Tipping ettiquette

hurricane

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My wife and I argue about this all the time. I say that you should tip a restaraunt server based on the amount of the bill BEFORE any discounts are applied (like happy hour or free birthday meals). She says you tip on the amount of the actual bill.

What do you all say?

You are correct, sir.

I usually start a 15% if they did a great job I give them more. I served some while I was in college so I am usually good to them.

Thats kind of my basis also.

What about tipping for drinks? If you are with another couple, should you tip 15-20%. That can add up in a hurry.

0% for absolutely lousy service, 10% for poor service, 15% for decent service, 20% for good service, and 20%+ for great service. In most cases, I tip 20% or more because I eat out a lot and avoid restaurants where I receive poor service.

I agree on sharing my savings with the server, especially if the server has played a hand in my party receiving any "on the house" food through no fault of their own. :lol:

0% for absolutely lousy service, 10% for poor service, 15% for decent service, 20% for good service, and 20%+ for great service. In most cases, I tip 20% or more because I eat out a lot and avoid restaurants where I receive poor service.

That's me, as well. Only no-tipped once in my life.

On how much extra cash I am carrying my wallet! :lol:

No plastic?

Thats kind of my basis also.

What about tipping for drinks? If you are with another couple, should you tip 15-20%. That can add up in a hurry.

Yeah, you should tip on alcohol, too. It can add up fast, but that's a decision you'll just have to make. :lol:

Also we don't like it when they keep coming around every 3 or 4 min asking is everything alright or do you need anything. I always have my mouth full.
That's one of my big pet peeves! I don't mind them checking once; but when they refuse to leave you alone, or feel like they have to "entertain" you, I get turned off big time. :irked: