John Clay has some fair questions concerning Billy Clyde

ladiesbballcoach

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Clay sickens me. He strikes me as a massive...something I probably can't type on this board.

The lack of support for BCG sickens me. GIVE HIM A COUPLE OF SEASONS! I am almost embarrased to be a part of this fanbase when I see the way some of you are treating him.

The problem with giving him a couple of seasons, is UK just isn't getting any better. They still don't do the fundamentals. They don't look any better than their first game.

The problem with giving him a couple of seasons, is UK just isn't getting any better. They still don't do the fundamentals. They don't look any better than their first game.

We have played 12 games, man. Sheesh. He's coaching players that A) May resent him and his system. B) May not like that the offense is centered around Patrick Patterson (Ahem, Joe Crawford, ahem) and most importantly C) He is demanding a lot out of players that never had that much demanded of them by the former coaching staff.

I seem to remember a coach in UK history that's teams were barely at .500 his first year or two and missed the NCAA tourney....and he ended up doing ok. Give it time.

If psycho-UK fans run off Billy G less than a year after they run off Tubby - no one is going to want to come here and I would almost have to consider getting out of the fan base. It's ok to expect a lot - it's perfectly fine being let down...what is completely ludicrous is expecting him to prove himself his first season with a team that's not loaded with talent, not loaded with experience, and not loaded with what I think are "team" players.

You all ever thought about this:

Maybe he is just not very good Coaching other people's players or perhaps he is just not a good first year coach all together. Look at his first two years at UTEP and A&M....not very good years at all and then in his second year they were completely turned around. I am not saying that I expect UK to be a powerhouse by the end of next year but by 09/10 I would be severely surprised if we werent a Kansas/UNC/Duke calibur team once more.

Wow. They hadn't gotten any better the last few seasons either. Give the man a chance.

We have played 12 games, man. Sheesh. He's coaching players that A) May resent him and his system. B) May not like that the offense is centered around Patrick Patterson (Ahem, Joe Crawford, ahem) and most importantly C) He is demanding a lot out of players that never had that much demanded of them by the former coaching staff.

I seem to remember a coach in UK history that's teams were barely at .500 his first year or two and missed the NCAA tourney....and he ended up doing ok. Give it time.

If psycho-UK fans run off Billy G less than a year after they run off Tubby - no one is going to want to come here and I would almost have to consider getting out of the fan base. It's ok to expect a lot - it's perfectly fine being let down...what is completely ludicrous is expecting him to prove himself his first season with a team that's not loaded with talent, not loaded with experience, and not loaded with what I think are "team" players.

I don't think fans can run him off, if anything it will be the administration.

I'm not calling for his head. I am however looking for improvement.

Billy-G needs to understand that he's in the BIG-TIME college programs and that there are people in the seats behind him that have a B-Ball IQ greater that 50. He will have to explain things and be better at it. If he wants people to be on his bandwagon and not be questioning his coaching style then explain it better. JMO

Clay sickens me. He strikes me as a massive...something I probably can't type on this board.

The lack of support for BCG sickens me. GIVE HIM A COUPLE OF SEASONS! I am almost embarrased to be a part of this fanbase when I see the way some of you are treating him.

I doubt it says anywhere in John Clay's contract or job description that he has to support whoever is head coach of UK men's basketball.

All Clay is doing is asking the exact same questions that are on the minds of tens of thousands of UK fans. But shoot the messenger, if you choose.

http://www.kentucky.com/269/story/271596.html

Surely the man has a plan.

Surely the man who turned Texas-El Paso from dregs to daunting, who transformed Texas A&M from a basketball black hole into a third-year terror has a method to the madness that is being practiced in his first season as Kentucky coach.

But I admit I'm not quite smart enough to figure it out.

1) Example: Freshman A.J. Stewart does enough in practice since the team returned from its Christmas break to earn a spot in the starting lineup. Yet five minutes into the game, Stewart is called back to the bench, where he remains for the remainder of the game

So what did Stewart do in the first five minutes to undo the apparently positive impression he made in practice?

"I just thought we could do a little bit better with the guys we had out on the court," said Gillispie.

2) Michael Porter starts at guard, plays seven minutes the first half, then never sees the floor the second half.

3) If Meeks was healthy enough to play, why didn't he play in the first half?

"I thought that's when we needed him," answered Gillispie.

So did Gillispie hope that he would not have to play the sophomore, but with UK losing he felt he needed Meeks' scoring punch?

"No," answered the coach. "I play him when he gets available. We need Jodie to be healthy and we need him to play when he can play, but he has not been available very often."

So was Meeks not available to play in the first half?

"I'm not gonna say on that," Gillispie said. "I said I'll play him when he's available. We need Jodie to be at his best because he's a very good player and we need him. Believe me, I would like to have him out there all the time, when he's capable, and when he's available, and when he's ready and all of those kinds of things."

Huh?

Question: Did the doctors tell you that Meeks was only available to play a little bit, so you were just trying to make the most of his minutes?

Gillispie: "I just played him when he's available."

Question: So he wasn't available at the beginning of the game?

Answer: "I just played him when he's available. I thought a couple of games ago he was going to be able to play and he became unavailable to me at the start. We thought he was going to be available and he wasn't available. I only play him when he's available."

Question: Is a doctor telling you this?

Gillispie: "Yes. It wasn't my decision."

Question: So the doctor said before the game he wasn't available?

Gillispie: "I only play him when he's available."

:lol::lol::lol:

I doubt it says anywhere in John Clay's contract or job description that he has to support whoever is head coach of UK men's basketball.

All Clay is doing is asking the exact same questions that are on the minds of tens of thousands of UK fans. But shoot the messenger, if you choose.

He was the same way with Tubby. He is always, always, always negative. I don't like he or Story though.

Bottom line - I think the vast majority of the UK fan base expect their team to beat the likes of Gardner-Webb and San Diego at home. Regardless of who's the coach - and what year he's in, and regardless of who's wearing the uniform.

This is a post that I absolutely agree with! I refrain from posting most times when Tubby is the blame in each post but, Tubby would have won games against Gardner-Webb and San Diego with this team or a worse team. I won't call the coach out either but, he just may not be a good coach! He was the only available coach willing to come to the Bluegrass with our fans and try it knowing that if he is no in the Elite Eight at least each year that they will want his head!