2024 Johnson Central Golden Eagles

2023 Outcome

Record: 9-4 

The 2023 season for the Eagles was marked by a strong regular season performance, finishing strong against the Tomcats beating Ashland to cap off the regular season. Despite this success, their playoff run ended on a disappointing note with a significant 0-31 loss against Covington Catholic in an away game. This defeat was one of the most lopsided playoff losses in recent memory for the Eagles, casting a shadow over an otherwise solid season.

• Thanks 1

If JC stays injury free this year they could be a serious threat! It was tough to lose Zack McCoart last season as he led the team in 2022 with 1,700 rushing yards and 26 touchdowns as a sophomore. On top of that they had multiple injuries in the backfield last season that slowed them down at times.

One player in particular that I liked watching was Logan Morrow. He has excellent acceleration and is a dependable back that can power through for yardage. He ran for 620 yards as a sophomore, scoring 11 touchdowns.

I do know their schedule will feature the following teams:

Ashland, Boyd County, Greenup County, and Rowan County for their district games.

This is a much different district than it was in the 2010's when Johnson Central won it handily for the most part. While Johnson Central is still Johnson Central, Ashland returns a lot from what was a tough opponent and Boyd and Greenup are much, much improved from prior years. Johnson Central had to come back to beat Boyd County in the playoffs and Greenup County hung with Johnson Central for three quarters. Rowan County was very young last year and while I think they may be a year away, Coach Ford has a freshman class with a lot of potential. This is no knock on Johnson Central, but just indicates much their district opponents have improved.

Johnson Central will be a threat to once again win the district and if everybody is healthy I find it hard to imagine they wouldn't be a threat to make a deep playoff run, even in a heavily contested class like 4A.

On 6/12/2024 at 5:47 PM, theguru said:

Anyone have JC's schedule?

Johnson Central has an annual struggle to get a completed schedule. Thus far this year I've seen these games confirmed:

Aug 23 at Madison Central
Aug 31 at Pikeville (Pike County Bowl)
Sep 6 vs. Belfry
Sep 13 at Breathitt County
Sep 20 --
Sep 27 at Boyd County (District)
Oct 4 vs. Corbin (District)
Oct 11 vs. Rowan County (District)
Oct 18 vs. Greenup County (District)
Oct 25 --
Nov 1 --

They still have the Ashland district game to confirm, which I'd assume will happen on October 25, the same week it took place last year. And then last year they played Dohn Community Prep in Cincinnati the week between Breathitt County and Boyd County. Dohn is not a very good team, so I kind of suspect Johnson Central could possibly be hunting around for an alternative to that game still. That would leave November 1st as their bye week, leading into the playoffs.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, TCR said:

If JC stays injury free this year they could be a serious threat! It was tough to lose Zack McCoart last season as he led the team in 2022 with 1,700 rushing yards and 26 touchdowns as a sophomore. On top of that they had multiple injuries in the backfield last season that slowed them down at times.

One player in particular that I liked watching was Logan Morrow. He has excellent acceleration and is a dependable back that can power through for yardage. He ran for 620 yards as a sophomore, scoring 11 touchdowns.

I do know their schedule will feature the following teams:

Ashland, Boyd County, Greenup County, and Rowan County for their district games.

This is a much different district than it was in the 2010's when Johnson Central won it handily for the most part. While Johnson Central is still Johnson Central, Ashland returns a lot from what was a tough opponent and Boyd and Greenup are much, much improved from prior years. Johnson Central had to come back to beat Boyd County in the playoffs and Greenup County hung with Johnson Central for three quarters. Rowan County was very young last year and while I think they may be a year away, Coach Ford has a freshman class with a lot of potential. This is no knock on Johnson Central, but just indicates much their district opponents have improved.

Johnson Central will be a threat to once again win the district and if everybody is healthy I find it hard to imagine they wouldn't be a threat to make a deep playoff run, even in a heavily contested class like 4A.

Will Logan Morrow be back by the start of the season?