NewCath 9 CovCath 0

98NCCalum

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My point is that, yes , coaches' offenses will evolve but they simply DO NOT and CAN NOT adjust schemes year to year. NC has completely changed their offensive philosophy. They didn't do it for one year. They realized they needed to change in order to win and they did. They're not going to suddenly go away from the spread should they get a bruiser back next year. That's my point.

Backtracking a little there aren't we? Because before you made it sound like coaches never ever change offenses and that it was unheard of for coaches to do that...Also Did I ever once say that coaches change schemes every year? I think I remember even saying that usually coaches do stick with their normal schemes usually every year, but every now and then they do get a class or two that makes them adjust their scheme with those players for a year or two...Yeah your right about NCC and that just makes my point even more. That the system they use to have wasn't the best possible scheme for the players they have, and guess what they went to a scheme that seems to fit their players abilitys better and now they go win back to back state championships? And that was the point I was trying to make to start in this thread, when you started questioning me and trying to say smart remarks back. Because I simply asked if you thought that this was the best possible system for the players they have to give them the best chance to succeed. Maybe he is forcing the system that he wants to run on them, that isn't the best for them. However I never said that this definitely wasn't the best system for the players, because who knows it may be. But I thought it was a VERY FAIR question to ask considering HOW BAD the offense has looked so far.

Backtracking a little there aren't we? Because before you made it sound like coaches never ever change offenses and that it was unheard of for coaches to do that....

No backtracking at all. My point WAS and STILL IS that coaches do not change offensive schemes year to year to suit their talent. You mentioned coaches who simply changed their offensive philosophy (ie Coach Schneider getting more aggressive).

No backtracking at all. My point WAS and STILL IS that coaches do not change offensive schemes year to year to suit their talent. You mentioned coaches who simply changed their offensive philosophy (ie Coach Schneider getting more aggressive).

And once again I never once said coaches do change their schemes every year. Because most of the time they end up having the players each year that can continue to fit their system and dont have to change schemes. My point WAS and STILL IS though that it dont make sense to force a system on a team, IF the system does not work well with the type of players you have and their is a system that COULD give them a better chance to succeed. And as I said before I never said that this wasn't the best system for this team, because maybe it is. I just simply asked if maybe this wasn't the best system for these players, and maybe if there was something else that would make them better on offense, since they have shown NOTHING at all on offense yet this year...

And once again I never once said coaches do change their schemes every year. Because most of the time they end up having the players each year that can continue to fit their system and dont have to change schemes. My point WAS and STILL IS though that it dont make sense to force a system on a team, IF the system does not work well with the type of players you have and their is a system that COULD give them a better chance to succeed. And as I said before I never said that this wasn't the best system for this team, because maybe it is. I just simply asked if maybe this wasn't the best system for these players, and maybe if there was something else that would make them better on offense, since they have shown NOTHING at all on offense yet this year...
How about that NewCath - CovCath game? :D

Haha that game featured tons of offense lol...I know I was glad to see NCC beat them, because I not a fan of CovCath at all, and love seeing the smaller schools beat the bigger schools! :thumb:
I actually like CovCath, but still a fun game to win! Proud of the boys!

The O-line is obviously the primary problem with the Colonels this season. I believe even with Buckley in there, he wouldn't have been able to go anywhere, as the O-line could do nothing with the NCC D-line. Lack of overall "O" speed is a problem also, as it seemed to me at least, that Isler had to wait and wait for the plays to develop. I am also worried about all the running that the QB has to do to get the plays from the Coach. Seems to me that there has got to be an easier way than having your starting QB, no matter who he is, running back and forth to the sidelines to get the plays.

Finally and since no one else has pointed this out, maybe I am off base, but.....I will say that this years Senior Class at CovCath has to be one of the worst as far as school spirit goes. There were no cheers (yes there was one, but it was a very poor example of the roller-coaster) but at least to me, there was no senior leadership evident in the stands. I was forewarned about the lack of spirit in this class by an 07 senior but....Saturdays game was a all time low....... What gives 08 Seniors? Where is that "With a spirit, that will not die" attitude that most Senior classes have shown over the many, many years at CovCath, with your class?

To me at least, your class was an embarrassment Saturday in the stands! The loudest cheering your class did all game was for the manager who walked by pulling a wagon.... Sad indeed....in such a close game....

Old Guy--The lines seem to have long been a strength for CovCath, but seem particularly weak so far this year. I know they are breaking in a lot of new starters, but with everyone seemingly pointing fingers at the skill position players, the "O" line in particular seems to be in disarray; do they have a new O-line coach/new schemes?

Cov Cath is just not a good football team - yet. On a good note, they have proven to play some good defense. NCC rushed for 60 yds on 36 carries. That says alot. On the offensive side of the ball, they just lack speed and talent. Last year, they had 5 bruisers upfront with tremendous skill in the backfield. This year, they have one OL in Andy Schulte and 4 unproven juniors and sophomores competing for positions. I am not going to give up on them yet. Let's not forget they only had a few starters returning and two of those guys have not seen a snap (VanSant and Buckley). Noone really expected anything out of them, so why rip them? Stand by your team. Good luck Colonels.

Cov Cath is just not a good football team - yet. On a good note, they have proven to play some good defense. NCC rushed for 60 yds on 36 carries. That says alot. On the offensive side of the ball, they just lack speed and talent. Last year, they had 5 bruisers upfront with tremendous skill in the backfield. This year, they have one OL in Andy Schulte and 4 unproven juniors and sophomores competing for positions. I am not going to give up on them yet. Let's not forget they only had a few starters returning and two of those guys have not seen a snap (VanSant and Buckley). Noone really expected anything out of them, so why rip them? Stand by your team. Good luck Colonels.

Very well said. The objective of the regular season is to improve while hopefully winning games. If you can't win, then the improving part is key.

Considering the defense is on the field alot now and that they really didn't break versus a decent offensive team like NCC, that situation might even get better if the offense comes around.

And OL play takes time to develop. So if Covcath can hold good teams to 14 or under there's always the chance that the O starts producing enough to win. Patience. Heck look at NCC last year. 2-5 start and struggling on offense and then boom it all kicked in.

As I said after the LaSalle game, this team more than others is going to to look at week 11 as the big game of the year. By then, the o-line will have gelled as well as they can , the inexperience will be replaced by experience, and we can then see what type of team we have. Until then, its all practice.

As I said after the LaSalle game, this team more than others is going to to look at week 11 as the big game of the year. By then, the o-line will have gelled as well as they can , the inexperience will be replaced by experience, and we can then see what type of team we have. Until then, its all practice.

They could very well be playing HHS in week 11. Problem is every other team will have gelled and inexperience will have been replaced, and so on and so on.

I hope Pat V. gets back soon. What a great kid. How is he coming along?

They could very well be playing HHS in week 11. Problem is every other team will have gelled and inexperience will have been replaced, and so on and so on.

I hope Pat V. gets back soon. What a great kid. How is he coming along?

See, you've gone "glass half empty" while I've tried to go the other way.:lol:

PVS: Not sure. He's not even close to returning from what I understand. Outstanding athlete - better kid. Lots of big time potential with his size and speed combo.