John Clay has some fair questions concerning Billy Clyde

ladiesbballcoach

http://www.kentucky.com/269/story/271596.html

Surely the man has a plan.

Surely the man who turned Texas-El Paso from dregs to daunting, who transformed Texas A&M from a basketball black hole into a third-year terror has a method to the madness that is being practiced in his first season as Kentucky coach.

But I admit I'm not quite smart enough to figure it out.

1) Example: Freshman A.J. Stewart does enough in practice since the team returned from its Christmas break to earn a spot in the starting lineup. Yet five minutes into the game, Stewart is called back to the bench, where he remains for the remainder of the game.

So what did Stewart do in the first five minutes to undo the apparently positive impression he made in practice?

"I just thought we could do a little bit better with the guys we had out on the court," said Gillispie.

2) Michael Porter starts at guard, plays seven minutes the first half, then never sees the floor the second half.

3) If Meeks was healthy enough to play, why didn't he play in the first half?

"I thought that's when we needed him," answered Gillispie.

So did Gillispie hope that he would not have to play the sophomore, but with UK losing he felt he needed Meeks' scoring punch?

"No," answered the coach. "I play him when he gets available. We need Jodie to be healthy and we need him to play when he can play, but he has not been available very often."

So was Meeks not available to play in the first half?

"I'm not gonna say on that," Gillispie said. "I said I'll play him when he's available. We need Jodie to be at his best because he's a very good player and we need him. Believe me, I would like to have him out there all the time, when he's capable, and when he's available, and when he's ready and all of those kinds of things."

Huh?

Question: Did the doctors tell you that Meeks was only available to play a little bit, so you were just trying to make the most of his minutes?

Gillispie: "I just played him when he's available."

Question: So he wasn't available at the beginning of the game?

Answer: "I just played him when he's available. I thought a couple of games ago he was going to be able to play and he became unavailable to me at the start. We thought he was going to be available and he wasn't available. I only play him when he's available."

Question: Is a doctor telling you this?

Gillispie: "Yes. It wasn't my decision."

Question: So the doctor said before the game he wasn't available?

Gillispie: "I only play him when he's available."

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is my main concern right now. There HAS to be some method to this playing time/substitution madness, but I cannot see it. I doubt anyone can, either. I really wish I could get a logical explanation for the haphazard patterns.

Sub patterns are the least of my worries. Tubby's were just as odd, although in different ways.

Sub patterns are the least of my worries. Tubby's were just as odd, although in different ways.

I'm a firm believer that guys need time to get into the flow of the game. When BCG is yanking them in and out every 2 minutes, it's hard to establish consistency in your play.

I think this team would be a lot better off if BCG set a starting lineup and stuck with it and had a fairly regular rotation. Sure, leave room for guys to work their way up in the lineup or work their way down, but if you're unsure if or when you're going to get to play, what does that do to the psyche of a college kid?

Billy Gillispie always gives lame reasons during the press conferences. We aren't play with determination. We didn't make adjustments to the point guard. Well Billy WHO'S JOB IS IT TO MAKE ADJUSTMENTS, it ain't the players by themselves. I wish he would answer questions that the media tries to address and take responsibility himself for the teams failures.

At UTEP and Texas A/M, he could throw away a game or two to make a point to his players, knowing it would possibly pay off down the stretch. UK people just ain't used to throwing a game away for any reason. I'm not saying losing on purpose, more like Norman Dale when he finished his first game at Hickory with four players on the court.