her cash register, my money still laying there on her check out, and texts for the next three minutes, at least. My girlfriend, who was with me, had not observed the cell phone. She asked me what the hold up was, thinking that the girl was having trouble getting the correct change.

Finally, after a good three or four minutes sending text messages, she takes my two dollars off the check -out, hands me twenty-one cents in change, and sends me on my way. Not a "thank you," "I'm sorry for your wait," "Forgive me-I'm an idiot"... NOTHING.

As we were leaving, I began letting my girlfriend know what all went on. She wanted to go back into the store and complain to management and confront the girl in front of her boss. I felt the girl had been most disrespectful and rude, but I didn't feel the inclination to go back in and rehash the experience.

Maybe I should have.... What would you have done???

I would have at least let her know I was not happy... Customer service has completly went down hill!

As they said up the thread, use the selfscans if they have them at your location. It is much better than dealing with a person and the only person to blame in a delay is usually going to be you, and at least you're in control of that.

If I'd have been in your situation, I'd have said something to her while she was texting. I'd have found some way to make myself be cordial, but I would have said something like "Excuse me, I'd really like to be going." If that failed to do anything, I'd have gone straight to a manager.

I hate people and their cell phones. I work at a Valet and have to deal with people on their phones all the time. Many times people will be on their phones, and will completely ignore you when you drop their car off for them. I'm out there running to get their car in 90+ degree weather and they can't manage a "thank you"? :lol: I get a little frustrated sometimes, but most of the time I just expect it.

Well, I would have told here 'Excuse me, I over heard you telling that boy in front of me that you hate your job? If you don't ring me up right now I will go to your manager and make sure that since you hate your job, that you don't have one!"

Usually I am VERY patient with people that deal with the public, in such places and fast food and cashiers, as a lot of people who they wait on are rude and impatient people. So I know that they are usually stressed by all of them, and I don't want to add to their frustrations/stress.

But at the same time, I don't want them to ignore me, at least acknowledge that I am there, it will go a LONG way! But to sit there and text and turn her back? Even if it was an emergency or something, she at least could have asked you to hold on, or say im sorry I had to take that text it was extremely important, even if it wasn't.

I also would have told here that if she wanted to text that is fine, but that she shouldn't do it at my expense, wait until there are no customers in your line.

But, telling her what I put in the first paragraph I think would have gotten your point across, without getting her fired, even though she may not care if she does. But she will also hopefully see that you, gave her a chance to straighten up by going to her first.

I wouldn't worry about it...Don't think that you are the only one that she has been rude to...It will catch up with her...she won't last long...Im sure in less than a month you will be going threw a fast food restaurant drive thru and she will be handing you your food through the window while texting....:D

The Crazy thing about people like this...Its Never there own fault...:creepy:

I wouldn't worry about it...Don't think that you are the only one that she has been rude to...It will catch up with her...she won't last long...Im sure in less than a month you will be going threw a fast food restaurant drive thru and she will be handing you your food through the window while texting....:D

The Crazy thing about people like this...Its Never there own fault...:creepy:

Isn't that the truth, AA?!?!

I would never have let her get by with treating me that way. I don't care if you are making $7.20 an hour or $70.00 an hour, you don't act like that. I worked for 28 years in the public health field and trust me, I would never have been allowed to act like that and I would never allow an employee to act like that either. I fired a woman once for talking back to a client and I never regretted that action.

I retired last August and 6 weeks ago I went to work, part-time, at a local pharmacy. I only worked 4 days before I had to go into the hospital for my heart surgery but this work was a new experience for me. Even though I had worked with the public for years this was retail, and trust me when I say this, I will forever be in awe of people who work retail. Just in the 4 days I was there I had to bite back some "no nice" remarks. Some of the people that I had to wait on was just out and out hateful. But even then I never said a word back to them. This isn't giving an excuse to the girl at wal-mart, because she was just rude, but the people working checkout get a lot laid on them also.